Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Against KC in Jeopardy?

Case Against KC in Jeopardy?

OK, I understand that this was accidentally leaked and should not have been out there for the public as of yet -

But are you telling me, honestly, that in this country, a guilty person can WALK simply because someone made a mistake?

That is BS!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513298,00.html

I am so tired of this case dragging on and exhausted by the new twists - what exactly does this evidence being released have to do with the fact that KC killed her 2 year old daughter?

Any legal gurus out there feel like explaining what thsi could mean for prosecution? Can she appeal if found guilty now?

If it was an accident,why the duct tape?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seebra For This Useful Post:

I just keep scratching my head, though. Wasn't JB given 15 days after viewing the video to file an objection or motion to suppress? (Our legal pundits can correct my terminology.) IIRC, didn't he miss the deadline for filing his motion?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyTinkieGirl For This Useful Post:

Did either of you see a video of Casey in a jumpsuit rubbing her hands and hyperventilating? I haven't seen it. Is this actual video of Casey's reaction out there? Please link! TIA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Loves Lurking For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MyTinkieGirl View Post
    I just keep scratching my head, though. Wasn't JB given 15 days after viewing the video to file an objection or motion to suppress? (Our legal pundits can correct my terminology.) IIRC, didn't he miss the deadline for filing his motion?
    EXACTLY!!!!! This was supposed to have already been resolved a while ago, and yet, like everything in this case, it is still dragging on.

It reminds me of a circus, only in this, it's almost as though the suspect has more rights than the victim.

I'm tired of the A's, tired of JB, and extremely aggravated and sickened by KC's antics.

I'm sure I state this for many, many people that we want a resolution, the evidence to be out there and the guilty party to pay for what they've done to that beautiful baby girl.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seebra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Loves Lurking View Post
    Did either of you see a video of Casey in a jumpsuit rubbing her hands and hyperventilating? I haven't seen it. Is this actual video of Casey's reaction out there? Please link! TIA.
    I don't believe there is a video released yet of KC's reaction.

I am referring to the two audio tapes released of the attending officers and the video of KC after her indictment - which were not supposed to be released.

But honestly, what is in these things that we didn't already know, or at least assume????

I am trying to understand our legal system, and how something as trivial as this could jeopardize the case that appears to be otherwise so solid.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seebra For This Useful Post:

I haven't seen the Casey/collapse/hyperventilate video released. I have heard the audio interviews from the jail staff (posted online at many Orlando newstations). If worse comes to worse then I'd think the option would be simply to not allow the video at trial and to VOIR DIRE (a duh) the potential jurors to make sure they did not know anything about the video (Casey's response to hearing of bones being found on Suburban). Problem solved.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Theonly1 For This Useful Post:

I'm not worried it's just another Defense Attorney putting her 2 cents in just alot of the TH..which most don't know what they are talking about.

This one leak supposedly by the jailer shouldn't affect the whole case..all they have to do is throw it out..an who cares..

That's just my opinion an I am sticking with it.

The Defense is hard at work to try anything to save Casey now it's throw Jesse under the bus..
    Give me a Break.
    More Lies an Lies..

I hope Judge Strickland action shakes up the Defense..
    IMO

"May you always have LOVE to share,health to spare,and Friends that care."

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shotzie For This Useful Post:

Was it the tape of her reaction, or the officers statements that were to be withheld by Judges order?

I THOUGHT it was the actual tape...and it wasn't released...

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paladine For This Useful Post:

JB's motion to supress the VIDEO tape of KC was the only issue before the court. His motion did not address testimony of jail personnel, etc.

And I am sick and tired of television THs who constantly refer to information released in compliance with the Florida Sunshine Laws as LEAKS. This is not leaking information by the prosecution, it is complying with discovery laws. Geeeez

As far as KC rubbing the palms of her hands, she always does that everytime I see pics of her in court. That would not be anything out of the norm for her.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angeleleven For This Useful Post:

I agree with you Seebra. Between this case and my husband's dealings in the NJ Family courts with his crazy, bitter ex. I have no faith in our justice system. I hope I'm wrong in both cases but I'm not holding my breath.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cara's Mom For This Useful Post:

And honestly, I'd love to start a poll - was anyone surprised or blindsided by what they heard in the officer's audio tape?

No bombshell for me - I expected absolutely nothing less than that reaction from KC - not because it was her beautiful daughter that was found, but because she KNEW she was in deep doodoo.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seebra For This Useful Post:

I wasn't surprised by her reaction-she knew her goose was cooked, not, "oh my poor baby"!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara's Mom For This Useful Post:

The defense can put their spin on Casey's reaction. Problem solved.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nyvictoria For This Useful Post:

I think the interviews with jail personnel are part of the SA's ongoing investigation of KC, will possibly become evidence, and thus, will ultimately become subject to discovery and sunshine laws.
    I don't thnk the judge would have ruled to keep them sealed anyway.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Marina2 For This Useful Post:

I was thinking the case against KC may be in jeopardy more to Judge Strickland filing the complaint against JB. Could the defense ask him to be recused due to bias at this point? And if so, where would the case stand then? Would it be back to square one? The twists and turns in this case are astounding, far more so than the OJS case.

As far as the released audio tapes of the interviews, I do not see that interfering in the case. The motion was to suppress the video of KCs reaction. That has not been released. I think the defense plays with fire too much. They wanted the release of the 8/4 jail visit released and it backfired on them, this is just stirring the pot, and will expose the defense as more incompetent (should have filed the motion to supress audio as well) I do not think she will be able to use ineffective counsel on appeal due to the fact that there are so many experienced experts as co-counsel.

All this is MOO.
    Support our Troops

Very Proud Mom of a United States Marine

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LisaNY For This Useful Post:

For reference, here is the March 11 emergency motion:
    EMERGENCY MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER AND OTHER RELIEF
    http://wdbo.com/news/caseyanthony/em...ive_order.html

It seems to address *only* communications between KC and her attorney. The observations of the jail employees that took place before Baez met with KC may be exempt, and tapes of KC without any of her attorneys may be exempt. Just a non-lawyer's interpretation of the language within the motion.

I hope some of our fine WS legal professionals will be kind enough to review the motion and clarify for us. TIA!

WHEREFORE the Defendant, CASEY MARIE ANTHONY, prays that this Honorable Court enter a protective order prohibiting the State and its various law enforcement agencies, including but not limited to the Orange County Department of Corrections and/or the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and the office of the State Attorney, prohibiting the State and its various law enforcement agencies from: 1) Monitoring and/or disclosing any communications between Casey Anthony and her attorneys or attorney’s agents; 2) saving any video and/or audio taping the Defendant and Defendant’s counsel while meeting; 3) disclosing to anyone anything that occurred in the meetings or communications with counsel; 4) turning over all video or audio tapes or reports or other methods of memorializing meeting between the attorney and client that occurred on any other dates besides those already turned over for December 11,2008; 5) conducting a full testimonial hearing to determine who authorized that the communications, tapes be saved, reported on, or otherwise authorized all discussed herein; 6) order that any discovery which has as a part communications or images between Casey Anthony with the attorneys not be disclosed to the public; 7) order a testimonial hearing on the issue if it deems necessary; 8)any and all other relief that is within the power of this court.

ETA: surprisingly, I don't see any wording in what he's asking here that says he doesn't want the video of KC's reaction released. I admit, this made me giggle.

33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LisaNY View Post
    I was thinking the case against KC may be in jeopardy more to Judge Strickland filing the complaint against JB. Could the defense ask him to be recused due to bias at this point? And if so, where would the case stand then? Would it be back to square one? The twists and turns in this case are astounding, far more so than the OJS case.
    I'm paraphrasing a news source here, but I also think that if KC decides to request Strickland to be recused, she is in for big, big trouble.

Other judges in that area are not so lenient with JB's actions, and not so tolerant.

I actually hope the defense decides to request that Strickland be recused. I want a judge in there that won't take this bull$#@@ any longer.

I want KC to PAY for what she has done.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seebra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seebra View Post
    I'm paraphrasing a news source here, but I also think that if KC decides to request Strickland to be recused, she is in for big, big trouble.

Other judges in that area are not so lenient with JB's actions, and not so tolerant.

I actually hope the defense decides to request that Strickland be recused. I want a judge in there that won't take this bull$#@@ any longer.

I want KC to PAY for what she has done.
    I must have missed the news article. Did it state what may happen (besides a less lenient judge being appointed to the case) if Judge Strickland were to be recused? What is the procedure when something like that happens, does the "new" Judge get brought up to date by reading the transcripts or does everything get presented, heard and ruled upon again? I too want KC to pay for what she has done. I think the case is strong, and she will be held accountable. Apparently the State of Fla is growing tired of all the BS and wants everyone associated with the case to be held accountable for their actions (go Fla!!) I just do not want there to be any grounds for appeals later on. I would think a second trial would exhaust the taxpayers.
    I also want to add that I think Judge Strickland has been doing a great job up to this point. He seems fair and just to both sides, and as unfortunate as it may seem must entertain the motions the defense files.

moo.
    Support our Troops

Very Proud Mom of a United States Marine

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LisaNY For This Useful Post:

Like my husband always says when I get worked up that some piddily mistake could jeopardize this case....."let her out!" and then he just laughs and laughs...

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pattymarie For This Useful Post:

I agree with the posters above who are tired of the talking heads calling everything released under the Sunshine laws "leaks." There may have been some leaks, but all the disclosures of discovery materials are NOT that.

I just read the paragraph posted of the emergency motion for a protective order. It's pretty specific in its language and focuses on A/C interactions between the defendant and her attorney. It doesn't even seem to cover the witness statements that were accidentally released. It also doesn't seem to cover the tape of her reaction without her lawyer present, if this is all that JB has filed. I admit I need to go read the entire motion and see what else it out there. My impression was that he had not even filed any TIMELY motion.

Having said that, I imagine that the state didn't want to skirt close to the edge here, and if JB was challenging the tape of Casey A's reaction before JB got there, they would have waited for a ruling before releasing the interview transcripts about the same subject matter. Judges hate constant disputes and inability of the parties to agree on anything, especially right from the outset of a case. So the best thing to do is to try to be reliable, reasonable, compliant, and to establish some credibility with the court. The SA's have been pretty cautious and measured, but anyone can make a mistake. Responsibilities get delegated. You can miss things. If the court feels it has to do something, it could exclude the evidence. The case isn't going to rise and fall on this.

As to the report to the Bar, if that's true, then Judge S was just doing what is required. Someone else must have had the same reaction. The defense could try to recuse him, but they have to make some showing. It isn't automatic or all that easy.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amethyst221 For This Useful Post:

IF they are leaking things that should not come out then IMO it has hurt the case and it should be thrown out. NOW NOW NOW I KNOW what your saying buttttttttt shes guilty. Well she also lives in the USA and unfortunally has rights just like everyone of us. does not make it right but it is what it is .
    She should get a fair trial just like everyone else in this world. SORRY I KNOW shes horriable but she does need to get a fair trial.I hate even typing that. I am NOT a fan of her's I THINK SHE IS GUILTY. However I also do think they could be tanting a Jury. JMO
    I have never ever seen a case like this. NEVER EVER . I honestly do think that to much is being released in order for her to get a fair trial. JMO They IMO need to shut the heck up and build a case against her.. Making it solid where nothing can stop getting guilty instead of letting everyone in the world know every detail.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to 6angels For This Useful Post:

It's too bad the defendant's attorney was so opposed to a gag order in this case, isn't it?

45. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to amethyst221 For This Useful Post:

I've been saying for months that I'm terrified of a mistrial.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that folks want justice for Caylee... I mean, who wouldn't? The American legal system affords certain rights to all individuals, and no... it's not a perfect system. It's also very irritating that said system can be manipulated and screwed around with by less scrupulous people to the advantage of the defendant.

I think the media folk like to get hung up on the little details. Things like this jailhouse video and KC's reaction etc etc.. I think Baez likes to hang onto this stuff too, as if it really means anything.

JMO, but they, the prosecution already has all the evidence it needs to hang KC... This silly obsfugation (sp) with motion after motion filed by the defense only serves to delay and confuse... which, well... I suppose I can see why... but this should be an open and shut case. A done deal.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Issi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst221 View Post
    It's too bad the defendant's attorney was so opposed to a gag order in this case, isn't it?
    Absolutely!! I'll bet ol' JB is kicking himself repeatedly for that ace play.
    Now appearing on the "Complete Waste" Tour...
    "Mother of the Year"

49. The Following User Says Thank You to lastchance For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast