805 users online (128 members and 677 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Or someone posing as a priest...

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    If the religious aspect has any validity, it might have been a former seminarian or a defrocked priest.
    I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

If you look in the thread about Suspects, you will see a story that I posted about a guy named Elwood Leroy Leuschner. Leuschner murdered two little boys on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in 1977. It has never been established exactly when he first appeared in Maryland, but he was paroled from prison in California in early 1974.

Leuschner had been serving time there for the rape of a 12-year-old girl. He had dressed up in a Priest's frock and asked the little girl to help him carry some boxes into a church, and when she did, he raped her inside the church. Leuschner was probably not very religious, and I am sure that there is a special place in hell for him today, but he used the Priest disguise to gain the child's confidence.

Richard...................

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

If you look in the thread about Suspects, you will see a story that I posted about a guy named Elwood Leroy Leuschner. Leuschner murdered two little boys on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in 1977. It has never been established exactly when he first appeared in Maryland, but he was paroled from prison in California in early 1974.

Leuschner had been serving time there for the rape of a 12-year-old girl. He had dressed up in a Priest's frock and asked the little girl to help him carry some boxes into a church, and when she did, he raped her inside the church. Leuschner was probably not very religious, and I am sure that there is a special place in hell for him today, but he used the Priest disguise to gain the child's confidence.
    I just thought this case was interesting because it happened not to far away, the girl went to catholic school and a minister is mentioned.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...chia_mary.html

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof5 View Post
    I just thought this case was interesting because it happened not to far away, the girl went to catholic school and a minister is mentioned.

wow, I wonder what made this guy come forward after 29 years?? I also wonder who the Presbytarian clergy was. And if he had any connections anywhere else with disappearances. If he had something to do with this girl, he certainly has other cases. And it sounds like he is just out there walkin' the streets. I'd really like to know more about this clergy fellow.
    Children don't stop dancing

Tracking Dogs and weather...

Quote Originally Posted by SharetheLight View Post
    ...As I sit and listen to the rain pouring down outside, I am reminded that the Lyon sisters were abducted in the rainy season. It didn't rain the day they were taken, but it rained the day before and the day after making searches for the girls difficult. I don't know if the rain affects dog searches. Maybe someone familiar with tracking dogs can answer that one.....

I have trained tracking dogs. Weather does indeed play a part in tracking. Where rain is concerned, it helps if rain has dampened and cooled an area before a track is laid down (that is before the person being tracked passes through an area). But it does tend to wash scent off trees, bushes, sidewalks, etc AFTER the scent has been left.

Hot and dry weather actually makes for the most difficult tracking conditions. Scent evaporates and dissipates with heat and dry vegetation and dirt do not hold the scent as well.

Time, of course, is also a limiting factor as the older the scent, the more it fades.

Dogs have a phenominal scense of smell, far beyond any human can understand. A well trained and focussed tracking dog can pick up a scent that is more than 24 hours old and immediately KNOW which way the person was headed.

A tracking dog and his trainer/handler work as a team and it takes both to be successful.

Mary Anne Verdecchia

She is a pretty little girl. It would be nice to solve the case and perhaps bring her home.

Spring Break

College Spring Break does not coincide with Easter Break. The late March timeframe is late for colleges.

In 1975 the University of MD's spring break began 3/21

Quote Originally Posted by SharetheLight View Post
    In 1975 the University of MD's spring break began 3/21
    Great find!!!

This is from the Washington Star article 4/6/75.
    snipped by me-

Melanie and her sister, Cassandra, 16, are frequent companions of Sheila and Kate. The night before they had played gin rummy together until 10 p.m. in the Ganas' Kitchen. They live several doors from the Lyons on the other side of the street.

Sheila was friends with Cassandra,who was a bit older than her at 16. The girls were at Cassandra's house until 10:00 pm the night before they went missing. I wonder if there was anyone else over there playing gin rummy that night,any other older teenagers or adults? Cassandra's other friends,parents,parents' friends,relatives?

Same article,also snipped by me-

Kate said no, that she couldn't come up to play with me," Melanie, a beautiful dark-eyed little girl, recalled later. "She said she had to go to the Plaza (Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center) and get out of the house because her father was sleeping.

"She wanted me to go with them and I said, No, my mother doesn't let me walk up there by myself." At that, Melanie cast a glance at her mother, sitting on the other side of the Ganas living room.

"I believe I said you don't have any business up there," said Mrs. Ganas. "I just never believed in it. I thought there was a possibility of danger with girls going up there at a young age."

"I had asked Kate what time she was going to be home," Melanie recalled. "Kate said, 'three.' I said, 'I'll call you then; and Kate said. 'all right.'"

We've discussed the fact that the girls decided to go to the mall at the last minute,we know that this is true due to Mary Lyon's interview.However,Kate's friend,Melanie Ganas,knew that the girls were getting ready to leave for the mall when she called and when they planned to be home because Kate had told her.That means that anyone at Melanie's house could know this too. She also knew that the girls would be together and that their dad would be home sleeping. I'm wondering who was at Melanie's house on 3/24 & 3/25 1975?

SNIPPED FOR SPACE BY ME

"I had asked Kate what time she was going to be home," Melanie recalled. "Kate said, 'three.' I said, 'I'll call you then; and Kate said. 'all right.'"

We've discussed the fact that the girls decided to go to the mall at the last minute,we know that this is true due to Mary Lyon's interview.However,Kate's friend,Melanie Ganas,knew that the girls were getting ready to leave for the mall when she called and when they planned to be home because Kate had told her.That means that anyone at Melanie's house could know this too. She also knew that the girls would be together and that their dad would be home sleeping. I'm wondering who was at Melanie's house on 3/24 & 3/25 1975?
    She also knew what time they'd be coming home.

Easter Vacation............

I was thinking about the mall that day. Sometimes around xmas,there will be groups singing or playing xmas music for the many shoppers.I was wondering if anyone who lived in the area back then and had been to Wheaton Plaza around different holidays,might know if they ever had this type of thing at the mall? I'm wondering if there was any other type of Easter thing going on that day other than the bunny?

I was thinking about the mall that day. Sometimes around xmas,there will be groups singing or playing xmas music for the many shoppers.I was wondering if anyone who lived in the area back then and had been to Wheaton Plaza around different holidays,might know if they ever had this type of thing at the mall? I'm wondering if there was any other type of Easter thing going on that day other than the bunny?
    MO5 there were some locals posting here, but they haven't been around lately. There was a friend of the lyon family who lived nearby when this happened, Thrasher, I think.
    And then there was a local poster who saw TRM in a mall some day other than 3/25. The name escapes me right now, anyway these two made many posts so maybe they can help with this question as to what types of outside entertainment may have been in the mall during Easter time in 1975.
    There are other local posters as well.
    I lived in Mont. Co. at the time, but I was too young to recollect what type of entertainment may have been in the mall.

Good question.

Maryland Day...................

This is part of another article I found-

Charlotte Observer, The (NC) - March 13, 1987

COFFEY A POTENTIAL SUSPECT` IN MARYLAND CASE
    In Maryland, kids loved March 25. It used to be Maryland Day, a school holiday.On such days in Montgomery County, kids streamed into the Wheaton Plaza.The only shopping center in the area, it was a magnet for kids. On March 25, 1975, Sheila and Katherine Lyon joined the throngs of kids shopping and socializing at the mall, which is less than a mile from their home. Sheila was about to turn 13. Katherine was about to turn 11.

This is about Maryland Day-(from Wikipedia)

Maryland Day is a legal holiday in the U.S. state of Maryland. It is observed on the anniversary of the March 25, 1634, landing of settlers in the Province of Maryland.

On this day settlers from The Ark and The Dove first stepped foot onto Maryland soil, at St. Clement's Island in the Potomac River. The colony was granted to Cęcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore two years prior by Charles I of England. In thanksgiving for the safe landing, Jesuit Father Andrew White celebrated mass for the colonists, perhaps for the first time ever in this part of the world. The landing coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation, a holy day honoring Mary, and the start of the new year in England's legal calendar (prior to 1752).

The holiday began in 1903, the date chosen by the state board of education to honor Maryland history. In 1916, the legislature authorized Maryland Day as a legal holiday (Chapter 633, Acts of 1916).
    Last edited by Motherof5; 06-09-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: adding to

This is part of another article I found-

Charlotte Observer, The (NC) - March 13, 1987

COFFEY A POTENTIAL SUSPECT` IN MARYLAND CASE
    In Maryland, kids loved March 25. It used to be Maryland Day, a school holiday.On such days in Montgomery County, kids streamed into the Wheaton Plaza.The only shopping center in the area, it was a magnet for kids. On March 25, 1975, Sheila and Katherine Lyon joined the throngs of kids shopping and socializing at the mall, which is less than a mile from their home. Sheila was about to turn 13. Katherine was about to turn 11.

This is about Maryland Day-(from Wikipedia)

Maryland Day is a legal holiday in the U.S. state of Maryland. It is observed on the anniversary of the March 25, 1634, landing of settlers in the Province of Maryland.

On this day settlers from The Ark and The Dove first stepped foot onto Maryland soil, at St. Clement's Island in the Potomac River. The colony was granted to Cęcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore two years prior by Charles I of England. In thanksgiving for the safe landing, Jesuit Father Andrew White celebrated mass for the colonists, perhaps for the first time ever in this part of the world. The landing coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation, a holy day honoring Mary, and the start of the new year in England's legal calendar (prior to 1752).

The holiday began in 1903, the date chosen by the state board of education to honor Maryland history. In 1916, the legislature authorized Maryland Day as a legal holiday (Chapter 633, Acts of 1916).
    We used to get out of school for MD day, and the courts used to close for MD day. I don't think they do anymore.
    I don't remember when that changed. Maybe sometime in the last 18 years??

I guess in 1975 Md Day coincided with Easter Break.

No one has posted to this particular topic for a while, but it could be of interest when comparing the Lyon case with others.

Factors which went into their aparent abduction from a shopping center in the days before Easter, when school was on break, might be similar to other cases. Did the perpetrator commit similar crimes before and after 25 March 1975? If so, perhaps he did so in similar circumstances.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast