Let's try to pick the perfect juror

newuser

Reaction score
I've thought a lot about the perfect juror in this case, both from the defense and prosecution perspective. It's going to be a long trial, so not just anyone can/will be able to serve for time limitations. It may be moved and the jury sequestered, so that may be a restriction for some people, like with health problems or such. I'd like to hear some qualifications think might be looked at from either side.

Defense:
Will likely want some young people who might identify with the 'party' lifestyle. Young parents who might have experienced stress and had an flash of anger. A middle age person might be reluctant to sentence a young woman to a long prison term. Senior citizens won't be a good pick, because they are more likely to be judgmental about the many sex partners. Hispanics may not be a good pick, because of accusing Zanny, but might be sympathetic to JB. They will need at least a couple who can understand the science. I think they will want mostly single people.

Prosecution:
Will want secure business people with steady backgrounds. Will want people who can understand the technology evidence, like social networking and photo accounts. They will like college grads who will find the science interesting. Young parents could be sympathetic to the state because most parents would die FOR their children, but again, stability in a home life will be very important. Senior citizens might be OK with the state, because they will be intolerant of the whole family's antics, which are expected at trial. I'm not sure the racial/ethnic juror makes a difference to the state.

The ideal jury would be 12 mothers of children with no history of child abuse

The perfect juror to convict: Any parent w/ no history of child abuse or neglect.

The perfect juror to exonerate: An alien being from another planet. (Only because I assume an alien would lack basic human emotions, such as love and compassion).

If you're picking a jury from the defense point of view... You'd want someone that is from a cave that speaks like Nell. (Jodie Foster movie from the 90's)

My neighbor, very well educated, mother of 3 and her husband.
They do not believe in Tv or radio.......and their religion (something Baptist)
says no gossip etc. They actually had to ask me about 9-11-01...........and why flags were up. Then they read and put out their flags etc...........lots of people do not follow crimes. My husband and uncle for 2 more. IMO

A person who understands that to be fair doesn't mean you've had to live your life with your head in the sand the past 9 months and have heard nothing about this case. A person who understands that a bias is different than past experience. A person who can maintain a "these are the facts we are presented with" attitude.

If you're picking a jury from the defense point of view... You'd want someone that is from a cave that speaks like Nell. (Jodie Foster movie from the 90's)

OT: I watched the movie "Nell" today ... Natasha Richardson was brilliant! Prayers for her family!

If you are the State you want someone who is female, middle aged or older ... preferably with children of their own, someone with a law enforcement background ... or someone that has been in some type of a positive relationship with a member of LE. The State will want people with linear analytical thinking skills based in science ... engineers, scientists, teachers, nurses ... etc, a conservative ... yes, even Christian ...

If you are the defense you want someone young or someone that had children young, who has a lot of "real life" experiences ... they will look for someone who is politically and socially liberal with a background in liberal arts ... someone prone to writing poetry, studying literature or the abstract ... someone who is normally able to think "outside of the box."

No offense, One Hooah......If I were defense, I'd steer clear from other single young mothers. While they might know the struggles involved in parenting a child when barely past childhood themselves, I'm gonna guess not any one of them is accused of killing their toddler.....that could backfire in a bad way.

Gosh you know I have been pondering this very question. Ive heard it mentioned a few times by the various talking heads, but I honestly can't put my finger on who could sit ithe jury box on this case. I realize we could never find a person who doesn't have preconcieved notions about guilt or innocence, partly because of the sunshine laws. I don't think they need to find jurors who have no knowledge of the case, just those whose can look beyond their own opinions and decide if the state has met its burden of proof. I don't think the defense wants a bunch of mama's on that jury, I think we would be the most harsh in deciding Casey's fate. I was a young mother, I had my first child at 20, though my life was much different than Casey. I was married and subsequently had 4 more wonderful kids. I still think a mother like me would be very very judgemental of someone who could not raise her child, and utlimately took the child's life. I think ultimately a very conservative religious person would make a great juror. I think the defense would have opportunity to play their "science is junk" card, and hopefully the state would be able to get them to see the "eye for an eye" theory and want to convict. Fairness, and a sense of personal responsibility above all else would be great qualities for a juror. I'm sure glad I don't live in Florida, this is one jury they don't want me anywhere near!

I love this topic, but have nothing to offer other than this:

Helpful for the defense: Childless, single men under the age of 45.
Engineers. Paralegals, Aspiring attorneys.

Helpful for the prosecution: Women who've had children and are over the age of 35.

No offense, One Hooah......If I were defense, I'd steer clear from other single young mothers. While they might know the struggles involved in parenting a child when barely past childhood themselves, I'm gonna guess not any one of them is accused of killing their toddler.....that could backfire in a bad way.

I see what you are saying and in part I agree ... it could backfire ... but for just a minute look at the people who have sympathized with Casey or posited her innocence here on WS ... I have noticed that most of them are mothers ... who became mothers at a very young age! Just go back and read the "Caylee is Alive" threads and you will see what I mean ... many of the same members that believed Caylee was alive, way back then, have come back to defend KC ... a lot of them actually believe KC's stories.

That said I had my oldest daughter when I was 19 ... and I think KC is guilty as homemade sin. But I was brought up as, and remain to this day a conservative Christian. I have a strong educational background in science and in law. I still think that young mothers with an "open mind" and prone to liberal thinking, will be what the defense seeks.

If you look at anti-Casey Anthony groups on facebook and stuff it's amost all women (both young and old). All the "I wanna bang Casey Anthony" groups are made of horny guys in their 20s--don't know if they were on a jury, if they would be able to look past her looks and convict her but if they had any brains they would. In terms of who the defense would want, I think people from working, middle classed backgrounds who aren't impressed by high priced defense experts. People who work hard for their money and are disgusted by the fact that KC would rather sit on her *advertiser censored* and steal money from her child's funds/piggy bank instead of getting a real job to provide for her.

I just finished Nancy Grace's book, Objection!, which deals with the uber importance of jury selection. Her stories of past jurors and their effects on trials are very interesting. I enjoyed the book and read it in one sitting today.

ps. I hope that NG does not read this thread, she might Object! I bought her book at the dollar store, I went in looking for cheapo Easter baskets and there she was, upfront in the overstock $ 1 book bin. Sorry about that friend.

IMO....

Defense:
Females...lower income, ages 21-38, w/2 or more children under 12 (different fathers), little to no education, single, and has experienced some sort of family abuse perpetrated by a male, mistrust or fear of LE and/or government, reads magazines but not newspapers, watches talk, game, and reality TV shows, basic computer knowledge....race: any

Males...low to middle income, ages 35-50 w/wo children, little to no education, single, raised in a 2 parent home with history of alcohol or drug abuse, mistrust of LE and/or government, no magazine or newspaper reading, watches violent TV shows and/or movies...race: minority

State:
Females... any income, age 30-50, w/wo children, high school+ education, in a committed relationship, raised primarily by a stay-at-home mother, good relationship with father, employed steadily for at least 5 years or stay-at-home mom. reads magazines but no newspapers, watches comedies and reality TV shows, is computer savy....race: any

Males:....middle/upper income, 50-70, w/grandchildren, high school+ education, married, steady career or retired, reads newspapers but no magazines, watches crime TV and documentary shows...advanced computer knowledge.....race: any

If you look at anti-Casey Anthony groups on facebook and stuff it's amost all women (both young and old). All the "I wanna bang Casey Anthony" groups are made of horny guys in their 20s--don't know if they were on a jury, if they would be able to look past her looks and convict her but if they had any brains they would. In terms of who the defense would want, I think people from working, middle classed backgrounds who aren't impressed by high priced defense experts. People who work hard for their money and are disgusted by the fact that KC would rather sit on her *advertiser censored* and steal money from her child's funds/piggy bank instead of getting a real job to provide for her.

:eek:
Tell me you jest....

Helpful for the prosecution: Women who've had children and are over the age of 35.
------------------
I can offer they wouldn't want me toward defense:furious: How about a Nancy type? sounds good to me.Put a couple moms who have lost children to illness,drunk drivers etc.:mad:

I'll volunteer. Honestly, I think she did it, but I can be unbiased and look at the facts and science closely. FWIW, I wouldn't have found OJ guilty based on the evidence presented. :eek:

I'm 36 years old, married, stay at home wife, and wishing like everything that I could have a child of my own. My major in college was Criminal Justice and Pyschology. Bring it on...I'm ready for the challenge! :woohoo:

Oh yeah, and I'm in Florida! Do I qualify?:confused: :crazy:

The perfect juror would be 12 of me.

We could start deliberations right after the state's opening statement and return a guilty verdict before the morning coffee break. I mean everyone has better things to than sit in court all day. There are plenty of things to see in Orlando, why spend time listening to the defense's fictional stories.

How about this? An internet jury! We could all be on it. Your jury selection question could be a pic of Casey with the choice of caption of "Hottie" or "Murderer". Anyone who picked "Hottie" would not be picked for the jury, those who picked "Murderer" would be.

Just an idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back