Toxic Air and America's Schools

capoly

Reaction score
Schools that ranked worst

A USA TODAY analysis of EPA data indicated that the air outside these schools had the highest levels of dangerous toxic chemicals, most of which have never been tested for their effects on children.

http://content.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/smokestack/index

ETA Have always thought of Maine as a 'fresh' air State so checked Maine's status.....

First result for Maine:

Easton Elementary School National Rank 1st percentile The air is worse at 9 schools across the nation

Bangor Rd Po Box 126 Easton, ME

Maybe I'm interpreting the results wrong....:confused:

hmm

i did a search for the nearest school (to me). it ranked 86th percentile. then looked at the 'culprit'... a machine shop ~20 miles from that school. seems a bit alarmist?

interesting though.

Well, my sons school is right about in the middle, with the biggest contributor being the DuPont factory about 30 miles away.
National Rank53rdpercentile 67,605 of 127,809 schools have worse air.

ETA: Thanks for the thread Capoly, very interesting!!!!

How much research do they do? I checked out my school and the school where my daughter goes. A few of the plants they listed have been closed. I live in a factory/textile area, but those industries haven't been strong in a long time. Many of them have closed down.

I saw the article and immediately reported an elementary school in my area that backs up to a major freeway! I can't believe they closed my daughter's elementary school in favor of this one! 750 kids now go there and they already know the air quality isn't safe for adults!:furious::furious::furious:

I checked out my school and while I agree that the companies listed definitely contribute to poor air quality, they were missing two BIGGIES for us.
1) Reconstruction/renovation at the school (I always thought it was illegal to remove asbestos w/ people in the building--my bad!)
2) We were the site of one of the first nuclear power plants in America. There were problems the likes of which Three Mile Island never saw and no one was evacuated. With the contamination in the soil, there still has to be something in the air--especially in the spring w/ plow days.

I checked out my school and while I agree that the companies listed definitely contribute to poor air quality, they were missing two BIGGIES for us.
1) Reconstruction/renovation at the school (I always thought it was illegal to remove asbestos w/ people in the building--my bad!)
2) We were the site of one of the first nuclear power plants in America. There were problems the likes of which Three Mile Island never saw and no one was evacuated. With the contamination in the soil, there still has to be something in the air--especially in the spring w/ plow days.

It is very illegal for any renovation to be done anywhere without the proper equipment and no one should be around-only the people working on the project and they need to be properly protected. I would definitely report that to the authorities!
Isn't it amazing what people in high places think they can get away with? Obviously, they are not looking out for the best interest of the future generation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back