1087 users online (270 members and 817 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Angry Dallas police delayed NFL player as relative died

    PLANO, Texas – A police officer pulled over an NFL player rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drew his gun, threatened the player with jail and held him in the hospital parking lot as she died, officials said Thursday.


    Officer Robert Powell told his commanders he drew his gun but did not point it, Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said. That was disputed by the wife of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.


    "He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News, which first reported that Powell unholstered his sidearm.




    More at link:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090326/...player_stopped
    Last edited by JBean; 03-26-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: removed text copyright infringement


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,078
    That is awful! I am soooooo glad his wife did not listen to the officer and ran to be by her mothers side.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,092

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Cretins.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,379
    That is so sad! I'm glad his wife did get to be with her mom - she was the most important person, I'm sure. I just cannot imagine having to deal with this @$$hole when my mother was dying - I probably wouldn't have been as patient as the police chief says they were.

    This officer's behavior is inexcusable and shocking since he HAD to know it was being taped. Did he really think that was okay? What a MENACE! Pulling his gun and waving it around on a traffic stop, even when he realized they were just rushing to the hospital!

    I'm so glad that it was taped and now this officer has to live with the fact that the whole world knows he's a bully and a jerk. I'll bet he gets a tiny taste of what discrimination feels like.

    And he deserves it.

    (Sorry, I am in a MOOD today. I may have to come back and edit this when I am more rational.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    389
    I am very pro police. However this sounds very abusive. If the car stopped in the parking lot of the hospital and hopsital security vertified he really was going to bedside of a dying relative........seems like a bully.

  7. #7
    I'm with the police on this 100%.

    Criminal runs a red light, leads officer on pursuit, officer calls for backup, criminal finally pulls over after 1 minute in a parking lot. When questioned, driver does not have proof of insurance. Passanger jumps out of the vehicle, police officer pulls gun, passanger flees scene ignoring police orders.

    Sorry, but i have no problem with the officer reacting the way he did.

    When the other officer confirmed that she was going to see the dying mother, I have no problem with the officer saying that he was almost done. The lady was dying for a long time, 5 minutes usually doesn't make the difference. The officer still had the responsibility to go over everything with the guy and explain that even in such circumstances the law applies. The policeman should have also explained that a lot of people can get hurt if you intentionally flee from the police.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,078
    http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=345818

    Whoa!!!!! I am so angry after seeing this!! Unbelievable.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,078
    Thank God for this!

    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...p.3e9c080.html

    “When we in the command staff reviewed the tapes,” he said, “we were embarrassed, disappointed — it’s hard to find the right words and still be professional in my role as a police chief.”

    The chief also praised Moats and his family for how they handled the officer’s behavior.

    “They exercised extraordinary patience, restraint, dealing with the behavior of our officer,” Kunkle said. “At no time did Mr. Moats identify himself as an NFL football player or expect any kind of special consideration. He handled himself very, very well.”
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    I know officers have rules to go by but there has to be some compassion too.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    This is what happens when people put on their work robot-mask and completely disconnect from what it's like to be a human among humans.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I'm with the police on this 100%.

    Criminal runs a red light, leads officer on pursuit, officer calls for backup, criminal finally pulls over after 1 minute in a parking lot. When questioned, driver does not have proof of insurance. Passanger jumps out of the vehicle, police officer pulls gun, passanger flees scene ignoring police orders.

    Sorry, but i have no problem with the officer reacting the way he did.

    When the other officer confirmed that she was going to see the dying mother, I have no problem with the officer saying that he was almost done. The lady was dying for a long time, 5 minutes usually doesn't make the difference. The officer still had the responsibility to go over everything with the guy and explain that even in such circumstances the law applies. The policeman should have also explained that a lot of people can get hurt if you intentionally flee from the police.
    The Chief of Police wasn't with this officer 100% - he has apologized for this officer's behavior.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  13. #13
    Hmmm. interesting video.

    Ok, so I have to take back the fleeing comments and the way they jumped out of the car. I think those were obvious enough that he wasn't trying to harm anyone. He did run a bunch of lights and stop signs. I understand the cop trying to get him to chill out, and I get Ryan's trying desparately to explain the situation. It is an unfortunate situation. Perhaps he should have let him go around minute 7 when he calmed down, but definately when they said she code blued. I can see both sides of the story.

    What an unfortunate event for all involved.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,681
    This cop lacks critical thinking. Obviously a car with hazard lights on, rushing to the hospital and parking in a hospital parking lot is not a reason to pull out a gun.

    BTW, the cop showed no remorse when watching the video with his bosses, and says he did everything appropriately. His reaction shocked his bosses. I hope he's fired.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    Hmmm. interesting video.

    Ok, so I have to take back the fleeing comments and the way they jumped out of the car. I think those were obvious enough that he wasn't trying to harm anyone. He did run a bunch of lights and stop signs. I understand the cop trying to get him to chill out, and I get Ryan's trying desparately to explain the situation. It is an unfortunate situation. Perhaps he should have let him go around minute 7 when he calmed down, but definately when they said she code blued. I can see both sides of the story.

    What an unfortunate event for all involved.
    Even the police chief agreed that he ran those lights and stop signs after checking to make sure that no one was coming. Kind of like ambulances and police cars do all the time in an emergency. I don't know what this town is like, but I have certainly been in our quiet-after-dark end of town and felt ridiculous sitting at a red light when there is no one awake for miles! In these circumstances, I would have felt completely justified going through with caution.

    When the other officer confirmed the story and he just kept talking, that shows a bully on a power play who has no empathy for others or reason. He knew he was being taped and either didn't care or didn't realize how completely out of bounds he was. This man is a menace to the force and will probably kill someone if he is not removed and retrained.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    This cop lacks critical thinking. Obviously a car with hazard lights on, rushing to the hospital and parking in a hospital parking lot is not a reason to pull out a gun.

    BTW, the cop showed no remorse when watching the video with his bosses, and says he did everything appropriately. His reaction shocked his bosses. I hope he's fired.
    Exactly! And his lack of understanding about what is wrong is a huge red flag about whether or not this man has the appropriate judgment to be carrying a weapon and badge. He should be fired immediately or retrained on a job where no weapon is required (and preferably no interaction with the public).

    They should be reassessing his psych profile and looking into his background. This man has something seriously wrong with his head.

    I am also normally way on the side of LE, and I always give the benefit of the doubt for the danger of a traffic stop, but this is totally over the line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2016, 08:40 PM
  2. GUILTY UT - Melissa Rowland delayed C-section baby died, 2 Jan 2004
    By blueclouds in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-21-2015, 02:12 PM
  3. SC - dad drops baby on head; delayed help, police say
    By Lovejac in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 03:42 PM
  4. TX - 11-year-old Dallas girl stabs relative 9 times: police
    By Reader in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
  5. Brooke Hogan Engaged to Dallas Cowboy Player Phil Costa
    By JerseyGirl in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM