Shamwow vs. Zorbeez: Which works Better? As Seen On TV Lab Test

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The Claim:

In a radio interview on Feb. 10, 2009, infomercial superstar Billy Mays claimed that the popular Shamwow has trod on the turf of Zorbeez, a super-absorbent towel he promoted in a separate infomercial about two years prior.

Zorbeez is the most absorbent towel in the world, Mays said in the interview. Vince, host of the Shamwow ad, has now "unleashed and woken up the sleeping giant," Mays said, suggesting the two settle the score via a "pitch-off." Mays predicted the outcome: "Shampow!"

Mays said Vince tried apologizing over e-mail, to which he replied, apology not accepted. "Don't knock Billy Mays off," Mays said. "Don't take my products. I take it personally. And I'm gonna take 'em back." He added, "Zorbeez was mine."

"Billy Mays doesn't take this," Mays said. "I am the ultimate pitchman."

In conclusion, Mays rapped, "I ain't the Beastie Boys or Run DMC. I'm Billy Mays, I'm gonna knock you … down to your knees!"
The Test:

We put the rival rags head-to-head in a spill test of some blueberry beer we had lying around. We also soaked snow puddles and clocked drying times.
The Verdict:

Shamwow, by a mile.

Both products smelled awful, however.

Much more info at link:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4309587.html

:floorlaugh: Thanks DK! By the way, that Vince guy's voice really gets on my nerves. I can't quite place what region that accent comes from, drives me nuts.

Vince Offer (shamwow dude) is doing a different commercial now... time I heard his voice, I turned the tv off. LoL

Found it... he is doing the slap chop commercial. (can't believe the guy is well into his 40's... thought he was a kid)

I bought the Shamwows and am not impressed at all. Waste of money.

My hubby and I caught something on the shamwow commercial:
Watch closely when he pours the soda on the piece of carpet and lifts the carpet up in front...soda spiils out in front of the carpet...in the next second he says "we're gonna do this in real time." Well when he says that and lays the carpet back down suddenly there is NO soda spilled out in front anymore.
Hmmmm where did it go if thats in "real time?"

My local news station tested Shamwow at a local Fire Dept. They said, in their opinion, it works better than towels to wash their truck, clean counters, etc. and they are pretty absorbant. They don't think it does all the commercial claims, but it is worth the money for them - seeing how many they have to clean up after! LOL!

Billy Mays has the most irritating screaming voice on TV. Vince follows with a close second, LOL. I never heard of the Zorbeez (how lucky I missed that infomercial), but I do have the Shamwow which I got at Walgreens. They work pretty well, but I agree that the infomercials are a bit dishonest. When the dogs knocked over their full water bowl in the kitchen I used the Shamwow to pick it up, but it didn't absorb it all immediately to bone dry like they suggest.

Billy Mays has the most irritating screaming voice on TV. Vince follows with a close second, LOL. I never heard of the Zorbeez (how lucky I missed that infomercial), but I do have the Shamwow which I got at Walgreens. They work pretty well, but I agree that the infomercials are a bit dishonest. When the dogs knocked over their full water bowl in the kitchen I used the Shamwow to pick it up, but it didn't absorb it all immediately to bone dry like they suggest.

LOL! I agree about Billy Mays and his voice. I've been wanting to try the Shamwow but I never see it being sold. Most of the infomercial products I've tried were complete rip-offs. Though, I recently brought Smooth Away and that worked pretty good. Does anyone else remember the infomercials for the ab rocker, the super slicer, and the ginsu knives? I brought them all and was sadly disappointed.

We were having this discussion at lunch the other day. I also thought that Vince was just a kid. All of these items are a rip off to me.

LOL, I have a funny story. When my oldest son was about 6, he saw this pancake thing on t.v. You could pour the pancake in and then close the pan and flip it and it promised the perfect pancake everytime. He had to have it, so we ordered one. It comes and he can't wait to try it and it was a flop. He was soooo disappointed. From then on out, everytime he saw that commercial he would tell anyone who would listen that it was a ripoff.

I don't know if anyone remembers The Chopper?

That was the only infomercial item I tried and it did work great for dicing up onions and stuff. It was a gift, it broke and I never replaced it. It wasn't the most important kitchen gadget to replace I guess.

Shamwows looked pretty impressive, thanks for all your reviews!

Slightly O/T---My friend is an SLP (Speech & Language Pathologist) at a local elementary school. She told me that one of the words she has used in speech therapy sessions was "Shamwow". LOL! Say it several times....it does give your lips a bit of a workout. hee hee

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::whistle:

LOL! I agree about Billy Mays and his voice. I've been wanting to try the Shamwow but I never see it being sold. Most of the infomercial products I've tried were complete rip-offs. Though, I recently brought Smooth Away and that worked pretty good. Does anyone else remember the infomercials for the ab rocker, the super slicer, and the ginsu knives? I brought them all and was sadly disappointed.

Darn, I have been contemplating the ab rocker.

You would think he would have had one of them shamwows in his pocket to absorb up all that blood on his face.

ABC radio is reporting that charges will not be filed against either person, oddly enough. Isn't prostitution illegal, besides the assaults? :confused:

I don't know if anyone remembers The Chopper?

That was the only infomercial item I tried and it did work great for dicing up onions and stuff. It was a gift, it broke and I never replaced it. It wasn't the most important kitchen gadget to replace I guess.

Shamwows looked pretty impressive, thanks for all your reviews!

Sorry to quote myself and for being O/T- "The Chopper" is now "The Slap Chop" (improved version) and Vince is the pitch man.

I like his voice better than Billy Mays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back