937 users online (192 members and 745 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_finch View Post
    So true. BTW, exactly HOW do you swallow 3 exacto knife blades?
    Don't know how anyone could swallow such a sharp object. Unless she wrapped a soft food (such as cheese) around the sharp blades, you would think extensive damage to her throat would be likely.

Why? Did I miss something? Did she say something similar or what?

WHOA, just got a vision of Patsy Ramsey.......wow

Her family is in some big kind of denial. They told reporters that Melissa had "digestive troubles" and "stomach ulcers".

I'm glad someone else asked that question. I was sitting here trying to picture how she would be able to choke the blades down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonni Brenda View Post
    I read that pedophiles usually choose a certain age group. I wonder what was happening to her when she was age 7-8? Could be when she was beginning to be molested?
    It is possible, but I would hope people don't jump to that conclusion or the implication it had to be someone from her family.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I'm betting she was sexually abused, terribly, at some time. I also bet she has not coped in her life. I find it sickening what she did. I also think some part of her probably is sickened by what she did too. She has to pay for what she did. I do feel she is insane.
    No question that she meets the legal test of sanity, which is pretty low, and mens rea specific - she knew she was doing wrong, and did it anyway.

That doesn't mean she doesn't have delusions or mania or obsessions or abnormal impulses.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    No question that she meets the legal test of sanity, which is pretty low, and mens rea specific - she knew she was doing wrong, and did it anyway.

That doesn't mean she doesn't have delusions or mania or obsessions or abnormal impulses.
    Sarah, is the insanity defense so narrow? Does it always come down to that one question?

I don't take for granted MH was ever molested. Her letters to her HS friend "Emmabella" indicate she was considering suicide over problems and that she was just unwanted, "in the way" and no one would miss her. I think she was furious, angry, that she felt supplanted by the families young foster/adopted daughter.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out she acted out her aggression against the young family addition, who was 7-8. She might have developed a taste for harming young girls as a result of her taking out her anger on her rival/replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    All they are saying is that she is with family members...could be her father and step mother or others.
    So now we know she is in great hands....NOT...

Sorry, I know I am being too judgmental at this point, until we know for sure whether Melissa was sexually abused by someone in her family...The immediate Lawless family may not be murderers but I don't think they are the best caregivers in the world. I guess it may be a tad better than putting little (redacted) into the child protective care system.
    Last edited by Animal04216; 04-15-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: redact minors name

I'm thinking by using a piece of bread, or inside a piece of hot dog or something. The blades are pretty small.

Maybe she swallowed them and immediately brought herself to the hospital intentionally to set up her insanity plea.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

Sarah, is the insanity defense so narrow? Does it always come down to that one question?
    The legal question is very nearly that simple. It has nothing to do with medical insanity, really. Legal insanity is defined in most places as not understanding the difference between right and wrong, and sometimes as committing the [otherwise criminal] act as a result of an uncontrollable impulse.

However, a completely delusional person, like Colin Ferguson, may be found sane because he understood well enough that he was committing revenge killings in violation of the law.

Yes. The legal definition of insanity is whether the person knew what they were doing was right or wrong. And her actions after the murder prove that she knew right from wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
    Maybe she swallowed them and immediately brought herself to the hospital intentionally to set up her insanity plea.
    I was wondering myself how she got to the hospital. If she went by herself, 911 or a family member. I am shocked that all the family members seemed surprised and never mentioned or alluded to the "suicide attempt". They had to wonder about that wouldn't you think? IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    The legal question is very nearly that simple. It has nothing to do with medical insanity, really. Legal insanity is defined in most places as not understanding the difference between right and wrong, and sometimes as committing the [otherwise criminal] act as a result of an uncontrollable impulse.

However, a completely delusional person, like Colin Ferguson, may be found sane because he understood well enough that he was committing revenge killings in violation of the law.
    Where does our reasoning come into the formula? Is it in the sentencing?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast