IL - Jason Harmon, 34, killed in fight with brother, Pekin, 21 June 2007

illinoismom

Reaction score
Hi everyone! with Tricias permission I am going to tell you my story, link a news story for better explaination and adding a link to my petition.

My former husband and father of my children, Jason, was murdered in June 22, 2007 by his brother, Robert. They were drinking and a fight happened resulting in my exhusband being strangled to death. Our children were 16 and 8 at the time.

My ex father in law is the one who posted the bail on Roberts 1M dollar bond by mortgaging his house. While out on bail Robert has been allowed to leave the state of Illinois because he is the owner/operator of his own trucking company, so it is possible that one of you have stood next to him at some point totally not knowing he commited murder. He was also allowed to leave the state the Christmas following the murder of Jason in order to go to Michigan to spend Christmas with family there.

He was indicted by the grand jury on 1st degree murder....initially...

Now, just in this past week I got a call that the States Attorneys office here had made him a plea deal of involuntary manslaughter. The penalty is a minimum 48 months probation and a maximum of 14 years in prison. AND MY KIDS' DAD IS DEAD BY HIS HAND!

We were told that there is nothing we can do to try to appeal the plea so I have organized an online petition to try and get as many signatures as I can in hopes that the judge will take them into consideration and give Robert the 14 years.

While I do not think the punishment fits the crime it is all I know to do to circulate the petition as best I can. And I know Roberts true judgement will come the day he meets his maker.

Here is the link to todays story in our local paper: http://www.pekintimes.com/news/x50618923/Family-No-justice-for-Jason-Harmon

(they only leave the stories up for 14 days)

And here is the link to my petition: http://www.gopetition.com/online/26993.html

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you if you decide to sign! Thanks also to Jbean and Tricia!!!

Much Love,:blowkiss:
Angie, AKA. Illinoismom

I signed. I'm disgusted. What are these prosecutors thinking??? I hope you get justice for you and your kids. My cousin was murdered one year ago tomorrow, all 4 of his killers have been sentenced and are serving long sentences (basically life) except one who got 15 years. So I have a great deal of empathy for you.

illinois mom, I'm so sorry for your and your children's loss. I tried to sign the petition but for some reason my computer isn't cooperating this morning. I will try again later today.

Please keep us posted.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I signed the petition in the hope that SOME justice will be done. However, I sadly believe you should not get your hopes up. Every day we see horrible crime after horrible crime and many times there is NO justice. That is, I believe, the way our country and our entire world is heading. But, dear lady, rest assured there IS justice on the other side of this life. My heart goes out to you and your boys.

I signed. I'm disgusted. What are these prosecutors thinking??? I hope you get justice for you and your kids. My cousin was murdered one year ago tomorrow, all 4 of his killers have been sentenced and are serving long sentences (basically life) except one who got 15 years. So I have a great deal of empathy for you.

Thank you and Im sorry for your loss as well.:blowkiss:

illinois mom, I'm so sorry for your and your children's loss. I tried to sign the petition but for some reason my computer isn't cooperating this morning. I will try again later today.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you!:blowkiss: I will keep you all posted if anything happens before the sentencing date. I have a horrible feeling, for some reason, that the punishment has already been determined. I HOPE Im wrong!:confused:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I signed the petition in the hope that SOME justice will be done. However, I sadly believe you should not get your hopes up. Every day we see horrible crime after horrible crime and many times there is NO justice. That is, I believe, the way our country and our entire world is heading. But, dear lady, rest assured there IS justice on the other side of this life. My heart goes out to you and your boys.

Thank you!:blowkiss: I also believe that his true justice will come much later!!

Illinoismom, I am so sorry for what you and your children have been through. I sincerely hope that he gets the 14 years, although that's not near enough punishment.

Illinoismom, I am so sorry for what you and your children have been through. I sincerely hope that he gets the 14 years, although that's not near enough punishment.

Thank you Tranaice!:blowkiss:

illinois mom, thank you for sharing with us, this horrible crime. I pray that you and your family find strength and forgiveness. I have signed your petition.

illinois mom, I signed your petition. I am praying for you and your boys and that justice is served. Thank you for sharing your story with us and giving us the chance to help. all my best, matilda

I signed also. so sick of hearing people get off with a slap on the wrist. This guy killed his own brother. That's worse than killing a complete stranger. Hope he gets the max. wish the judge could give him more.

God Bless you and your children. I am so sorry this happened to your family. I have signed the petition and will continue to pray for justice!

What a wonderful mother you are! Good for you for teaching your sons to fight for justice!

illinoismom,
I also signed this petition. After reading the news article it is hard to fathom why any plea deal would be offered that would result in a short probationary period! Unfortunately justice is not blind, and freedom from paying for your crimes can be bought! But, like the thers have said, he will pay someday. My prayers and good wishes for you and your sons.

I read your story this morning and wanted to tell you that it touched my heart and I am very sad for you and your boys. To have your loved one taken from you for senseless reasons is unthinkable. I pray that the person responsible for your pain is held 100% accountable and I will sign your petition in hopes that the judge in this case will see that we cannot tolerate things like this anymore. If only 911 would have been called it seems like your loved one might have had a chance.

I will pray for you to have peace because I know that every moment of the day is a battle.

Ell

I signed your petition. Prayers to you and your boys. I cannot imagine losing a parent or a former spouse this way. Your strength is admirable and your boys are very lucky to have you.

illinois mom, thank you for sharing with us, this horrible crime. I pray that you and your family find strength and forgiveness. I have signed your petition.

illinois mom, I signed your petition. I am praying for you and your boys and that justice is served. Thank you for sharing your story with us and giving us the chance to help. all my best, matilda

I signed also. so sick of hearing people get off with a slap on the wrist. This guy killed his own brother. That's worse than killing a complete stranger. Hope he gets the max. wish the judge could give him more.

God Bless you and your children. I am so sorry this happened to your family. I have signed the petition and will continue to pray for justice!

What a wonderful mother you are! Good for you for teaching your sons to fight for justice!

illinoismom,
I also signed this petition. After reading the news article it is hard to fathom why any plea deal would be offered that would result in a short probationary period! Unfortunately justice is not blind, and freedom from paying for your crimes can be bought! But, like the thers have said, he will pay someday. My prayers and good wishes for you and your sons.

I read your story this morning and wanted to tell you that it touched my heart and I am very sad for you and your boys. To have your loved one taken from you for senseless reasons is unthinkable. I pray that the person responsible for your pain is held 100% accountable and I will sign your petition in hopes that the judge in this case will see that we cannot tolerate things like this anymore. If only 911 would have been called it seems like your loved one might have had a chance.

I will pray for you to have peace because I know that every moment of the day is a battle.

Ell

Oh my gosh!!! Thank you to all of you!:blowkiss: My heart is swelling by the moment!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back