"No Data" Incoming Texts Mystery *update - solved*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondJamesBond

Blunt Instrument
Reaction score
I don't believe we've focused our attention on the following incoming texts that AT&T logs show no data for the originator.

Date DOW Time Type From To Call Duration (min) Time to Next Event (min) Located @ Orientation to Tower Tower Located @
6/7/08 SAT 8:40:32 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 0 S-to-NW 1 Purlieu Place/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 5:57:57 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 34 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 6:34:29 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 0 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 6:34:29 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 32 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792

In the entire record from 6/1 thru 7/17 these are the only instances of incoming calls/texts for which the AT&T log is blank regarding who originated the transmission to Casey's phone.

Of note...
  • 0 of 4 instances occur when Casey's phone is near the Anthony's
  • 2 of 4 instances are simultaneous (6/16 6:34:29PM)
  • 3 of 4 instances occurred on 6/16
  • 3 of 4 instances occurred during a critical period (5:57PM-6:34:29PM)
  • 4 of 4 instances occur in the PM
  • 4 of 4 instances are incoming texts.

Do we know anything about the events of 6/7 @ 8:40PM that might give us a clue about what generates or prompts these messages to be generated?

What could possibly generate 2 simultaneous incoming text messages...to the second??

*Update 3/27* ETA: With JWG's help these entries have been resolved. With help from Georgia PI, Momtective and others we've resolved some of the previously unidentified text originators too :blowkiss:

I don't believe we've focused our attention on the following incoming texts that AT&T logs show no data for the originator.

Date DOW Time Type From To Call Duration (min) Time to Next Event (min) Located @ Orientation to Tower Tower Located @
6/7/08 SAT 8:40:32 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 0 S-to-NW 1 Purlieu Place/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 5:57:57 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 34 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 6:34:29 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 0 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/16/08 MON 6:34:29 PM INCOMING TEXT No Data Casey Anthony 32 S-to-NW 4490 North Goldenrod Rd/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792

In the entire record from 6/1 thru 7/17 these are the only instances of incoming calls/texts for which the AT&T log is blank regarding who originated the transmission to Casey's phone.

Of note...

Do we know anything about the events of 6/7 @ 8:40PM that might give us a clue about what generates or prompts these messages to be generated?

What could possibly generate 2 simultaneous incoming text messages...to the second??
You often raise interesting questions.
I wish I had the knowledge to help more.

Do you (we) know what generally causes "no data" texts?

Is this just a case of the "send" button (or whatever) being pressed before composing a message? Would double pressing be rapid enough to appear simultaneous?

Perhaps a new, inexperienced sender, or new type of phone?

Sorry don't do text, don't own a cell phone. Rely mainly on annual carrier pigeon service.

mabey a sattelite signal or restricted number ? sometimes telemarketers come up as restricted i dont know much about signals just throught id suggest .

I took a trivia challenge online once and it asked for my cell number; they sent the results via text to my cell.

So now sometimes I get these stupid trivia question texts and there is no indication of where they come from. (says no data)

Also, I sometimes send a text to my hubby's cell from the computer and when he gets it, it doesn't say where the message originated from.

Of note...

Looks like we may have another problem with the initial scan that is still with us. :bang:

The original ATT records show, for the four events you listed above, the following originating numbers:

There is another similar incoming text on June 16 at 21:04:01 from #11, but our spreadsheet - due to the mis-scan - shows it as an outgoing call from KC to "no data". In fact, a quick scan shows several calls in the spreadsheet to "no data" that are instead incoming texts from one of the above three numbers that we mis-scanned. :banghead:

Traded one mystery for another. :doh:

Any chance these could be messages from her cell phone provider? Maybe that's why they show no data? I've gotten texts from my company before such as "Your bill is past due" or "your payment has posted" etc.

Not likely there would be 4 in one month, just throwing it out there.

Also, sometimes when I get picture messages sent to my phone they show up differently than text messages.

Hmmm...another thing...if my phone has been turned off for a period of time and I got several texts in that timeframe I don't actually "get" them until I power my phone back on again. So if she got several texts when her phone was off they might appear to have come in simultaneously.

Just throwing this out there.......could it be photos? My niece will get a cute shot of her dog or something, and just send the pic, with no text message.

Uhh, nevermind. I thought I read 'no text' and just looked again and saw 'no data'

could they be those mass text/system messages that cell phone companies send out?

I took a trivia challenge online once and it asked for my cell number; they sent the results via text to my cell.

So now sometimes I get these stupid trivia question texts and there is no indication of where they come from. (says no data)

Also, I sometimes send a text to my hubby's cell from the computer and when he gets it, it doesn't say where the message originated from.

There a sites like http://www.ohdontforget.com/reminder that come in as no data. Maybe that is it.

Great feedback everyone! :clap:

Lemme take a closer look @ JWG's observation.

IIRC, this was similar to the coding we attributed to an incoming system message that indicated there was a vmail waiting...or vmail had been cleared, etc.

Soooo...maybe this'll be an easy one to solve...

Could they be from a blocked number...*67? Is that even possible when texting?

OK...the 6/7 instance is definitely a 'vmail/msg cleared' system message.

Ricardo called, Casey let it roll to vmail. The message was ~1min long.
Casey checked her vmail and ~1min later (listening time) the incoming "0" is received.

Checking the others now...

The remaining 3...on the 16th...are very interesting...off to Georgia PI's ping maps one more time so I can type this up...

I don't think you can do it anymore but you used to be able to go to the cingular web site and send a text and input whatever number you wanted (or no number at all) as the sender. Lots of people did this so they weren't charged for the outgoing text. I don't know if this is what happened just wanted to mention the possibility.

I don't think you can do it anymore but you used to be able to go to the cingular web site and send a text and input whatever number you wanted (or no number at all) as the sender. Lots of people did this so they weren't charged for the outgoing text. I don't know if this is what happened just wanted to mention the possibility.

Thanks, MB. I was just a little miffed @ Cingular when they discontinued that little gem of a feature too :D

After looking @ this closer I think we've just about - but not entirely - nailed it down. I'm trying to type up the most interesting part (to me anyway :bang:...maybe not so much to anyone else :rolleyes: )

There are also some similar outbound texts which I've asked JWG to check the orig. AT&T documents on if he'd be so kind [a goading "J-W-G, J-W-G..." chant appropriate here] :dance:

Alright...my ISP has chosen to get flaky on me this evening....and while the result of what started as diving into 'no data' transmissions really belongs on the 6/16 Ping thread, it won't make it there tonight because 2 screen refreshes is 1 too many tonight :banghead:

So I'll hafta come back and deal w/ the rest of the 'outbound' "no data" entries later...

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing....

On the afternoon of 6/16, based on the tower handoffs of the pings and drive time, Casey left the area of G&C's/Lee's ~4:10PM and arrived in the area north of Amscot ~4:33PM. Casey had placed her last call in the 2nd - albeit mini - "flurry" of calls that day to Cindy's cell phone about the time she passed by Amscot. Then, there was a period of 28mins with no activity on Casey's cell phone. We don't know what Casey was doing during this time frame, but, based on her next cell ping it appears she stayed somewhere around this area. Note that the following recognizable landmarks are located within the driving distance of the bookend pings that begin & end this 28min period.:

Tony's apt.
Gentiva
Lexus
Amscot​

Based on both of these bookend pings being from the same tower on the southern end of these landmarks, IMHO, it seems most likely Casey was nearer Amscot, one of the stores in this area, or Gentiva. Note, FWIW, that Casey's m.o. had been to drop Caylee @ Gentiva around Cindy's quiting time per several statements from Gentiva employees and George.

This first period of cell inactivity ended @ 4:53PM when Casey received a Facebook alert which pinged in the area described above.

After this Facebook alert was received there was a 64 minute period of inactivity that ended @ 5:57PM pinging at the location most likely to be near Tony's apartment with a system message that indicated either a voicemail or text message was waiting. Despite receipt this system message, Casey waited another 34 mins before initiating the 3rd "flurry" of calls that day to Cindy @ 6:31PM. Up to this point, all of Casey's calls to Cindy had been attempts to get Cindy to answer the phone based on their duration being <10seconds. However, two calls to Jesse had durations of ~1minute...left vmail messages perhaps.

At 6:33PM Casey appeared to notice the system message indicating a voicemail or text was waiting and dialed her voicemailbox number. Casey had hoped this was a message from Cindy, etc, but, soon discovered it wasn't. Her call to voicemail lasted just under a minute and may have included checking Cindy's vmail receipt of messages Casey had left (an option from the vmail menu) and the text message that resulted from the Facebook alert...all of these can be done from the same call (I simulated myself this evening and took just over 30seconds to complete all three tasks). This series of actions explains the system message(s) @ 6:34PM which arrived within seconds of the completion of the call Casey placed to her voicemailbox - formerly identified as 'no data' entries above..

After this disappointment, there was another 32 minute period of cell inactivity, until the 4th and final not-quite-a-"flurry" of calls began @ 7:06PM which sputtered and ended @ 7:21PM with calls to Amy. All of these activities pinged at a location most likely to be nearest to Tony's apartment.

Then...no cell activity...none... for the 33 mins...before Casey & Tony arrived @ Blockbuster IIRC ~7:54PM. Note that Blockbuster is less than 0.5 miles from Tony's apartment...so, some time must be allowed for Casey to have met up with Tony and for the pair to get to Blockbuster @ ~7:54PM.

IIRC, Cindy stated in her interview w/ the FBI that Casey called the evening of the 16th to explain that she & Caylee would not be home that evening. It appears to me that the 7:06PM call to G&C's home, which lasted just under 1.5 minutes, serves as the best candidate for this call. This would also be in agreement with the time needed for Casey to meet up with Tony and travel to Blockbuster.

Based on the above, it appears to me that, after attempting to repeat a drop of Caylee with Cindy @ Gentiva ~5PM 6/16, an upset Casey engaged in a change of plans in which she turned her phone off (or battery died) @ ~5PM just after the un-noticed receipt of the Facebook Alert @ 4:53PM, and turned her phone back on (or noticed & charger plugged in) @ 5:57PM which resulted in the system message being re-sent to her phone indicating she had a waiting message (only explanation for this pattern I can think of). By 6:34PM Casey realized Cindy was not going to respond and Casey took the actions that ultimately cost Caylee her life. As noted before, medical death may not have occurred immediately, hence, the time of death can't be specified, however, the actions that resulted in Caylee's death appear to have been taken between 6:34PM and 7:06PM :(

I like your work Mr Bond.

Especially since it fits the time-line I am working on.

Where physically precisely is your best estimation for KC and her car in that critical time period.(6:34 - 7:06)

I guess that is when she placed Caylee in the trunk?

I like your work Mr Bond.

Especially since it fits the time-line I am working on.

Where physically precisely is your best estimation for KC and her car in that critical time period.(6:34 - 7:06)

I guess that is when she placed Caylee in the trunk?

Kinda hard to find ;), but, its in there, "All of these activities pinged at a location most likely to be nearest to Tony's apartment." IOW...prolly in the parking lot of Sutton Place Apt.

That was alot of words just to back up my earlier ~7:20PM theory by less than an hour, wasn't it? :bang:

Kinda hard to find ;), but, its in there, "All of these activities pinged at a location most likely to be nearest to Tony's apartment." IOW...prolly in the parking lot of Sutton Place Apt.

That was alot of words just to back up my earlier ~7:20PM theory by less than an hour, wasn't it? :bang:
Thanks I am happy with all that.

Don't you think that excludes 19th as day body was dumped/rebagged? It would have to have been after 7:00pm on 19th and probably well after?

Thanks I am happy with all that.

Don't you think that excludes 19th as day body was dumped/rebagged? It would have to have been after 7:00pm on 19th and probably well after?

Actually, as an example, if we used 6:45PM as t.o.d. and 7:20PM into the trunk that yields 5PM 6/19 for stopping the ADD clock (rebag/disposal).

As I tried to indicate...t.o.d medically could have been sometime later depending on the manner of death :(. Really not changing the bag/dispose from earlier scenarios all that much...just backing things up 30-50mins.

Kinda veering OT here :bang:, but, if I hadn't already pointed out on the 6/19 Ping thread, there is a similar situation to 6/16 where it appears Casey may have powered down her phone:

6/19/08 THU 4:54:11 PM OUTGOING TEXT Casey Anthony Sean "Sean Hickey" Hickey 51 NE-to-S 1 Purlieu Place/ Winter Park/ FL/ 32792
6/19/08 THU 5:45:39 PM INCOMING TEXT Voicemail/Message Waiting Casey Anthony 196 NW-to-NE 12506 Lake Underhill Rd/ Orlando/ FL/ 32825

There is NOTHING to prompt the 5:45PM system message. The only thing I can come up with is Casey powered off her phone sometime after 4:54PM 6/19, then, powered back up @ 5:45PM and promptly received the system message that she had a new message in queue...either one previously unanswered (unlikely since her last text was an outgoing text after all others had been received - still possible) or one received while the phone was powered down (more likely IMHO).

Hope that helps.

Sorry about the OT
But posting one more time to say thanks.
Still room for conjecture, but things a little clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickyBones