Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground Searches & communication from LE: UPDATES

texasmommy39 is offline Truly intelligent people have far more questions than they ever have answers.
    7 hrs
    1 1/2 hrs can be allowed for drive time.
    4 1/2 hrs is in question.

The 1 1/2 hrs drive time would of been feasiable if she had left within 30 min of finding out.
    I would of left immediatly, but, that is me.
    Last edited by texasmommy39; 06-26-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added comment

texasmommy39 is offline Truly intelligent people have far more questions than they ever have answers.
    Will check back in later ,must run LOL and melt in this texas heat and get some work done.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texasmommy39 For This Useful Post:

elle1919 is offline Blowing out another's candle will not make yours shine brighter!!
    deep in the countryside of northern Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by texasmommy39 View Post
    7 hrs

The 1 1/2 hrs drive time would of been feasiable if she had left within 30 min of finding out.
    as would I, however I believe there were reports that Crystal called her father first to see if it was a prank. I can understand to a small degree that there would be unbelief that my child was missing....but I would get in the car and ask questions later. That's just me....only Crystal would know her own reaction's appropriateness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby77 View Post
    Yes, but I don't think the family statements are the only reason, according the 2nd article linked, they also received a tip....
    Not that I actually believe she is there, just repeating what was reported by the Putnam County officials..

Putnam County officials said a tip prompted several law enforcement agencies to mount a search of the property where Crystal Sheffield lives with her grandmother.

Link here
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/19869545/detail.html
    I can't find that quote in the link above, am I blind or did it get updated?

I wouldn't make too much out of it. I suppose "tip" might be just another way of saying that one or more people in and outside of the family told them there were animal burial sites on the property.

As for the animals getting ill and dying, it might be just a coincidence, or maybe if the persons who normally take care of them were camping at the Haleigh vigils, whoever they got to cover for the animals might not have had as good an eye to their health and didn't call the vet as soon as they should have? Or maybe some of the graves are old.

I didn't know Crystal and Marie have horses and other farm animals. Or do they belong to some other relative?

elle1919 is offline Blowing out another's candle will not make yours shine brighter!!
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...140562&catid=3

more info at this link, it looks like the initial search area might be complete, officials now moving on to another relatives property.

ETA....link now doesn't work.....weird
    Last edited by Tom'sGirl; 06-26-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fix link

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elle1919 For This Useful Post:

Marie has a hay farm.... I read it in a small article about the Haleigh Bug Center moved to Baker County when Crystal got sick and couldn't make the drive.

Do you then think she was late arriving because she buried the body with horses first?

Putnam County officials spend Friday searching the property where Crystal Sheffield lives with her mother. Channel 4 confirmed that investigators are digging on the property, cadaver dogs are on site and a pond is being searched by diver.

Investigators said they learned in interviews with the Sheffield and Griffis families that some horses were buried on their 30-acre property a couple of months ago. Investigators said at midday they had already uncovered one dead horse. They were also going to search nearby property and a pond belonging to another family member.

ETA: Elle here's a working firstcoastnews link:

Search teams have finished a thorough search of Haleigh Cummings' grandmother's property, and are now searching another relative's property nearby.

The first search, on 30 acres belonging to Marie Griffis, turned up animal remains, as expected, but nothing else.
    After completing the search on Griffis' land, the searchers moved over to another relative's property, a 25-acre tract.
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...140562&catid=3

Any idea who the other relative is ?

Would a cadaver dog alert to a dead horse?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Do you then think she was late arriving because she buried the body with horses first?

Any idea who the "another family member" is ? Would a cadaver dog alert to a dead horse?
    I'm interested in who the other family member is too.
    ALL EVIL NEEDS TO SUCCEED IS FOR GOOD PEOPLE TO DO NOTHING!!!!

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/m...2&provider=top

New article, this link should work, I apologize for the earlier post.....I am still learning!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to elle1919 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elle1919 View Post
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...140562&catid=3

more info at this link, it looks like the initial search area might be complete, officials now moving on to another relatives property.

ETA....link now doesn't work.....weird
    Link worked for me when I clicked on most popular stories
    Last edited by Tom'sGirl; 06-26-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: link fix in quote

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bogeygal For This Useful Post:

Donjeta I might be a southern girl but I find myself wondering what might be off kilter for an animal to be buried on the property. Does anyone reading here have a farm or...have insight as to what happens with large farm animals when they die? Do you bury them on the farm or does someone come and take them away? Don't laugh I am having a airhead moment.

In Florida, it depends on what county you live in whether or not its illegal to bury horses (or other large livestock). It has to do with water tables, etc. We had to send a horse for cremation because in Sumter Co. it is illegal to bury.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kwmred For This Useful Post:

New article, this link should work, I apologize for the earlier post.....I am still learning!
    I'm glad they are doing this.But I strongly think if they can do this and check thier farm then they need to recheck around RC's trailer,pond ect... and further each way than they checked before and places that were not checked.Just curious where was the gun found?under who's house?deck?they should check around there too.
    ALL EVIL NEEDS TO SUCCEED IS FOR GOOD PEOPLE TO DO NOTHING!!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Suzanne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kwmred View Post
    In Florida, it depends on what county you live in whether or not its illegal to bury horses (or other large livestock). It has to do with water tables, etc. We had to send a horse for cremation because in Sumter Co. it is illegal to bury.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9045153AA6qBC7

interesting tidbits on burying farm animals. It is illegal in parts of Florida to leave the carcass rotting on the land.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to elle1919 For This Useful Post:

"Snip"

GLEN ST. MARY, FL --

The first search, on 30 acres belonging to Marie Griffis, turned up animal remains, as expected, but nothing else. Griffis' property was checked already, but it was during the first week of the investigation, and it wasn't a very thorough search at that time, according to investigators.
    FOX 35 has a news crew headed to Satsuma and will have LIVE reports on FOX 35 News. http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...gh_farm_search
    "IMO" LE had to take a second look due to someone claiming that Haleigh may be there. You take a guess who... I am glad to hear that LE is being thorough and feel we may have some news coming in the next few weeks and they just want to make sure no stone stays unturned before they announce what is next in the Haleigh Case. But that is just my opinion..

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MADJGNLAW For This Useful Post:

My quess it was a neighbor or someone who knows the Griffis. IMO I find it very hard to believe that Ronald or the Cummings would know about the animals being barried. But personally I think they should check everything because in this day and age you just never know better safe then sorry.
    "Please note - this is a message board, not a blog. Thank you"... Sincerely, Tricia Griffith and the Websleuths Family

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cuppy199 For This Useful Post:

If you go to the link and read the article you will get plenty of info....
    Being the goof that I am, I actually thought it was a county in Fl.

Thanks....
    God is Great Beer is Good And People are Crazy

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelabs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by amysmom View Post
    I've always been more suspicious of bio-mom then RC so none of this is a suprise to me!
    I have always been suspicious of Chad G.
    Maybe now I'll know if I was way wrong.... or right all along...
    JMO, IMOO, JMHO

"Caylee's either coming home, or she's already gone home." (Richard Grund)

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkay882 For This Useful Post:

Donjeta I might be a southern girl but I find myself wondering what might be off kilter for an animal to be buried on the property. Does anyone reading here have a farm or...have insight as to what happens with large farm animals when they die? Do you bury them on the farm or does someone come and take them away? Don't laugh I am having a airhead moment.
    Hubby used to drag the corpse off to a far corner of the farm....out of the way and far enough the smell wouldn't bother us.

He would never have gone through the trouble to did a hole large and deep enough to bury one of the horses or cows that died.

Makes no sense IMO.
    JMO, IMOO, JMHO

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkay882 For This Useful Post:

There is more to this "tip" than they are saying, imo. They would not converge in force on the property and bring in divers without a substantial lead. If it were only the horses or animal carcasses they were interested in...there would be a handful of people on scene and not bulldozers, divers, and 40 officers! No way would they put this kind of manpower out there without having some very serious information on Haleigh.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:

i think LE is realizing they overlooked a lot of things in the beginning. They are going back over what they have already looked at b/c of all the drama that sidetracked them to begin with. I also think that taking the CA case into thought. (remember when a friend of CA said that she and CA use to burry their pets that have passed in the very same area that CMA was found, or atleast that is the first thing i thought, when i saw the article about the searched on Griffis's property)

I think it is great that LE is finally speaking about what they are doing. I am just wondering if this is "one" of the 4000 plus leads that wasn't completly followed up on. IMHO
    If it doesn't make sense, it is a LIE ........Judge Judy

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lil momma For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by texasmommy39 View Post
    7 hrs

I've always wondered where Chad G. was when the call came in.
    Asleep beside Crystal?
    Working?
    Outside smoking?

Why, when Ron called her at 3:45 or so, did Crystal not call her mother until 5 o'clock to tell her Haleigh was missing from her bed?
    They live within a stones throw from each other... right?

Did Crystal have to wait for Chad G. to get home before she could leave?

Questions I've had since day1..
    JMO, IMOO, JMHO

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mkay882 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    There is more to this "tip" than they are saying, imo. They would not converge in force on the property and bring in divers without a substantial lead. If it were only the horses or animal carcasses they were interested in...there would be a handful of people on scene and not bulldozers, divers, and 40 officers! No way would they put this kind of manpower out there without having some very serious information on Haleigh.

SS....could you tell me if cadaver dogs would hit on animal carcasses? I know you have followed many many cases and I just wondered if you ever heard if the dogs would hit or if they could tell the difference in the decomposition? I know any info you provide will be your opinion....

The investigation into Haleigh Cummings' disappearance moved to Mud Lake Road this morning, June 26, after investigators found out animal remains were buried at her maternal grandmother's property east of CR 229.

Authorities learned about the remains in an interview with local family members and began a search for them with the help of cadaver dogs and private search and rescue teams.

Putnam County Sheriff's Office Detective Dominic Piscitello said 40 officers from his department, the Jacksonville and Baker County sheriff's offices were at the scene as well.

http://www.bakercountypress.com/
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cuppy199 View Post
    My quess it was a neighbor or someone who knows the Griffis. IMO I find it very hard to believe that Ronald or the Cummings would know about the animals being barried. But personally I think they should check everything because in this day and age you just never know better safe then sorry.
    Some article said that the family told them about buried animals. My impression was that it was someone from Crystal's side of family telling them about the animals. But I suppose the Cummings might easily have known too because Jr. goes to visit there and he might have been told or even seen the animals being buried.

From http://bakercountypress.com/index.ph...2322&Itemid=79

Authorities learned about the remains in an interview with local family members and began a search for them with the help of cadaver dogs and private search and rescue teams.
    "The property owners said there were buried animals on the property so we need to turn over every stone to verify that's what it is," he said. "There's no reason to believe it's not an animal."

SS....could you tell me if cadaver dogs would hit on animal carcasses? I know you have followed many many cases and I just wondered if you ever heard if the dogs would hit or if they could tell the difference in the decomposition? I know any info you provide will be your opinion....
    Cadaver dogs, depending on their degree of training, will not alert to animal decomposition. They can tell the difference. I pray the animals they are using for this search are specifically trained on human decomp.
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast