719 users online (119 members and 600 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Cost of Justice for Caylee

With Casey Anthony's life at stake, court costs will soar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6347811.story

This article explains, in detail, why the costs of a death penalty trial are so much higher than a non-death penalty trial.

I am ordinarily a death penalty opponent. In Caylee's case, however, she was a defenseless baby. Caylee's mother (and her mother's family) have so steadfastly and strongly attempted to thwart any and all efforts to tell the whole truth of what happened to Caylee. I feel a very tough trial and very tough jurors are necessary in order for justice to be served for Caylee.

The costs of that bother me only because I feel a death penalty trial is a choice that KC, her defense team, and KC's family have made, by not being forthcoming about what happened to Caylee.

I am not a resident of Florida, and therefore not a taxpayer there. I am, however, more than willing to contribute to a state or county fund to seek the whole truth of what happened to Caylee, and to prosecute the guilty and prevent them from committing more harm.

If the costs of a death penalty trial bother KC's defense attorney, Baez, as he recently expressed, there are, and have been, other options. Not once have I heard Baez express any desire on his part or the part of his client to seek the truth and justice for Caylee, and that is the most important part of all this to me.

Thoughts on these costs?

ETA: Baez quote
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19174406/detail.html

"Will it affect the trial? Yes, it may delay it. It certainly will make the costs to the taxpayers to the state of Florida at least triple," said Baez, who is not qualified to be lead counsel on a death-penalty case.

From the article linked above:

A private attorney in a death penalty case can charge $100,000 to $500,000 in attorney's fees. Mason said he would need to have several hundred thousand dollars more available to pay any experts needed and other costs to prepare for a defense.

How much of KC's defense costs are being paid by the FL taxpayers? It has been reported that she has sold pictures of her murdered baby Caylee to pay her defense costs.

Will taxpayers still shoulder a portion of the burden of the costs of her choice of a pricey private defense team over a public defender?

Are the costs to the taxpayer more or the same because of her choice of private over public?

I've never objected to the costs to taxpayers of paying for defense. I want everyone in our country to have a good defense, and a fair trial. I never want anyone to be unjustly prosecuted or punished.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
    With Casey Anthony's life at stake, court costs will soar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6347811.story

This article explains, in detail, why the costs of a death penalty trial are so much higher than a non-death penalty trial.

I am ordinarily a death penalty opponent. In Caylee's case, however, she was a defenseless baby. Caylee's mother (and her mother's family) have so steadfastly and strongly attempted to thwart any and all efforts to tell the whole truth of what happened to Caylee. I feel a very tough trial and very tough jurors are necessary in order for justice to be served for Caylee.

The costs of that bother me only because I feel a death penalty trial is a choice that KC, her defense team, and KC's family have made, by not being forthcoming about what happened to Caylee.

I am not a resident of Florida, and therefore not a taxpayer there. I am, however, more than willing to contribute to a state or county fund to seek the whole truth of what happened to Caylee, and to prosecute the guilty and prevent them from committing more harm.

If the costs of a death penalty trial bother KC's defense attorney, Baez, as he recently expressed, there are, and have been, other options. Not once have I heard Baez express any desire on his part or the part of his client to seek the truth and justice for Caylee, and that is the most important part of all this to me.

Thoughts on these costs?

ETA: Baez quote
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19174406/detail.html

"Will it affect the trial? Yes, it may delay it. It certainly will make the costs to the taxpayers to the state of Florida at least triple," said Baez, who is not qualified to be lead counsel on a death-penalty case.

there are worse things that as a taxpayer I am paying for.....but do agree it is and has been their choice....I'm tired of the victim game they self promote every time....this isn't about them or the "force"---its about JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE....they seem to forget about her.....
    jmo

I think JB could only think of one thing to publicly attack the state about for filing the death option. Cost seems pretty shallow to me at this point, considering the millions of dollars his client allowed to be wasted on the search for a child she had killed. Also the cost of keeping the inmate in solitary and all the protection and deputies camped out at the house last summer. Then you start to add up the cost of the scientific evidence and the trial and yeah, it's millions. Hey JB, tell you client she should have told the truth on June 16th 2008 when she killed her daughter if you want to show how to save money.

I no longer live in FL, but if I were a taxpayer in FL I wouldn't be bothered by the higher price tag of the DP case. Some crimes are so heinous the perps who commit them should receive the highest penalty. If guilty of the crime, I believe the punishment is fitting.
    This case makes my brain go all wonky!!

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    I think JB could only think of one thing to publicly attack the state about for filing the death option. Cost seems pretty shallow to me at this point, considering the millions of dollars his client allowed to be wasted on the search for a child she had killed. Also the cost of keeping the inmate in solitary and all the protection and deputies camped out at the house last summer. Then you start to add up the cost of the scientific evidence and the trial and yeah, it's millions. Hey JB, tell you client she should have told the truth on June 16th 2008 when she killed her daughter if you want to show how to save money.
    this was going to be my point......ALL of the volunteers and money that went in to finding Caylee........PLUS ....all of the money for extra manpower from LE..........PLUS.....her *free* room and board in solitary confinement.......Seems as if she (her AND Beaz) would bleed this country dry to get her out of payimg the consequences of her actions......It TRUELY is her actions that got us here.....SHE WENT 31 DAYS BEFORE SHE DID *ANYTHING* ABOUT HER MISSING DAUGHTER. - almost forgot about all the money she stole from friends and family........

Actually, I think the cost will at least double, if not triple, because the longer Casey is in jail, the more it will cost. I can also see the defense pushing the trial back several times due to attempts at change of venue and finding enough qualified jurors. It might be another two years before the actual trial gets underway. Doing so also allows time for the public to forget the details of the crime.

In this case, the cost is worth it. The only people seeking justice for Caylee are complete strangers. There is no price tag on bringing her murderer to justice--and shouldn't be for anyone else who is a victim of a crime. Too bad the A's won't just stop this all and tell the truth...

On a side note, maybe all those people from accross the country who are donating to her jail commissary account can put some money towards the cost of the trial...

Depends on one's definition of justice. IMO, death doesn't necessarily equal "justice" because I do not support the death penalty in general. Assuming she is guilty, justice is giving her a fair trial,keeping her off the streets,keeping us safe from her, and denying her the rights and freedoms that the rest of us enjoy.
    So, no I don't think the cost of death penalty trial is worth it, because I don't need death for justice.

jmho of course.

I take it we can't make a donation to the SA's office to help pay for CA's prosecution, could we?

ecs5298 is offline Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL & Hardwood Mulch King & Bacon Addict
    I'm really appalled that JB would even make reference to the cost of this trial when his client has the power to bring this circus to a close by telling the truth for once in her life.

More than likely what he was subconsciously complaining about was the additional cost to himself due to having to hire DP qualified lawyers. If we set a precedence in this country that you can get away with things if it costs the government too much money to prosecute you we open the door to every criminal trying to make their case a media circus.

Then again, my perception might be a little warped. I'm still a firm believer of "trial in the morning/hanging in the afternoon"
    "When it all goes down the crapper, don't come crying to me. You were warned" - ecs5298, November 6, 2012

In comparison to what has already been spent on this fiasco, I believe the DP trial would be a drop in the bucket. From TES to private searcers, OCSO, FBI, etc., etc., etc.

Some don't feel they need the death penalty for justice? Too bad KC didn't feel that way with Caylee.

I say you get what you give.
    My posts are my opinion only.....

To hear Jose complain about the cost of a DP trial makes me sick, he has had a hand in stopping Casey everytime she got close to talking to LE, her family, about what really happened. Would Casey have really been honest during any of those conversations ? Thanks to Jose we will never know.

Like NG said last night. JB is not looking out for the best interest of his client. (not that I care) He just wants a trial no matter what happens to her. Maybe KC has finally met her match. She thinks JB is there to support her, when in fact he's looking down the road to how much money he's going to make from the publicity and all the attention he'll get when this goes to trial. He'll be smiling all the way to the bank while KC sits waiting for the chair or needle. They should lock him up with her as far as I'm concerned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast