Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady's son is 100% hers

kk's mom

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can't find an article anywhere, just a snippet of what she said. Does anyone else find this strange? I'm all for step-parents playing an active role in their stepchild's life and accepting them as if they were one of their own, but the way she worded this really bothers me>.......

"I understand that he has a mom, and I respect that. But to me, it’s not like because somebody else delivered him, that’s not my child -- I feel it is, 100 percent," she added."

If I were the mother of Tom Brady's son, I'd be a little annoyed with this comment. Or am I just reading into this wrong?

I heard a little bid of this also on tv and thought at the time it was odd. It would be different if the child maybe had lost their mother and she was then taking over the mother role but since that's not the case I found her words to be rather arrogant but then what do I know?

VB

I think if I were the mother of the child, I might think it an odd statement, but as an ordinary person, I'd like to think she just meant that no matter what, she's close to him and not a stepmonster. :blowkiss:

I really can't interpret what she said because I don't know the relationship she has with the child's Mother. I think she is saying the same as Boyz Mum stated, she loves this child as if he were her own.

If there is contention and tension in the relationship between her and the boys Mother then it could be taken as an ugly thing to say. But if they get along and the Mother already knows that as a step-mom Gesele is dedicated to her son as much as she is, it's a wonderful thing for this child.

O/T My ex-Husband never remarried but he had a livein for about 5 years, and I was so heartbroken when they broke up because she was an amazing person, and she loved my son and treated my son with love and respect and I will always be thankful for that.

… And God Created Gisele

Despite their commitment to spending time with John, however, Gisele has never met his mother. “I understand that he has a mom, and I respect that, but to me it’s not like because somebody else delivered him, that’s not my child. I feel it is, 100 percent,” Gisele says

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/features/2009/05/gisele-bundchen200905?currentPage=2

Words of advice, Gisele: Never use the word 'it' when professing to having a mother's love for a child. Mothers have eagle eyes & elephant recall.

All over the web, I have read people lashing out at Giselle for what I see as a beautiful, laudable sentiment. English is not her first language and I do not know exactly what question was asked of her, so I won't split hairs about whether or not the quote sounded awkward or she misspoke a gender reference (I do that all the time when I try to speak French or Spanish).

What I read her to say is that she loves Tom's child as if that child were her own. Since she's going to have a major influence in that child's life, it's awesome that she feels this way. What a lucky little boy he will be if he has a Mom and a stepMom who love him utterly.

How anyone can find fault with that is beyond me.

From above linked article:

"Gisele speaks fluent English, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish in addition to some German and some French—"

I wasn't criticizing her at all.....she is a very smart & beautiful woman. But no matter what language is spoken, the word 'it' is not advisable to use when referring to a child.

oh lawd...enough with the nit picking! She loves the child as if HE or SHE was her own. I think that's the important thing here.

If you really want to be nit picky - I guess one should never have a sign in their yard that says "IT'S a GIRL!" or "IT's A BOY!" etc....

Just sayin...

I have read a number of articles about this quotation -- taken from a Vanity Fair cover story magazine article (probably April 2009). English is not her first language and I believe something was lost in the translation so I am giving Gisele the benefit of the doubt on her statement. (My late husband was Cree and that was his 1st language. He was an excellent translator, but sometimes there were no English equivilents to Cree concepts.)

I am also a stepmother and appreciate the delicacies of the position. My youngest stepdaughter's mother probably has borderline personality disorder, and I had to be very careful to not ever cross the line of ever acting or saying that I was anything more than a stepmother or her mother would go into a rage.

In this case, I hope the baby's mother is a mentally and emotionally healthy woman who does not take the stepmother's remarks in the wrong way.

In my husband's culture, there are what he translated as "big mothers" who are the biological mothers of children, and "little mothers" who are the aunts, stepmothers and other women who care for children in a family and/or community. All women (and men) were expected to look out for the welfare of all children. It makes sense, doesn't it?

I have read a number of articles about this quotation -- taken from a Vanity Fair cover story magazine article (probably April 2009). English is not her first language and I believe something was lost in the translation so I am giving Gisele the benefit of the doubt on her statement. (My late husband was Cree and that was his 1st language. He was an excellent translator, but sometimes there were no English equivilents to Cree concepts.)

I am also a stepmother and appreciate the delicacies of the position. My youngest stepdaughter's mother probably has borderline personality disorder, and I had to be very careful to not ever cross the line of ever acting or saying that I was anything more than a stepmother or her mother would go into a rage.

In this case, I hope the baby's mother is a mentally and emotionally healthy woman who does not take the stepmother's remarks in the wrong way.

In my husband's culture, there are what he translated as "big mothers" who are the biological mothers of children, and "little mothers" who are the aunts, stepmothers and other women who care for children in a family and/or community. All women (and men) were expected to look out for the welfare of all children. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Very well put, Penelope. :blowkiss:

I don't see a problem with what she said. I have said the same thing about my step-daughter and my Dh says the same thing about my boys. They are just as much his as they are mine.

She doesn't have a good relationship with the Mom, she has no relationship. It was a BAD deal with Tom and the ex, he took up with G immediately and then the ex found out she was pregnant. I'm sure she was hurt by it all, even if he is free to move on, the timing was awful. Then the church she introduced Tom to and they attended (her church) is the church he chooses to get married to G in! He's a jerk, IMO.

She doesn't have a good relationship with the Mom, she has no relationship. It was a BAD deal with Tom and the ex, he took up with G immediately and then the ex found out she was pregnant. I'm sure she was hurt by it all, even if he is free to move on, the timing was awful. Then the church she introduced Tom to and they attended (her church) is the church he chooses to get married to G in! He's a jerk, IMO.

Tom had broken up with Bridget, briefly gotten back together and then they broke up again. He started dating Gisele shortly after and it is my understanding from numerous sources close to the situation, that the breakup with Bridget was a long time coming and that she might have intentionally gotten pregnant in her desperation to keep him. Also, when Bridget and Tom first met and began dating, unbeknownst to Tom, Bridget was living with someone else. While I personally do not know Bridget, the people I know close to Tom and others who have worked with her professionally, do not have very flattering things to say about her.

I also wanted to add that is very discouraging to read people criticizing her statement when they haven't even read the article in question. IMO, this is a whole lot of sensationalist reporting trying to increase sales for the magazine.

Lol, well your celeb inside sources are certainly better than mine. I didn't say anything about G or B's behavior really, I said TOM is a jerk IMO. Although I would not be surprised if she said it to fan the flames a little. Think people should see this as part of a possibly bigger issue between parents, that's all. Outta here.

Sounds like a difficult situation for everyone involved. From what I understand, Tom has custody of the baby 50% of the time when he is in town and of course Gisele helps him to care for the little boy. Therefore, Gisele has been a part of the baby's life since he was born. But I can also feel for Bridgit -- I would have a hard time having my ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend (now wife) caring for my baby. I would be worried all the time when the baby is with them! It takes a lot of trust on the birth mother's part. I did read the Vanity Fair article and from how Gisele described her family (I believe she is from Argentina), she grew up in a loving, stable environment with 4 or 5 sisters whom she now employs as her managers and attorney. (One even runs her website). Hopefully they are all adult enough to do whatever is in the best interest of the child.

Lol, well your celeb inside sources are certainly better than mine. I didn't say anything about G or B's behavior really, I said TOM is a jerk IMO. Although I would not be surprised if she said it to fan the flames a little. Think people should see this as part of a possibly bigger issue between parents, that's all. Outta here.

You seem to be offended by what I wrote, which was not my intent. I disagreed with what you said, and that is all.

I worked in professional sports for a number of years and trust me when I say that scene has PLENTY of jerks but IMO Tom Brady is not one of them.

My hope is she meant she couldn't love him anymore if she HAD given birth to him. The only thing that would bother me is that the child would benefit more from having all his parents communicating and having a good relationship. If I were either woman, I'd WANT to try and develop a healthy or at least civil relationship. Certainly my step daughter is 30, married and has her own child, but her Mother and I speak and always hug when we see each other at gatherings etc. We're not pals, but I am comfortable with her and I think she is with me as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back