Moon Phase and Day of the Week

SharetheLight

Share the Light, Share the Love
Reaction score
The Lyon sisters disappeared on a Tuesday (3/25/75)
A full moon occurred on 3/27/75. So their disappearance happened two days before the full moon.

In 1975 there were no solar or lunar eclipses in March.
In both May and November of 1975 there was a partial solar eclipse and a total lunar eclipse.

Not sure if any of this plays into Sheila and Katherine's disappearance.

Maybe we can use this thread to list any other murders, abductions that took place on a Tuesday or two days prior to a full moon.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/69dfco.html

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 27, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 105 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue/green/hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Mole above right eyebrow
Clothing: White jogging shorts; a faded blue t-shirt; and running shoes.
AKA: Beth

Moon Phase is off: 8-16-83 the moon was one day past the first quarter

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/91dfma.html

Jennifer Lynn Fay
Missing since November 14, 1989 from Brockton, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 25, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Fay has a scar over her eyebrow.

Moon phase is off: 11/14/89 is one day past the full moon. Full moon was on 11/13/89.

I don't know how that smiley got in my title and I can't get rid of it-grrrrr

Can you post a link to where we can look at moon phases? I have several that I'd like to look into.

Laci Peterson: disappeared/reported missing Tuesday, December 24, 2002.

*correcting part of my post: the full moon was on the 19th..the Thursday before the disappearance...and of course many people believe she was actually murdered late on Monday, the 23rd.

Anna Waters 5 yr.old when she went missing from her yard.

DOB: Sep 25, 1967
Missing: Jan 16, 1973
Age Now: 41
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Brown
Height: 3'8" (112 cm)
Weight: 40 lbs (18 kg)
Missing From:
HALF MOON BAY
CA
United States

Cindy Lee Mellin
Missing since January 20, 1970 from Ventura, Ventura County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/869dfca.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 3, 1950
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6" (168 cm.); 105 lbs. (48 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes. Mellin wears contact lenses.
Clothing/Jewelry: She was last seen wearing a navy blue dress with red buttons, a brown corduroy coat and blue shoes with gold buckles. She was also wearing a gold ring with a single pearl.
Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mellin was employed by the Broadway Department Store in the Buenaventura Shopping Center. She left work shortly after closing on the night of January 20, 1970. She was last seen standing next to her car in the shopping center parking lot while an unidentified male changed her tire. When she failed to return home that night, her father went to the shopping center looking for her and found her car still up on a jack with the flat tire still attached.

The disappearance of Cindy Lee Mellin is a case with possible ties to the infamous Zodiac killer. But Ventura cold case detectives say the evidence points to another killer.

Missing on a Tuesday 2 days before a full moon.

One of the resident astrologers suggested when trying to come up with a common denominator for crimes, it is not so much the phase of the moon that may affect a perp, but how the planets, or which planets are rising and falling in relation to other things. She said the moon is the fastest moving target in our charts so it is telling, but the phase of the moon probably has very little to do with it. (I hope I haven't screwed up that explanation too horribly.)
So we can continue to look at moon phases, but maybe we should just concentrate on Tuesdays here???

Any other opinions about moon phases??

One of the resident astrologers suggested when trying to come up with a common denominator for crimes, it is not so much the phase of the moon that may affect a perp, but how the planets, or which planets are rising and falling in relation to other things. She said the moon is the fastest moving target in our charts so it is telling, but the phase of the moon probably has very little to do with it. (I hope I haven't screwed up that explanation too horribly.)
So we can continue to look at moon phases, but maybe we should just concentrate on Tuesdays here???

That makes sense to me.Tuesdays it is.

Nice work on finding the moon phases posted. I tend to agree somewhat with your astrologer friend. Moon phase COULD be a stressor or trigger, but possibly only a minor factor in crime.

It would probably be different for each individual person. That is, affecting some, but not others. Other factors such as weather, day of week, certain times of year etc probably play a bigger part with more people.

The Unibomber was definitely affected by the moon phase as well as the seasons of fall and spring - specifically the planting and harvest times. When he deviated (which he did) from his pattern, he tended to screw up and leave clues and evidence, such as his Summer time bombing in Colorado where the one and only sighting of him took place. (Remember the composite drawing of the guy in the shades and hooded sweatshirt?)

Someone who was truly "into" astrology would tend to allow himself be affected more by all the various astrological movements and horoscopes. But it could affect others significantly, even though they have no interest in or understanding of such factors.

Nice work on finding the moon phases posted. I tend to agree somewhat with your astrologer friend. Moon phase COULD be a stressor or trigger, but possibly only a minor factor in crime.

It would probably be different for each individual person. That is, affecting some, but not others. Other factors such as weather, day of week, certain times of year etc probably play a bigger part with more people.

The Unibomber was definitely affected by the moon phase as well as the seasons of fall and spring - specifically the planting and harvest times. When he deviated (which he did) from his pattern, he tended to screw up and leave clues and evidence, such as his Summer time bombing in Colorado where the one and only sighting of him took place. (Remember the composite drawing of the guy in the shades and hooded sweatshirt?)

Someone who was truly "into" astrology would tend to allow himself be affected more by all the various astrological movements and horoscopes. But it could affect others significantly, even though they have no interest in or understanding of such factors.

I thought that you were encouraging us to look into moon phases, because on the time of year thread you said
quote from Richard,snipped by me-
It would seem far more likely that the more immediate variables such as warm weather, time of day, and situation of school being out and a lot of kids at the mall played a direct part in this specific crime. Also, such factors as moon phase, day of the week, etc could affect the abductor in some way. When all factors have been analyzed, possible patterns might be seen when comparing this crime with others (solved and unsolved).

Did I misunderstand you?

I thought that you were encouraging us to look into moon phases, because on the time of year thread you said
quote from Richard,snipped by me-
It would seem far more likely that the more immediate variables such as warm weather, time of day, and situation of school being out and a lot of kids at the mall played a direct part in this specific crime. Also, such factors as moon phase, day of the week, etc could affect the abductor in some way. When all factors have been analyzed, possible patterns might be seen when comparing this crime with others (solved and unsolved).

Did I misunderstand you?

I did suggest checking into various factors, including moon phase, as possible clues. What I was trying to explain is that there is not a specific set of rules that would be useful in all situations and for all suspects. Each person is different and may be affected differently by each different factor.

What you have to look for is Patterns that include moon phase or other factors such as day of the week, weather, type of victim, etc. to compare cases and try to determine who or what type of person was the perpetrator.

I did suggest checking into various factors, including moon phase, as possible clues. What I was trying to explain is that there is not a specific set of rules that would be useful in all situations and for all suspects. Each person is different and may be affected differently by each different factor.

What you have to look for is Patterns that include moon phase or other factors such as day of the week, weather, type of victim, etc. to compare cases and try to determine who or what type of person was the perpetrator.

We are all creatures of habit, so I'd think whoever committed this crime also committed others. If they didn't, then looking at patterns is useless.
Only if this person was a serial molester/killer/abductor will looking at patterns be useful. If this crime was committed as some type of retribution, then it's possible the perp didn't commit anymore crimes.

Operating under the theory that this person did commit other crimes we have the benefit of time to compare this crime to other like crimes. If we are creatures of habit, then a pattern should emerge somewhere. Unless of course the habit is randomness :)
I think it's good to look at all commonalities, no matter how insignificant, in other crimes because you don't know where the common denominator will be. With virtually nothing to go on, we must look at any and all common denominators.

Add to that the fact that humans are also imperfect, and there will be crimes that were committed that don't follow a pattern, that this perp most likely committed also. Here's hoping we find the common thread to lead us to whoever committed this atrocity.

As I have been thinking about the common denominator for crimes this person may have commited before and after the lyon girls.
Maybe the common denominator is something specific to our perp. For example, the perp hates all of his uncles, so he chooses to abduct/kill on the dates of birth of his uncles. Uncle #1 born 5/25/33, Uncle #2 born 10/4/40, Unlce #3 born 1/5/38 etc. So the perp will abduct/kill on 5/25, 10/4, 1/5 etc.
Or maybe the perp is a fan of Elvis and his kill dates are the dates Elvis's singles went #1 on the charts.
These are lame examples, I know, but I am just thinking that the common denominator might be so specific to the perp that it is near impossible to determine what that denominator may be.
Or maybe the common denominator is opportunity specific to our perp. Say the perp is on a sports team that travels, he abducts when his team is away in various cities. Or our perp is an actor or singer, he abducts when his band has gigs in various cities. Or our perp is a business man, he abducts when he is called out of town on business.
If we had a list of people of interest this type of thing would be easier to determine, but with no real list of people of interest, this is an impossible task. If indeed, the perp who took the lyon sisters has some sort of pattern that is very specific to his life/his opportunities.
Just kind of thinking out loud here in frustration.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back