2008.12.18 Deputy Richard Cain Interview "Cop Who Got Fired!"

I'm watching too and just heard it! Oh good grief. The defense will take this and run with it.

This is a perfect example of the need for ongoing training! I cannot believe he got a call about a bag with bones in it, went to the site and didn't ask the caller to show him the bag before he gave up. I don't understand what took them so long. It is impossible to measure how much he cost the state by being so lazy and unprofessional. I wouldn't have him in charge of my pets let alone with a badge and a gun.

Ultimately this is one more casualty of KC's actions. :furious:

Not that I think he should have been fired, but I DO think as many times as Kronk called in the tip, the day that Kronk waited out there, they should have checked into better. For Kronk to have been so persistent, I don't know how he found it in the first place but I think he saw something that made him KNOW it was human remains/Caylee related...

So the day that Kronk met the deputy there, the deputy should have had Kronk go with him and show him. The deputy should have looked around really thoroughly, looked inside any bags, etc.

I don't think the deputy should lose his job. But yes he should have gotten into some trouble for it. The way I see it is poor Caylee could have been brought home much earlier, as it's unbearable and sad to me to think of her dumped out there like trash, and left all alone that way. :furious: Anything that delayed her discovery due to laziness or negligence...should have been dealt with. I do feel sorry for guy for losing his job over it though. I am sure he wasn't thinking this was a legit tip. I don't think he was negligent on purpose....just assumed there was nothing there too quickly after not checking it out, because of snakes or laziness or whatever...

See, my bigger issue is that I think Kronk KNEW it was Caylee the FIRST time he called. He didn't want to say too much and insert himself into this case. So he was not firm or direct, assuming that the call would get her found...after a couple days went by and there was no news, Kronk should not have waited so long or called so many times before meeting someone out there- he should have made one more call and led a deputy to the item. I think Kronk knew it was Caylee. I don't know if it's because he played detective for himself and poked around and found her, or if someone tipped him off to go make the discovery and call. But I think he saw something and knew it was remains of a person.

This is a perfect example of the need for ongoing training! I cannot believe he got a call about a bag with bones in it, went to the site and didn't ask the caller to show him the bag before he gave up. I don't understand what took them so long. It is impossible to measure how much he cost the state by being so lazy and unprofessional. I wouldn't have him in charge of my pets let alone with a badge and a gun.

Well, I can appreciate this post...I just feel bad that he lost his job. Yeah, he was lazy.......maybe they got lots of these types of calls after Caylee went missing and he was lazy and made the assumption that this was just another bum tip. I think it's TERRIBLE that his missing it caused Caylee to lie out there for so much longer than she had to. But, I am just not sure I think the deputy should lose his job...I think a disciplinary action on his record and more training so that he would never do this again would suffice...I just hate he lost his job. I don't know why I feel sympathy for him, it just seems KC left a huge wake of destruction in her path :furious:

:waitasec:Hmmmm. I wonder what his ties to the Anthony's are? Why would he lie? Who put him up to it?

Well, I can appreciate this post...I just feel bad that he lost his job. Yeah, he was lazy.......maybe they got lots of these types of calls after Caylee went missing and he was lazy and made the assumption that this was just another bum tip. I think it's TERRIBLE that his missing it caused Caylee to lie out there for so much longer than she had to. But, I am just not sure I think the deputy should lose his job...I think a disciplinary action on his record and more training so that he would never do this again would suffice...I just hate he lost his job. I don't know why I feel sympathy for him, it just seems KC left a huge wake of destruction in her path :furious:

I agree - if this was a low profile case I don't believe he would have been fired - he didn't see anything and thought the area had already been searched - so what if he was rude to the meter reader -(not that I agree with being rude ever) it just doesn't justify him being fired IMO

I have to say I am not surprised. After I listened to YM and JA interview him 2x, I was shocked that this person was even a deputy to begin with. I hate to say it, but I don't think this was his calling in life and I don't think OCSO really had any other choice. I hope he finds another job soon. jmo

Deputy Refuses To Accept Termination Over Response To Call

The deputy who investigated a call for service from the man who ended up finding
Caylee Anthony's remains was fired by the Orange County Sheriff's Office, but
he refused the termination and will keep his job until an appeal is heard.
MORE DETAILS:

http://www.wftv.com/tu/5FWhBgJcL.html

Another victim of KC. Officer Cain has children to support and now no job in this horrible economy. I am not sure what he was supposed to do other than go into the woods and look for what RK said he saw. When Officer Cain found nothing, what was he supposed to do - call in the Mounties?

There must be more to his firing than this one incident. I wish all the best for him and his family.

Edited to add: Good for him, I hope he wins his appeal.

If he got fired over the Caylee case, then yes, he is a Casey victim... but if he got fired for not doing his sworn duty, regardless of which case involved, then he has only himself to blame for the firing.

This was not the first incident in which it was reported that he didn't follow-up on a tip/complainant. Definitely not an isolated incident. Having been reprimanded for the same thing before...the latest one (Caylee) just exponentially compounded it.

I hate for anyone to lose their job in this economy, but this guy should have checked especially knowing there was a child missing in that area. If he had been reprimanded before then he was well aware of what he should be doing as far as his job went. Had he done his job this baby would have been found sooner and it would have shut the A's up sooner.

I have to say I am not surprised. After I listened to YM and JA interview him 2x, I was shocked that this person was even a deputy to begin with. I hate to say it, but I don't think this was his calling in life and I don't think OCSO really had any other choice. I hope he finds another job soon. jmo

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Couldn't agree more.

I'm torn on this issue. I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts. I think he missed the chance back in August, as I am absolutely convinced Caylee's remains had been there since June. I think it would have been easier to determine cause of death back then. I also realize they got hundreds of tips that were just people wanting to hear themselves talk. I hate that the man lost his job, I hate for anyone to be out of work. However, following tips and doing the leg work of mundane reports is a big part of being a cop, even when you think they are not important. If he doesn't want to do the tedious things, he probably needs to find a new line of work.

I'm not suggesting this tip was tedious - I'm just saying day to day police calls get to be 'routine' and a big part of the job is not falling into the pattern of not taking every call about every situation very seriously.

I do think it's another tragic domino effect of KC's crimes and lies.

Had the body been found sooner there would have been an extremely different situation for being able to find out evidence about the cause and timing of the death from forensic science examinations.

This was not the first incident in which it was reported that he didn't follow-up on a tip/complainant. Definitely not an isolated incident. Having been reprimanded for the same thing before...the latest one (Caylee) just exponentially compounded it.
On another thread the discussion includes the possibility that KC was observed in a hotel parking lot about 11:30 p.m. to about 11:45 p.m., pacing and talkiong on her cell phone with no baby in sight on the night of June 15, 2008, shortly after the swimming and the family fight with the choking and threats of CA seeking custody. I wonder if this is another tip he didn't follow up on?

The bottom line is that KC could walk because this guy did not do his job properly, and then to save his own skin, he lied about it. You can't have someone like this on the force, period.

Any legal eagles with an opinion as to just how significant this firing is to the defense's case ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back