613 users online (85 members and 528 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FL - Police investigate 7-year-old's hanging death

Police are investigating the death of a 7-year-old foster care child who reportedly hanged himself Thursday in the bathroom of a Margate home.

Officers received a 911 call of a possible hanging in the 6500 block of Northwest Ninth Street about 1:37 p.m., police spokesman Officer Vonley Williams said.

When officers arrived, they found the boy unresponsive, Williams said. The boy was taken to Northwest Medical Center, where doctors pronounced him dead at 2:45 p.m.

Williams said police were told the boy had hanged himself inside a bathroom.

Investigators have learned that the boy was a foster child and had been in the care of the Margate couple for about three weeks. Williams could not say how long the child was under the care of the state, but said he had moved several times.

''Apparently he's got a long history of being bounced around,'' Williams said.

Williams said police are reaching out to the boy's biological family. His guardian has been notified of the death.

Williams said an autopsy is to be performed to determine exactly how the boy died.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...y/1004367.html

OMG! This is so awful! 7 years old, bless his soul!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Found this

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3540017.story

Boy had troubled background, authorities say

also from that article

Gabriel's birth mother is incarcerated in Ohio, and he went to live with an aunt and uncle in South Florida in June 2008, Mann said. Four months later, he was placed in foster care after his aunt and uncle felt they didn't have the ability to handle his behavioral problems.

The first set of foster parents concluded they couldn't provide the care he needed and he was moved to the Margate home, Mann said.

The incident took place just a few weeks before Gabriel was set to move up to Ohio to live with his paternal grandfather, Mann said. The grandfather just had to finish a parenting class.

God bless his little heart, how could he not have behavioral problems? I wish someone would have stuck it out and let him know that he was loved and wanted instead of just passing him around. I wonder where children that age get the idea of hanging?
    Happy New Years

Bless his heart. Given his age, it was probably an impulsive act. I do not think most 7 year olds grasp the "permanence" of something like this, though I do think they are entirely capable of having "I want to die or be out of here" feelings.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

How sad. It's too bad his grandfather couldn't have taken him at the beginning. The boy was probably medicated at least with the usual ADD medications. I hope that didn't make the problems worse or that he was misdiagnosed and some meds made his behavior even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Bless his heart. Given his age, it was probably an impulsive act. I do not think most 7 year olds grasp the "permanence" of something like this, though I do think they are entirely capable of having "I want to die or be out of here" feelings.
    I agree. Poor little fellow. Sounds like he was born into a miserable situation that didn't ever get much better. I had a distant eight year old cousin that they found in an old refrigerator. They called it an accident but most family members felt it was suicide; his parents continually abused him. Sometimes they just run out of hope.

He didn't mean to kill himself but to do something dramatic to get his "way". If he was that determined at age seven, imagine how determined, and deadly, he would be as he got older . He had no idea at age seven of the consequences of his behavior. Only a miserable life beyond our comprehension would drive a child to decide to risk his life over a disagreement over his lunch.

I want to see the 911 call and I want to know if they had him on any pysch meds. Seven year olds don't commit suicide. They just don't. I realize this child was probably wise for his age, but I don't believe for a minute he committed suicide. And hung himself, no less. I don't think so.

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    I want to see the 911 call and I want to know if they had him on any pysch meds. Seven year olds don't commit suicide. They just don't. I realize this child was probably wise for his age, but I don't believe for a minute he committed suicide. And hung himself, no less. I don't think so.

Salem

I hate to be suspicious of anyone but this doesn't make sense to me either. How would this boy have thought of using the shower hose to hang himself?
    I wouldn't think a seven yr old would be allowed to watch movies with hanging in them. He is just a little guy. But then who knows what he watched when he was with his mom. I can see him grabbing a knife and cutting himself but hanging? That's an adult thing. I hope LE really checks this out.

He hadn't really been passed around that much. This was only his second foster home and then he was going to go live with grandpa. I would think he would be excited about living with his grandpa. Maybe he did hang himself but it just doesn't fit in my opinion.

Broward foster child, age 7, hangs himself after tantrum
    Depressed and filled with rage, a 7-year-old Broward foster child hanged himself Thursday. Authorities are searching for answers.
    BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
    cmarbin@MiamiHerald.com

By the age of 7, Gabriel Myers had lost his mother to the ravages of drug addiction and incarceration, had been shuttled between an uncle and two foster homes, and had been in limbo for months as child welfare administrators in two states sought to reunite him with a grandfather.

His sad odyssey ended Thursday after he locked himself in the bathroom of a Margate foster home, announced his intention to kill himself and then hanged himself before the 19-year-old son of his foster father broke down the door. Child welfare administrators say Gabriel used the cord of a detachable shower head.

Administrators of the Department of Children & Families, which had custody of the youngster since June 2008, say they are investigating Gabriel's death. Representatives of several agencies and service providers met late Friday to begin gathering records and looking for answers.

''It's tragic every time a child dies, but it's particularly difficult when you have a 7-year-old whose life ended so tragically,'' said Jack Moss, who heads DCF's Broward operations.

(snipped)

CRISIS INTERVENTION

As recently as last month, a mobile crisis intervention team was dispatched to the foster home to decide whether the boy should be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital for treatment, Moss said. The team decided the boy did not meet criteria for commitment.

On Thursday, Moss said, Gabriel stayed home sick from school. Both foster parents went to work, and the youngster was left in the care of the father's 19-year-old son. At lunchtime, the boy became upset over a bowl of soup the teenager prepared for him and had a tantrum.

Gabriel stormed into the bathroom, announced his intention to kill himself, and locked the door, Moss said. The teenager called the foster mother for advice and was told to break the door down.

But by the time the young man got into the bathroom, Gabriel already was in distress. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/sout...y/1005550.html

IMHO, DCF needs to explain why they decided he didn't need psychiatric treatment.

SO, SO SAD! We as a nation are failing our children. RIP Little Lost Boy! God bless you.

JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS

It concerns me that he was left at home with a nineteen year old. I'm not saying this young man had anything to do with his death. I just don't feel that a nineteen year old is prepared or experienced enough to deal with a child with these problems.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast