871 users online (116 members and 755 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,675

    MA - Woman beaten for 12 minutes and ignored...

    I cannot believe this! This occured in broad daylight and not one person stopped until after the fact. What is wrong with people??? It appears someone called LE after the fact and described the man who did it. She was found beaten, sexually assaulted, and unconscience.

    www.thebostonchannel.com/cnn-news/19034811

    Un-freakingbelievable.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,675
    I just wanted add in here that there was only one 911 call made. *ONE* after the attack was over. This is a busy road. I am too stunned for words concerning the apparent indifference shown here.....
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,459
    From your link,
    Armanetti said they received only one 911 call from a driver who stopped to help after the man had left.
    That is really pathetic that only one person called to help this poor woman. I hope they catch the s.o.b.!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,078
    Found this comment from the article you linked. I want to know more about this attack.

    This headline is misleading !! IF anyone from Channel 5 has ever driven on that highway, they'd know you need to keep your eyes on the road. It's a two lane highway with alot of stop and go traffic and fast cars when it's the commuting rush hour. This was during the Friday afternoon rush hour. The police have said that the woman was attacked INSIDE her car. No one going by would have been able to see her being attacked if this attacker had pushed her over to the passenger side of the vehicle. IF someone saw the attacker's car and could give a description of the vehicle that would be helpful and ANY information on this incident would help the Middleboro Police. Middleboro is a great town to live in and this has upset this community. Channel 5 needs to change this headline, it's sensational journalism. IF anyone saw anything, call the Middleboro Police.


    InappropriateMar. 28, 2009 9:23pm EDT | from Betty
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    Found this comment from the article you linked. I want to know more about this attack.
    Did you see the video pics they posted? They say her car was bumped from behind and she pulled over. I know this road. It is 2 lane travel, but there are also business' there, which we obviously know via news channel, have video cameras.

    4:30 in the afternoon and has been stated there was heavy traffic. No matter how upset some residents may be (which is understandable), there is absolutely no reason that this was ignored by other passerbyes. What made this one guy stop and call 911 where no others before him did??? I'll have to check and see if there are any updates.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    Found this comment from the article you linked. I want to know more about this attack.

    It makes more sense that people didn't see what was going on instead of them just driving on by and turning a blind eye. I know if I have to drive the freeway through Seattle during rush time I don't pay any attention to cars pulled over on the side of the road. I'm to busy watching the cars surrounding me and what is going on with the traffic. It's constantly stop and go...speed up and then slow down and go inch by inch...I hate it.

    How terrible for this woman who had help so close yet so far away. I hope someone saw the monster's car and will phone in a description so this guy can be taken off the streets. He's really bold to do this on a highway full of traffic not knowing whether someone would stop or not.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,675
    I read the responses to the article that WCVB put out from the Middleboro residents. Seriously, they are more upset with the story than the fact this woman was assaulted.

    Route 28 is not a major highway like Route 95 or Route 495 in this neck of the woods. It is a route you can drive to head down to the Cape and has residential/business along the way. It is a two lane road and not one that high speed is an option. Well, unless you choose to if you're a goofball. State Police barricks are not too far away.

    I read that she pulled out of a gas station. I wonder if this is where this animal decided she was his victim?
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Did you see the video pics they posted? They say her car was bumped from behind and she pulled over. I know this road. It is 2 lane travel, but there are also business' there, which we obviously know via news channel, have video cameras.

    4:30 in the afternoon and has been stated there was heavy traffic. No matter how upset some residents may be (which is understandable), there is absolutely no reason that this was ignored by other passerbyes. What made this one guy stop and call 911 where no others before him did??? I'll have to check and see if there are any updates.
    One of the most interesting videos we watched when I was a student was about this issue. It is an absolute fact that the more people you around when an emergency strikes the LESS likely you are to get help, and if you do get help it will be after a delayed reaction.

    They set up scenarios where people were under the impression they were the only person knew something was happening and then did the exact same scenario with other people present. The reaction time, if there was a reaction, was so delayed. One was a heart attack or a seizure set up. The one that was alone immediately sought help, the group scenario took forever for someone to do anything. The other one involved smoke being piped under the door. The person alone immediately reacted, the room full of people took forever to react and that wasn't even to help someone else.

    It is somewhere between or a combo of someone else will do it, or the fear of over reacting/making a spectacle of yourself so you wait to see if everyone else thinks it requires action. It was fascinating and a great lesson for me at a young age. To never assume someone else is calling or intervening.

    The other thing, and you can see this in all the bystander videos, if one person steps into help several others will within seconds. So it isn't that they don't want to help, it is entirely tied to being the first one to step out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,675
    Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    One of the most interesting videos we watched when I was a student was about this issue. It is an absolute fact that the more people you around when an emergency strikes the LESS likely you are to get help, and if you do get help it will be after a delayed reaction.

    They set up scenarios where people were under the impression they were the only person knew something was happening and then did the exact same scenario with other people present. The reaction time, if there was a reaction, was so delayed. One was a heart attack or a seizure set up. The one that was alone immediately sought help, the group scenario took forever for someone to do anything. The other one involved smoke being piped under the door. The person alone immediately reacted, the room full of people took forever to react and that wasn't even to help someone else.

    It is somewhere between or a combo of someone else will do it, or the fear of over reacting/making a spectacle of yourself so you wait to see if everyone else thinks it requires action. It was fascinating and a great lesson for me at a young age. To never assume someone else is calling or intervening.

    The other thing, and you can see this in all the bystander videos, if one person steps into help several others will within seconds. So it isn't that they don't want to help, it is entirely tied to being the first one to step out.
    This is truth and I remember reading about this type of study done. I guess it amazes me and I cannot understand it. I admit I am an observant person. I would never think twice, even in error, if I was concerned about a person or situation I came across. Honestly, I have called 911 or my own town LE in the past. Never made me amazing on any level. But, I would rather be involved than not when it comes to the safety of other persons.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    It makes more sense that people didn't see what was going on instead of them just driving on by and turning a blind eye. I know if I have to drive the freeway through Seattle during rush time I don't pay any attention to cars pulled over on the side of the road. I'm to busy watching the cars surrounding me and what is going on with the traffic. It's constantly stop and go...speed up and then slow down and go inch by inch...I hate it.

    How terrible for this woman who had help so close yet so far away. I hope someone saw the monster's car and will phone in a description so this guy can be taken off the streets. He's really bold to do this on a highway full of traffic not knowing whether someone would stop or not.

    I want to hope the best, also. I just went back and looked at the photos that OL mentioned, I didn't notice them before. I pray they have more video that shows this monsters car. I agree, it looks like she was targeted.

    I will definitely be looking for updates on this story.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,607
    The archetypal case of citizens not intervening is the Kitty Genovese murder, in New York City, in 1964, when at least 38 people allegedly heard her screams and no one summoned authorities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    Posts
    20,555
    Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    One of the most interesting videos we watched when I was a student was about this issue. It is an absolute fact that the more people you around when an emergency strikes the LESS likely you are to get help, and if you do get help it will be after a delayed reaction.

    They set up scenarios where people were under the impression they were the only person knew something was happening and then did the exact same scenario with other people present. The reaction time, if there was a reaction, was so delayed. One was a heart attack or a seizure set up. The one that was alone immediately sought help, the group scenario took forever for someone to do anything. The other one involved smoke being piped under the door. The person alone immediately reacted, the room full of people took forever to react and that wasn't even to help someone else.

    It is somewhere between or a combo of someone else will do it, or the fear of over reacting/making a spectacle of yourself so you wait to see if everyone else thinks it requires action. It was fascinating and a great lesson for me at a young age. To never assume someone else is calling or intervening.

    The other thing, and you can see this in all the bystander videos, if one person steps into help several others will within seconds. So it isn't that they don't want to help, it is entirely tied to being the first one to step out.
    I suppose this is why we have heroes and why their deeds standout over others who do nothing.

    Personally I think a lot of it people just don't want to get involved, even if they see something horrific happening right in front of their eyes. It reminds me of the very old case long ago where a woman was repeatedly raped and I believe murdered on a street in NYC, iirc. People walked around her as she screamed and cried out for someone to help her. They did nothing........they just walked on as if she wasn't even there.

    Some have lost their capability to care about their fellowman, imo. Some do not help others in need because they simply do not care.

    I could never live with myself if I saw someone in distress and in dire need of help and I simply turned a blind eye or did nothing. I know me and I know I wouldn't stand there waiting for someone else to react first. I have come to the aide of strangers before and I will be there again if the occasion calls for immediate action.

    imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    This brought to mind the Kitty Genovese story. I've always been fascinated by the bystanders that heard her screaming and never went to her aid or never called police.

    I was trying to find an article that would talk about Kitty G. for those that were unfamiliar with her story and stumbled across this article...simular and it talks about "bystander apathy".

    http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...-to-Death.html
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,593
    Kind of o/t, but maybe it will restore some faith in humanity! I have a long commute to work and take the highway. During the winter I watched a van go into the median and start flipping. Due to the lane I was in, and the amount of ice on the roads, I was unable to stop. However, I did see about 4 other cars stop and people jumping out of their cars to check on the van driver. I call 911 to report the accident and, after reporting it, being put on hold, and reporting it again, was told that they had a number of people calling the accident in and they were sending emergency vehicles. The 911 operator was very nice and I was glad she told me that there were a number of calls. Made me feel a bit better about people caring!



Similar Threads

  1. SD - Woman beaten for looking up how to leave abusive relationship
    By Truthful Lies in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
  2. UT - Woman Brutaly Raped/Beaten~ Fired From Job
    By Vegas Bride in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
  3. GA - Woman Beaten, Possibly Racially Motivated
    By oh_gal in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
  4. NJ - Woman left beaten and naked on street
    By Grace1984 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
  5. MA - Woman beaten and raped by ex-boyfriend, 2005
    By mysteriew in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 07:17 AM