Prisoners Babysit Toddler Found on Highway

Texana

Overreaching
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here's the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=6733340

The inmates were more concerned about the toddler's safety than his own sister, sadly.

We live near a minimum security prison. The school buses cut through the prison grounds. One day, my daughter mentioned they'd been passing prisoners working in the field (they are supervised by armed guards on horseback.) She said sometimes the inmates wave at them. I had a horrified reaction. She shrugged and said, "Mom, they have kids, too."

I hate to think what could have happened to that baby had the work crew not been there that day. Angels unaware, indeed!

What a bad sister! She's less reliable than convicts. This story would make a cute movie, though.

I wonder if the sister will face any charges. IMO she should since she apparently just took off on purpose, knowing the child would be alone.

I wonder if the sister will face any charges. IMO she should since she apparently just took off on purpose, knowing the child would be alone.

I was a bit surprised that the parents weren't facing any charges or consequences. An 18 year old doesn't suddenly leave a baby sibling alone out of the blue.

But the child is safe--thanks to the truck driver and the inmates.

;)

snipped from the linked article.

He said the child was reunited with his family after Child Protective Services investigated and found no immediate cause to suspect abuse or neglect.

The boy's father, who works at home, told police he had left the child in the care of an 18-year-old daughter, who then left without notice, Greenwood said. State police were conducting their own investigation and would report their findings to Frederick County prosecutors for possible charges, Lt. Michael J. Brady said.

Wouldn't the fact that a 2 1/2 was walking alone on a busy highway be neglectful?

I'm glad they are still conducting an investigation.

I was a bit surprised that the parents weren't facing any charges or consequences. An 18 year old doesn't suddenly leave a baby sibling alone out of the blue.

But the child is safe--thanks to the truck driver and the inmates.

;)
If the parents thought the sister was responable and had no reason to think others wise then I do NOT think they should face charges.Unfortunally yes some baby sitters even related ones do leave children alone. :( sad sad sad

snipped from the linked article.

Wouldn't the fact that a 2 1/2 was walking alone on a busy highway be neglectful?

I'm glad they are still conducting an investigation.

On the daughters part, not the parents. I am assuming they thought they could trust an 18 year old sibling to watch the baby.

I read it to mean that the Dad worked in the home but the 18 year old was watching the 2 1/2 year old. Then when she left she didn't tell the Dad so no one was watching the baby but technically he wasn't alone. I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

I read it to mean that the Dad worked in the home but the 18 year old was watching the 2 1/2 year old. Then when she left she didn't tell the Dad so no one was watching the baby but technically he wasn't alone. I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

I guess that's probably it.

What a bad sister! She's less reliable than convicts. This story would make a cute movie, though.

She sure sounds like a bad, bad sister, doesn't she? BUT!
The article doesn't actually mention whether the 18 year old knew she was in charge. I'm wondering if Dad may have stuck his head in the door to her bedroom and said, "You're babysitting." while she was sleeping or listening to her IPod and she never even realized he was speaking to her.

The boy was with the inmates for three hours; it's hard to believe she'd deliberately left him alone for such an extended period of time. If she did deliberately leave him for so long, I think she should have been arrested.

I am so GLAD the inmates and the toddler had fun!

Thats a sweet story. Chilling, but sweet.

seems like the father and daughter should be the ones on a prison work crewl. how is it not neglect? what if the boy was hit by one of the trucks?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back