695 users online (88 members and 607 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    Wonder what the experts have to say about: cutting yourself internally.
    It is a symptom of Borderline Personality D/O. Symptoms of other personalilty disorders are similar, and may "cross over". Other personality disorders are: Narcissistic, Histrionic, Obsessive-Compulsive, Paranoid, Schizoid, and Psychopathic,(Antisocial ) as well as others. The DSM-IV notes that personality characteristics are "inflexible and maladaptive, and cause either significant functional impairment or subjective distress." Personality disorders are chronic, do not come and go, and originate in childhood or adolescence, and continue throughout adulthood. Borderline P. D/O is part of Cluster B D/O, along with Psychopathic (Antisocial), Histrionic, and Narcissistic. Cluster B is the dramatic,emotional, or erratic cluster, according to DSM IV, which is the "Bible" for mental health professionals, diagnosing mental illnesses. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps. Nonni

I'm not sure I believe this report.
    My neice swallowed a handful of Lexapro - she was kept in the psych ward for over a week - then had to go to treatment every week and be supervised 24-7 for a long time.
    It doesn't make sense that MH would be treated for swallowing xacto blades to kill herself and then just be realeased . . .JMO

PS: My niece is fine now. She got the help she needed. She went to school, became a dog groomer, got married and now has a beautiful baby boy named after my son.
    Happy ending for her.
    ---------

Best Friends Animal Society

A better world through kindness to animals

[I]Please help BestFriends help us.

https://www.bestfriends.org/donate/index.cfm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    I'm not sure I believe this report.
    My neice swallowed a handful of Lexapro - she was kept in the psych ward for over a week - then had to go to treatment every week and be supervised 24-7 for a long time.
    It doesn't make sense that MH would be treated for swallowing xacto blades to kill herself and then just be realeased . . .JMO

PS: My niece is fine now. She got the help she needed. She went to school, became a dog groomer, got married and now has a beautiful baby boy named after my son.
    Happy ending for her.
    In most states you have to stay in the hospital under observation for a few days after a suicide attempt. Maybe California is different?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Where does our reasoning come into the formula? Is it in the sentencing?
    The state of California uses the McNaughton Rule.

Simply put it is a test for criminal insanity.

it must be clearly proved that, at the time of committing the act, the party accused was labouring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing, or, if he did know it, that he did not know he was doing what was wrong.
    link for definition: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/McNaughton_rules

A very interesting Legal paper on how the history of this rule and the applications used today in a Court of Law in California.

http://llr.lls.edu/volumes/v36-issue...10insanity.pdf
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

I've got to wonder if the source of the "attempted suicide story" was not her attorney, but family members. An attorney would be well-versed in the legal definition of "insanity" -- clearly, based upon MH's actions, it appears as though she did know right from wrong. Knowing that, what would the attorney have to gain by releasing the information?

But, on the other hand, the family may simply be trying to garner public sympathy for their loved one. Sort of a "she was mentally ill" excuse. I'm sure they're trying to find a logical explanation for her actions, too.

It was a rumor being floated around as soon as Melissa was ever mentioned in this case. However, it was reported by Tracy Press that TPD had officers stationed at the hospital where she was located for some reason. Melissa was already on their radar and they were watching her closely. A suicide attempt would certainly raise suspicions on the part of LE so I can believe it is true.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Oh yeah, this chick is right up there with the pine cone lady!

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofthis View Post
    In most states you have to stay in the hospital under observation for a few days after a suicide attempt. Maybe California is different?
    No, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    I think I am glad I missed that one.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Usually you are kept for at least a 72 hold. If she didn't have insurance, I am sure they kicked her out after it. They usually do unless they deem them to an immediate danger to themselves or others. They could have observed her, put her on meds, deemed her good to go and kicked her to the curb.

Sadly, it happens all the time in the mental health system. There just isn't the money there if you don't have insurance or inadequate insurance.

as an aside, I am sure her defense lawyer will have her medically evaluated but being mentally ill doesn't equate to being insane.

There is a giant stretch from being mentally ill to being "legally insane".
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

she probably didn't take the razor caps off... i just honestly don't see how she could have done that and not have had to get surgery. of course, i have no medical training and am full of it so i guess it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
    Maybe she swallowed them and immediately brought herself to the hospital intentionally to set up her insanity plea.
    Yes. I remember Mark Hacking (killed his newly pregnant wife Lori after lying about school for years) was found running naked in some hotel parking lot just days after she went missing (and loooong before they found her remains weeks later in the city dump).

I bet that's what He was doing and that's what I think Mellissa is doing too.

No way....she would have had surgery if she really swallowed razor blades. Even if she wrapped them in cheese or bread or whatever. Wouldn't they have torn her up inside on the way out?
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by joga View Post
    she probably didn't take the razor caps off... i just honestly don't see how she could have done that and not have had to get surgery. of course, i have no medical training and am full of it so i guess it's possible.
    Bolded by me.

Uh-huh I think you are on to something there, I bet she didn't either.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast