Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 164

Thread: Let's try to pick the perfect juror

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    277

    Let's try to pick the perfect juror

    I've thought a lot about the perfect juror in this case, both from the defense and prosecution perspective. It's going to be a long trial, so not just anyone can/will be able to serve for time limitations. It may be moved and the jury sequestered, so that may be a restriction for some people, like with health problems or such. I'd like to hear some qualifications think might be looked at from either side.

    Defense:
    Will likely want some young people who might identify with the 'party' lifestyle. Young parents who might have experienced stress and had an flash of anger. A middle age person might be reluctant to sentence a young woman to a long prison term. Senior citizens won't be a good pick, because they are more likely to be judgmental about the many sex partners. Hispanics may not be a good pick, because of accusing Zanny, but might be sympathetic to JB. They will need at least a couple who can understand the science. I think they will want mostly single people.

    Prosecution:
    Will want secure business people with steady backgrounds. Will want people who can understand the technology evidence, like social networking and photo accounts. They will like college grads who will find the science interesting. Young parents could be sympathetic to the state because most parents would die FOR their children, but again, stability in a home life will be very important. Senior citizens might be OK with the state, because they will be intolerant of the whole family's antics, which are expected at trial. I'm not sure the racial/ethnic juror makes a difference to the state.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,279
    The ideal jury would be 12 mothers of children with no history of child abuse

  3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sumbunny For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,903
    The perfect juror to convict: Any parent w/ no history of child abuse or neglect.

    The perfect juror to exonerate: An alien being from another planet. (Only because I assume an alien would lack basic human emotions, such as love and compassion).
    Last edited by smart blonde; 03-22-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clarification
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

  5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    623
    If you're picking a jury from the defense point of view... You'd want someone that is from a cave that speaks like Nell. (Jodie Foster movie from the 90's)

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Issi For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STEELER COUNTRY!
    Posts
    24,301
    My neighbor, very well educated, mother of 3 and her husband.
    They do not believe in Tv or radio.......and their religion (something Baptist)
    says no gossip etc. They actually had to ask me about 9-11-01...........and why flags were up. Then they read and put out their flags etc...........lots of people do not follow crimes. My husband and uncle for 2 more. IMO
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,717
    A person who understands that to be fair doesn't mean you've had to live your life with your head in the sand the past 9 months and have heard nothing about this case. A person who understands that a bias is different than past experience. A person who can maintain a "these are the facts we are presented with" attitude.

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to debs For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Issi View Post
    If you're picking a jury from the defense point of view... You'd want someone that is from a cave that speaks like Nell. (Jodie Foster movie from the 90's)

    OT: I watched the movie "Nell" today ... Natasha Richardson was brilliant! Prayers for her family!

    If you are the State you want someone who is female, middle aged or older ... preferably with children of their own, someone with a law enforcement background ... or someone that has been in some type of a positive relationship with a member of LE. The State will want people with linear analytical thinking skills based in science ... engineers, scientists, teachers, nurses ... etc, a conservative ... yes, even Christian ...

    If you are the defense you want someone young or someone that had children young, who has a lot of "real life" experiences ... they will look for someone who is politically and socially liberal with a background in liberal arts ... someone prone to writing poetry, studying literature or the abstract ... someone who is normally able to think "outside of the box."
    Clue: Satsuma Edition

    It was the psycho-sicko in the trailer park with a brick-o-block!

    "Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations" ~ "inside" motto of the CIA and the entire Anthony family!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Can't believe she is 4!!



  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to one_hooah_wife For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,717
    No offense, One Hooah......If I were defense, I'd steer clear from other single young mothers. While they might know the struggles involved in parenting a child when barely past childhood themselves, I'm gonna guess not any one of them is accused of killing their toddler.....that could backfire in a bad way.

  15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to debs For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    west of Middle of Nowhere Missouri
    Posts
    316
    Gosh you know I have been pondering this very question. Ive heard it mentioned a few times by the various talking heads, but I honestly can't put my finger on who could sit ithe jury box on this case. I realize we could never find a person who doesn't have preconcieved notions about guilt or innocence, partly because of the sunshine laws. I don't think they need to find jurors who have no knowledge of the case, just those whose can look beyond their own opinions and decide if the state has met its burden of proof. I don't think the defense wants a bunch of mama's on that jury, I think we would be the most harsh in deciding Casey's fate. I was a young mother, I had my first child at 20, though my life was much different than Casey. I was married and subsequently had 4 more wonderful kids. I still think a mother like me would be very very judgemental of someone who could not raise her child, and utlimately took the child's life. I think ultimately a very conservative religious person would make a great juror. I think the defense would have opportunity to play their "science is junk" card, and hopefully the state would be able to get them to see the "eye for an eye" theory and want to convict. Fairness, and a sense of personal responsibility above all else would be great qualities for a juror. I'm sure glad I don't live in Florida, this is one jury they don't want me anywhere near!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mimimama5 For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,785
    I love this topic, but have nothing to offer other than this:

    Helpful for the defense: Childless, single men under the age of 45.
    Engineers. Paralegals, Aspiring attorneys.

    Helpful for the prosecution: Women who've had children and are over the age of 35.
    Hawk. My BFF

  19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Friday For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by debs View Post
    No offense, One Hooah......If I were defense, I'd steer clear from other single young mothers. While they might know the struggles involved in parenting a child when barely past childhood themselves, I'm gonna guess not any one of them is accused of killing their toddler.....that could backfire in a bad way.
    I see what you are saying and in part I agree ... it could backfire ... but for just a minute look at the people who have sympathized with Casey or posited her innocence here on WS ... I have noticed that most of them are mothers ... who became mothers at a very young age! Just go back and read the "Caylee is Alive" threads and you will see what I mean ... many of the same members that believed Caylee was alive, way back then, have come back to defend KC ... a lot of them actually believe KC's stories.

    That said I had my oldest daughter when I was 19 ... and I think KC is guilty as homemade sin. But I was brought up as, and remain to this day a conservative Christian. I have a strong educational background in science and in law. I still think that young mothers with an "open mind" and prone to liberal thinking, will be what the defense seeks.
    Clue: Satsuma Edition

    It was the psycho-sicko in the trailer park with a brick-o-block!

    "Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations" ~ "inside" motto of the CIA and the entire Anthony family!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Can't believe she is 4!!



  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one_hooah_wife For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    525
    If you look at anti-Casey Anthony groups on facebook and stuff it's amost all women (both young and old). All the "I wanna bang Casey Anthony" groups are made of horny guys in their 20s--don't know if they were on a jury, if they would be able to look past her looks and convict her but if they had any brains they would. In terms of who the defense would want, I think people from working, middle classed backgrounds who aren't impressed by high priced defense experts. People who work hard for their money and are disgusted by the fact that KC would rather sit on her ass and steal money from her child's funds/piggy bank instead of getting a real job to provide for her.

  23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to trixi491 For This Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,973
    I just finished Nancy Grace's book, Objection!, which deals with the uber importance of jury selection. Her stories of past jurors and their effects on trials are very interesting. I enjoyed the book and read it in one sitting today.

    ps. I hope that NG does not read this thread, she might Object! I bought her book at the dollar store, I went in looking for cheapo Easter baskets and there she was, upfront in the overstock $ 1 book bin. Sorry about that friend.

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zippitydoda For This Useful Post:


  26. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    close to the beach :)
    Posts
    227
    IMO....

    Defense:
    Females...lower income, ages 21-38, w/2 or more children under 12 (different fathers), little to no education, single, and has experienced some sort of family abuse perpetrated by a male, mistrust or fear of LE and/or government, reads magazines but not newspapers, watches talk, game, and reality TV shows, basic computer knowledge....race: any

    Males...low to middle income, ages 35-50 w/wo children, little to no education, single, raised in a 2 parent home with history of alcohol or drug abuse, mistrust of LE and/or government, no magazine or newspaper reading, watches violent TV shows and/or movies...race: minority

    State:
    Females... any income, age 30-50, w/wo children, high school+ education, in a committed relationship, raised primarily by a stay-at-home mother, good relationship with father, employed steadily for at least 5 years or stay-at-home mom. reads magazines but no newspapers, watches comedies and reality TV shows, is computer savy....race: any

    Males:....middle/upper income, 50-70, w/grandchildren, high school+ education, married, steady career or retired, reads newspapers but no magazines, watches crime TV and documentary shows...advanced computer knowledge.....race: any
    JMO

    "I...am not...stopping anymore...for you...to get...a file"

    "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes, it is how they lived." Inscription on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Washington, DC

  27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dax For This Useful Post:


  28. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,088
    The perfect juror? The one who votes guilty.
    The heart of the pure can see, but my eyes have never seen the unicorn . . .

  29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ExpectingUnicorns For This Useful Post:


  30. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by trixi491 View Post
    If you look at anti-Casey Anthony groups on facebook and stuff it's amost all women (both young and old). All the "I wanna bang Casey Anthony" groups are made of horny guys in their 20s--don't know if they were on a jury, if they would be able to look past her looks and convict her but if they had any brains they would. In terms of who the defense would want, I think people from working, middle classed backgrounds who aren't impressed by high priced defense experts. People who work hard for their money and are disgusted by the fact that KC would rather sit on her ass and steal money from her child's funds/piggy bank instead of getting a real job to provide for her.

    Tell me you jest....

  31. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    I love this topic, but have nothing to offer other than this:

    Helpful for the defense: Childless, single men under the age of 45.
    Engineers. Paralegals, Aspiring attorneys.

    Helpful for the prosecution: Women who've had children and are over the age of 35.
    ------------------
    I can offer they wouldn't want me toward defense How about a Nancy type? sounds good to me.Put a couple moms who have lost children to illness,drunk drivers etc.

  32. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    FLORIDA!
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    I love this topic, but have nothing to offer other than this:

    Helpful for the defense: Childless, single men under the age of 45.
    Engineers. Paralegals, Aspiring attorneys.

    Helpful for the prosecution: Women who've had children and are over the age of 35.
    I'll volunteer. Honestly, I think she did it, but I can be unbiased and look at the facts and science closely. FWIW, I wouldn't have found OJ guilty based on the evidence presented.

    I'm 36 years old, married, stay at home wife, and wishing like everything that I could have a child of my own. My major in college was Criminal Justice and Pyschology. Bring it on...I'm ready for the challenge!

    Oh yeah, and I'm in Florida! Do I qualify?
    This post is my opinion only unless supported with a link.

  33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bree0372 For This Useful Post:


  34. #19
    ecs5298's Avatar
    ecs5298 is offline Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL & Hardwood Mulch King & Bacon Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    United States of Bacon
    Posts
    9,284
    The perfect juror would be 12 of me.

    We could start deliberations right after the state's opening statement and return a guilty verdict before the morning coffee break. I mean everyone has better things to than sit in court all day. There are plenty of things to see in Orlando, why spend time listening to the defense's fictional stories.

    How about this? An internet jury! We could all be on it. Your jury selection question could be a pic of Casey with the choice of caption of "Hottie" or "Murderer". Anyone who picked "Hottie" would not be picked for the jury, those who picked "Murderer" would be.

    Just an idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    "When it all goes down the crapper, don't come crying to me. You were warned" - ecs5298, November 6, 2012

  35. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ecs5298 For This Useful Post:


  36. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    575
    Can you say "Strawberry Shortcake?"

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EasyGruuvin For This Useful Post:


  38. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by dax View Post
    IMO....

    Defense:
    Females...lower income, ages 21-38, w/2 or more children under 12 (different fathers), little to no education, single, and has experienced some sort of family abuse perpetrated by a male, mistrust or fear of LE and/or government, reads magazines but not newspapers, watches talk, game, and reality TV shows, basic computer knowledge....race: any

    Males...low to middle income, ages 35-50 w/wo children, little to no education, single, raised in a 2 parent home with history of alcohol or drug abuse, mistrust of LE and/or government, no magazine or newspaper reading, watches violent TV shows and/or movies...race: minority

    State:
    Females... any income, age 30-50, w/wo children, high school+ education, in a committed relationship, raised primarily by a stay-at-home mother, good relationship with father, employed steadily for at least 5 years or stay-at-home mom. reads magazines but no newspapers, watches comedies and reality TV shows, is computer savy....race: any

    Males:....middle/upper income, 50-70, w/grandchildren, high school+ education, married, steady career or retired, reads newspapers but no magazines, watches crime TV and documentary shows...advanced computer knowledge.....race: any

    I agree..that being said, I think during deliberation the older, more educated individuals (aka the good jurors for the prosecution) will be able to convince and sway the younger, less educated ones.

  39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trixi491 For This Useful Post:


  40. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by one_hooah_wife View Post
    I see what you are saying and in part I agree ... it could backfire ... but for just a minute look at the people who have sympathized with Casey or posited her innocence here on WS ... I have noticed that most of them are mothers ... who became mothers at a very young age! Just go back and read the "Caylee is Alive" threads and you will see what I mean ... many of the same members that believed Caylee was alive, way back then, have come back to defend KC ... a lot of them actually believe KC's stories.

    That said I had my oldest daughter when I was 19 ... and I think KC is guilty as homemade sin. But I was brought up as, and remain to this day a conservative Christian. I have a strong educational background in science and in law. I still think that young mothers with an "open mind" and prone to liberal thinking, will be what the defense seeks.

    I typically agree with every word you utter, but here I must respectfully disagree. I was just thinking that most of the single moms in these threads start their statements with: "I was a young single mom, but I didn't do that" or some variation thereof.

  41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sua_sponte For This Useful Post:


  42. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,060
    I'm so glad the Octoman is not in Fl, as crazy as this case is I could just picture her being picked to be on the jury if she was in Fl, and she'd be beaming and joking about being on vacation!

    I do worry that there will be a juror or 2 who will try to do something while on the jury, make a book deal etc. I want to see 12 common sense people who can understand the science and know that evil can look pretty in a picture and still do terrible things.

    VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

  43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegas Bride For This Useful Post:


  44. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In a bubble.
    Posts
    2,293
    How about just 12 people who aren't sociopaths? Can we start there?

  45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DotsEyes For This Useful Post:


  46. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    45
    I think it will be interesting to see who actually does make it on the jury. I forget - how many can they weed out? Obviously they will have to ask a lot of questions about what coverage with the case potential jurors are aware of and if they've already formed a bias. But honestly, the state still has to prove the case. They could go in there in there and blow it or the defense could blow enough holes into the evidence presented that her guilt is beyond a reasonable doubt....

    That said, I'm thinking......people who are educated/savvy enough to understand/follow entomological, forensic and electronic data evidence; persons employed in the science, medical, IT backgrounds would all make good possible jurors.

    Issi - I loved your Nell comment - that really gave me a good laugh.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Perfect Murder/Perfect Town DVD
    By Solace in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
  2. perfect murder perfect town on lifetime
    By srvfan in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
  3. Perfect Murder, Perfect Town.....
    By little1 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 11:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •