Thread: Melissa Huckaby.. Death Penalty??

Melissa Huckaby.. Death Penalty??

I am a newbie starting a new thread. Sorry if I did this wrong!

reference to the state of California's Death Penalty...

http://cbs5.com/deathrow/death.row.c....2.760653.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snapdragon For This Useful Post:

It appears fine to me!

I believe the charges when proven are sufficient to receive the DP in this case. The crimes are heinous and the punishment should be to the fullest extent the law will allow.

Now, ask me if I think she will ever receive the DP...

Probably not. I would say LWOP is the best we can really hope for at the end of this.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm with you, SS. If convicted, she'll get LWOP. There will be established circumstances wrt mental illness that will mitigate any death penalty. I doubt they even go after it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:

I am for the death penalty, like me or not..........some people can NEVER be in society again.........this is one.
    MH is as sane as us, she knew right from wrong...........
    I am sick of housing monsters like Scott P, KC, OJ, Manson for all their lives while we build more and bigger prisons to give them private rooms! IMO
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Even if she gets DP and never is executed, being on death row, she is banned from conjugal visits. That alone is reason to seek DP. There are more restrictions as well, but I am not sure what they are...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snapdragon For This Useful Post:

Hm...in actual practice, LWOP might as well be a death sentence. To help things along, we could hire the correctional officers who were "in the bathroom" on the day Jeffrey Dahmer was killed.

Okay, so they've retired. We could hire them to upgrade the skills of Sandra's murderer's guards. Bet it would be a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by lngrid; 04-19-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Typos, typos, typos.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lngrid For This Useful Post:

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by lngrid View Post
    Hm...in actual practice, LWOP might as well be a death sentence. To help things along, we could hire the correctional officers who were "in the bathroom" on the day Jeffrey Dahmer was killed.

Okay, so they've retired. We could hire them to upgrade the skills of Sandra's murderer's guards. Bet it would be a lot cheaper.

OT- but do you know they retired? I went to HS with one (but don't remember him, just the name ) and he graduated in the 80's. Maybe they've put in their 20 years to be vested....

For some reason I'm not seeing that the DP will be put on the table. Not that I don't think she deserves it, I'm just not seeing it. I see LWOP possibly. Just my humble opinion and my two cents.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

It's too late for that woman to get help, be rehabilitated and be put back into society. It should have happened a long time ago. I think she should have been paid more attention when she was growing up, but as she wasn't, she's an adult, she should have sought help for herself when she realized she needed it. Lots of people have done it and overcome whatever it was that messed them up. She herself could have put a stop to that and sought help. She's not a victim. She's not a child anymore. She's responsible for her own actions now. And should face the consequences, whatever they may be.
    I think death sentence will be spending too much money.
    But at the end of the day it's up to the jury and judge.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayfairlight For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfairlight View Post
    It's too late for that woman to get help, be rehabilitated and be put back into society. It should have happened a long time ago. I think she should have been paid more attention when she was growing up, but as she wasn't, she's an adult, she should have sought help for herself when she realized she needed it. Lots of people have done it and overcome whatever it was that messed them up. She herself could have put a stop to that and sought help. She's not a victim. She's not a child anymore. She's responsible for her own actions now. And should face the consequences, whatever they may be.
    I think death sentence will be spending too much money.
    But at the end of the day it's up to the jury and judge.
    Well said myfairlight. A quote comes to mind:

"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I Cor. xiii. 11.

Many of us are victims during childhood, but once we become adults we can look back and see the injustice and harm done to us and choose not to perpetuate the hurt, harm and despair of heart and soul that comes with that abuse in childhood. We chose to instead to protect, comfort and love.

If she was abused as a child, she chose to hurt and to harm. It was not out of her control.

Just my two cents for today.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

DP is very rarely executed(pun intended) here in CA.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Schmerty_Jones is offline ________________ Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    DP is very rarely executed(pun intended) here in CA.
    That is true. Many debate the cost of prosecuting for the death penalty & carrying it out versus the cost of LWOP. Frankly the people who can never be returned to society should be removed permanently by death.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schmerty_Jones For This Useful Post:

Question

Why do we try people for murder and give them the death penalty....but keep them on suicide watch in the meantime? (Thinking it is a waste. A huge waste. hehehe)
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schmerty_Jones View Post
    That is true. Many debate the cost of prosecuting for the death penalty & carrying it out versus the cost of LWOP. Frankly the people who can never be returned to society should be removed permanently by death.
    Hi Schmert.I have to preface this with the fact that I am opposed to the DP in general.
    I understand why people think the DP is fitting in many cases, but the fact is a possible DP sentence will effectively be LWOP here in CA because our DP program is badly broken, expensive and inefficient.
    We are in an extreme financial crisis here in CA and to waste extraordinary amounts of money on something that will most likely never come to pass doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
    Even if she gets DP and never is executed, being on death row, she is banned from conjugal visits. That alone is reason to seek DP. There are more restrictions as well, but I am not sure what they are...

. . . recreation for 1 hour a day in a cage, for starters . . .

PS: I think those in San Quentin's DR are allowed CV's. Hmmm, I better
    Google that

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    Why do we try people for murder and give them the death penalty....but keep them on suicide watch in the meantime? (Thinking it is a waste. A huge waste. hehehe)
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but I've wondered about that more than once, and the only thing that I can come up with is that it is about taking away the criminal's control of their life. Saying to them, "You don't get to decide when you are going to die, we do."

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post:

...or give them any other medical care than pallitive (think Hospice) care? I mean, they're on Death Row, right?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lngrid For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Pass the duct tape for that mind bender lol... but very good points... just a viscious circle, isn't it?
    This bee my opinion

32. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    Pass the duct tape for that mind bender lol... but very good points... just a viscious circle, isn't it?
    When you're done with that duct tape, I could use some over here please...

Since that church in Washington is being searched, I'm wondering if MH gave up Pastor Lawless to LE to avoid the death penalty, is that a possibility?
    Last edited by daisy.faithfull; 04-28-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added smiley

34. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schmerty_Jones View Post
    Totally agree. We all know in CA at present she will never actually be put to death. However, there are certain rules for those on death row. One is that she will never get conjugal visits. You would be surprised what kind of psychos are out there that will mail these sickos to "hook up".

But in CA, I think on death row they also are in solitary. Not sure if they get yard time together or not. At least she wouldn't be hooking up with some new girlfriend or something. And if we get a new gov. like brown who is tough on crime, who knows if they will start the death juice flowing again.

I am for DP in this case for these reasons.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to snapdragon For This Useful Post:

Peterson's gets yard time with others

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
    Totally agree. We all know in CA at present she will never actually be put to death. However, there are certain rules for those on death row. One is that she will never get conjugal visits. You would be surprised what kind of psychos are out there that will mail these sickos to "hook up".

But in CA, I think on death row they also are in solitary. Not sure if they get yard time together or not. At least she wouldn't be hooking up with some new girlfriend or something. And if we get a new gov. like brown who is tough on crime, who knows if they will start the death juice flowing again.

I am for DP in this case for these reasons.
    Its been reported by Peterson's mom that Scott has yard time and doesn't have any problems with fellow inmates. I guess they were concerned about that because he killed Connor and convicts don't like that kinda thing.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post:

Exactly! I've wondered this, too. Or, even if they haven't been tried and it's pretty obvious they're guilty? It would save the tax payers some $$$.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric's_Iguana For This Useful Post:

~ Respectfully bolded ~
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy.faithfull View Post
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but I've wondered about that more than once, and the only thing that I can come up with is that it is about taking away the criminal's control of their life. Saying to them, "You don't get to decide when you are going to die, we do."
    And to me this is the crux of the problem with the death penalty. This is my own personal issue - but I will never sit on a DP case, because personally I don't feel I have or should have the power to decide when someone dies. I don't ever, ever want to be in such a position. Its bad enough when I have to step on a spider

Why don't we just let them commit suicide if they want to? Let them decide? If they feel they are broken and can't be fixed or they are truely remorseful for their crimes, why not let them do what they feel they need to? NOW - I would hate to see this happen BEFORE the trial and proof/conviction of the crime, because some folks might commit suicide out of depression and horror at just being charged with a brutal crime, even though they did NOT commit the actual crime. But, if they did do the crime, I see no reason to protect them, either from themselves or others, actually. Put them in GP and let them either learn to live with what they have done or take the easy way out. Their CHOICE, not mine and not the choice of innocent jurors/judges. It may be an easy way out for them, but honestly do we care? I don't. If they commit the type of crimes that invoke the DP in the first place, then I don't care if they take the easy way out as long as they are off the street, out of the community and can no longer commit such crimes against other innocent victims.

Salem
    Last edited by Salem; 04-28-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: finish thought

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    ~ Respectfully bolded ~
    And to me this is the crux of the problem with the death penalty. This is my own personal issue - but I will never sit on a DP case, because personally I don't feel I have or should have the power to decide when someone dies. I don't ever, ever want to be in such a position. Its bad enough when I have to step on a spider
    I feel the same way. Please don't stone me for this, but while I believe that MH deserves the death penalty, I wouldn't be able to vote for her to receive that sentence were I a jury member for her trial. I don't know what I would do if I were a member of the legislature or a governor faced with death penalty issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Why don't we just let them commit suicide if they want to? Let them decide? If they feel they are broken and can't be fixed or they are truely remorseful for their crimes, why not let them do what they feel they need to? NOW - I would hate to see this happen BEFORE the trial and proof/conviction of the crime, because some folks might commit suicide out of depression and horror at just being charged with a brutal crime, even though they did NOT commit the actual crime. But, if they did do the crime, I see no reason to protect them, either from themselves or others, actually. Put them in GP and let them either learn to live with what they have done or take the easy way out. Their CHOICE, not mine and not the choice of innocent jurors/judges. It may be an easy way out for them, but honestly do we care? I don't. If they commit the type of crimes that invoke the DP in the first place, then I don't care if they take the easy way out as long as they are off the street, out of the community and can no longer commit such crimes against other innocent victims. Salem
    After I wrote my last post I was wondering if another reason why these criminals are not allowed to do what they will may be that because they are in the state's care. If something happens to them, even if they are the worst scum of the universe, the state can be held liable for any harm done to the scum. If this is the case, it pisses me off beyond belief that this is one more time that criminals seem to have more rights than the victims.

These scumbags aren't JUST scumbags, they are spineless, self-preserving, manipulative, lying Kings and Queens of scumbags. So if we did give them the means to do themselves in would they have the b@lls to do it? And would the "we'll give you a gun" sentence avoid the never ending and costly search for a loophole or a more sympathetic jury? I dunno, because there are so many aspects of our criminal justice system that make no sense to me, especially the stuff that protects scumbags at the expense of present and future victims.

I found an article about the last execution in my state. The man was sentenced to death for the crime, but thirteen years later he began requesting to have the sentence carried out. His biggest barrier to making this happen centered around his competentcy to make such a decision. He reportedly said at one point, "An eye for an eye... I mean, I ended a whole bunch of innocent people's lives and changed their lives forever. Even though they're still alive, their lives are destroyed. I owe that to them. I owe it to myself, man. I was totally wrong." How good of him to have this revelation, if he would of had it 20 years earlier is maybe all those people wouldn't have been harmed by his warped mine. If that wasn't a possibility he could have saved us a lot of time and money by doing himself in before LE got to him. But I'd bet his remorse began only when his wrists were cuffed.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post: