Streaking lights, explosions reported all along coast

lizzybeth

Reaction score
Were they meteors? A comet? UFOs?
People from Maryland to Hampton Roads heard loud explosions and saw brilliant, streaking lights in the sky Sunday night.
There was no immediate explanation, the National Weather Service office in Wakefield said. The Virginia Beach 911 center had numerous calls waiting just before 10 p.m., a supervisor said.
The Weather Service said reports were made from Dorchester County, Md., to the Virginia/North Carolina border. People said they saw a streak in the sky and heard an explosion.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/streaking-lights-explosions-reported-all-along-coast

I heard the explosion last night and thought it was just thunder. Others that were outside saw something that didn't look like lightning.
Most are saying it was a meteor, but there are some that say they saw a military plane following it. It probably was a meteor.

Did anyone else hear or see anything?

That is so cool lizzybeth. Keep us posted if they identify what it was.

I moved out here to TX almost 9 years ago. Talk about "big sky"! The first time I saw a meteor out here I couldn't believe it was one, didnt' look like any shooting star that I have ever seen.

They can appear to be so close, and so bright that you're mind can't wrap around the fact that it's a shooting star. I've had lot's of luck and seen quite a few in the past years, but only one time did I hear one and see it at the same time.

We live a bit aways from town on post and it can get really dark out here. That helps.

I've never seen a shooting star or meteor. Do they make a sonic boom sound?

I'm starting to get a little concerned because my power went out last night. The boom was heard in my area around 9:36 p.m. I woke up around 3:00 a.m. and my power was out. It stayed out for about an hour. It may (and probably) had nothing to do with it. It was quite windy yesterday so it probably had more to do with that.

The Navy would never let us know if it was something that they were doing under cover.

I usually just read but wanted to chime in on this one, I live in Norfolk and we heard a large boom and then the whole house shook. I thought maybe a plane crashed at the airport, so I went outside to look. I saw the sky light up like it was daytime, then a bunch of streaking light moving through the sky. But it was after I heard the boom. Don't know what It was but everyone in my neighborhood felt and saw the same thing.

I've only heard it one time in association with a meteor or what I call a shooting star lizzybeth. And yes, it sounded like a sonic boom. I felt it more than I heard it.

From everything I've read so far, it sounds like very large meteors that exploded in the lower atmosphere.

There was a "near miss" comet recently -- as I remember within the last month a comet or astroid that came within 40,000 miles of us & scientists only found out about it about 3 days before the near miss. That is apparently really close in space proximities.

Maybe this is all part of the tail passing if the near miss was a comet. (There have been other similar reports on the east coast & west coast in the last month, too.)

Link on the "near miss"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,503164,00.html

It was an asteroid. So, rather than a tail still coming by, maybe other debris following the same path.

And from comments within the original link about other similar experiences this month:
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009903100356
mystery boom and light in Rockland County, New York.
March 10, 2009.
same thing that happened tonight.
http://www.wjbf.com/jbf/news/national/article/mystery_boom_also_heard_in_north_carolina/12015/
same thing once again.
Henderson County, North Carolina.
March 20, 2009.
And last night, March 29...almost the 30th...
every 10 days?

Were they meteors? A comet? UFOs?
People from Maryland to Hampton Roads heard loud explosions and saw brilliant, streaking lights in the sky Sunday night.
There was no immediate explanation, the National Weather Service office in Wakefield said. The Virginia Beach 911 center had numerous calls waiting just before 10 p.m., a supervisor said.
The Weather Service said reports were made from Dorchester County, Md., to the Virginia/North Carolina border. People said they saw a streak in the sky and heard an explosion.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/streaking-lights-explosions-reported-all-along-coast

I heard the explosion last night and thought it was just thunder. Others that were outside saw something that didn't look like lightning.
Most are saying it was a meteor, but there are some that say they saw a military plane following it. It probably was a meteor.

Did anyone else hear or see anything?

Thanks for the post. We went out to eat last night around 9:30 and we saw a couple bright flashes with no thunder that followed. Later inside the restaraunt we heard a couple loud booms. I didn't think anything about it until I read this.
With the near miss with the asteroid earlier this month it could have been tail or debris from that meteor entering our atmosphere. Although I must admit a part of me wants it to be something really cool like an alien spaceship that crashed.......:crazy:

I've been under a lot of stress so I'm sure my imagination is messing with me. Friday I was listening to Neal Boortz and he had the author (sorry, can't remember his name) on that has a book called "One Second After". It's about a nueclearmagnetic terrorist attack that knocks out all the electrical systems.

With the boom, wind, and then the electricity going out...

Meteor...bolide... space junk... the jury is still out.

And I missed it... and I live in Maryland and was up at that time. In pain, but up... that would have been a score for my observation diary. Oh well, as much space junk as there is in orbit around our lovely planet, I think we will be seeing more and more of this stuff happening... :(

The article I just read was an explanation for the lights over VA. Was it several pieces of 'space junk' entering? If it were only one piece that wouldn't really explain why do many people saw it over a span of time. Unless it broke into several pieces upon entering and some pieces took longer than others to fall.

I've been under a lot of stress so I'm sure my imagination is messing with me. Friday I was listening to Neal Boortz and he had the author (sorry, can't remember his name) on that has a book called "One Second After". It's about a nueclearmagnetic terrorist attack that knocks out all the electrical systems.

I heard that, too. Pretty grim, eh? I bet it did give you pause to have that happen right after hearing that.

A week or so ago we had a boom here in GA around 3 am. I was up writing a paper and suddenly a loud boom rattled the house. Lots of folks heard it over a pretty wide area and they (whomever "they" are) said it was a meteor. I live near an army base so sonic booms are not that unusual, but they said it wasn't them this time.

Space junk huh? Wow! About two mnths ago there was a large boom in the middle of the night that shook the house...several neighbors heard it too and we thought it was thunder, but there was no rain, no lightning, and it did not boom again after that one time. Maybe that was space junk too!

Did yall know that the shuttle re-entering from a mission also sets off sonic booms? If you are along their return flight path and they hit that point, it will scare the living tar out of you. One of the shuttle's last missions to the now dead and gone MIR had the shuttle run its landing flight path down the the eastern seaboard. As it got over SC it set off twin sonic booms that rattled windows and knocked loosely hung pictures off of the wall (the nose of the shuttle creates one boom, and then the tail). A lot of people thought it was an earthquake or meteor blowing up in the air... a few thought it was the end of the world. LoL

Welp... according to www.spaceweather.com things are changing: what was thought to be Russian space junk that caused the lights over VA and MD doesn't line up with the actual time and placement that the Russian space junk was documented falling back to earth... the spent Russian rocket booster is listed as: "According to data published by US Strategic Command, the reentry occurred near Taiwan (24° N, 125° E) at 11:57 p.m. EDT". So, the Russian space junk fell 2 hours later and on a whole other continent.
Now it is back to thinking that the VA/MD lights seen were possibly that of a meteoric bolide... the jury is still out, though...

Oh weird... My dad and I had lunch together the other day, and he was telling me about this. I said "Oh yeah... EMP's..."

Oh weird... My dad and I had lunch together the other day, and he was telling me about this. I said "Oh yeah... EMP's..."
Unfortunately, this was my first thought, too.

E.M.P. stands for Electro-Magnetic Pulse. It can be used as a terrorist weapon of mass destruction... It was actually discovered as an after-effect of the bombs that were dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I read a (non-fiction) book called 'Jerusalem Countdown' a couple of years ago that actually explores and predicts this happening to the United States in the very near future.

The scenario goes something like this: A country such as China or Russia, (these are the countries the book names) sends a fake satellite over our mid-western states, somewhere over Kansas, let's say. They shoot it down, and this creates a sort-of electro-magnetic 'blanket' effect in our lower atmosphere.

It would really only take one, they speculate, to devastate America and bring us to our knees.

Now, consider if this was done over several spots in the U.S.A.

I read recently that some speculate a computer virus could be programmed to trigger/set off the E.M.P.'s reactor/reaction, (or however you say it).

An Electro-Magnetic Pulse, would in effect knock America and much of Canada back into the 18th century. With millions upon millions of people unprepared to do so.

There would be zero electricity in the atmosphere, not even enough to start a car. (Prior to reading this book, and then anything else I could find on this subject, I hadn't even been aware electricity in the air was needed to start a car)!

So, there would be NO transportaion what-so-ever. No cars, trucks, planes, buses, trains.
No refrigeration to keep our food edible.
City water systems would fail to function.
No communication at all, even for the government and military.
No telephones, (land or cell).
No television. No radio.
No Internet.
No banks could function.
No grocery stores could function.
No communication between local, state and federal government.
It goes on and on.

It is said the effects of an E.M.P. could last from 20 years to 100 years.

It would be as if America and Canada were bound and tied, laying helpless on a floor. Just imagine what 'they' could do to 'us' then.

The implications of this kind of attack are difficult to fully fathom.

There are actually many books and news articles regarding the potential terrorist threat of E.M.P. 's.

Scary stuff. And, according to what I've been reading over the past two years... very, very possible.

Remember, just 10 years ago, we didn't realize what happened on 9/11 was possible.

Thank you for this info...

I Googled "One Second After" and "book"...

WOW! The reviews on Amazon.com alone find this new release to be highly acclaimed.

This book is now be at the top of my 'MUST READ' list.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back