Huckaby told friends she was raped by a cop

there are lots of details in this article, none of which seem to correlate with any significance:

At age 18, her heart was broken.
She didn't make the dance team.
Her best friend went to college.
She didn't get along with her family.

This is not a "downward spiral" - these are normal (if uncomfortable) events in the life of many, many (perhaps most) 18 year olds!

What does this have to do with her telling her friends she was raped? Did her "downward spiral" cause her to be raped? Did the rape cause all these bad things to happen - things that (with different details) nearly all teenagers deal with, often at the same time and often at the end of high school?

I don't see the correlation here, but maybe I'm missing something...

I don't doubt the statements of these friends, but the rape incident seems to need some formal verification - like a name or a location or any other definitive detail. If it was a police officer, MH ought to be able to offer a name, description or something probative in order for LE to follow up. Even so, being raped doesn't automatically make someone kill, so what purpose does this info serve and who does it benefit? This is so vague one has to wonder who assumes benefit from this rumor.

The fact that each of these witnesses were told separately or don't know each other doesn't seem relevant. I don't doubt their truthfulness - I doubt the relevance/veracity of what they may have been told. This needs verification, that's all. MH can provide that (my guess is she won't ID the officer, but I could be wrong).

Being raped I would imagine would be a very traumatic ordeal with long lasting complications. I don't think the rape itself had any direct bearings on Melissa's alleged actions but it might have been part of the her psychological make up at the time. Depression, failed relationships, a failed marriage, being in trouble with the law and being an out of work single mother all have their parts in that "make up" as well.

The fact that she allegedly used to cut herself tells me she was definately dealing with some painful personal issues. I've read that cutting is a way some people try to cope with the pain of strong emotions, intense pressure, or upsetting relationship problems. They may be dealing with feelings that seem too difficult to bear, or bad situations they think can't change. And cutting is more common than most people think.

Of course none of this means she is prone to torture, rape and murder another human being. A lot of people today suffer the same afflictions and cope with it.

im sorry...i still have no pity..true or not... we have all had some type of "trauma" in our lives at one point and time... doesnt give anyone a green light to rape and murder and dispose of an innocent little girl the way sandra was.:eek:

Allegedly. If it turns out she is innocent will be have pity then?

I know what I'm about to say will make me very unpopular here, but I feel I need to express it anyway. And please read this entire post, if you read it at all--before you write me off.

I do have some compassion for Melissa Huckaby. I think she is a very deeply troubled and lost soul. Though I believe she was most likely abused in one or more fashions during her youth, it really doesn't matter if she wasn't because either way, she's clearly messed up. If she didn't suffer any "real" trauma, than she likely has a genetic chemical imbalance. I mean--no one chooses to be depressed or mentally unstable. When I saw her sob in the courtroom, I felt that a life time of pain was surfacing, and I do believe she is remorseful for what she did.

Now, having said that--I do not in any way mean to suggest that she is excused. She committed heinous crimes, for which she should be punished. But, in my opinion, unlike Casey Anthony, I do think she deserves some psyche help when she's in prison. I think CA is beyond help or redemption, but I think MH still has a soul that can be saved. (I'm not Christian per se, but I do believe in many of the tenets of the religion.)

My compassion toward MH does not preclude my anger toward her. I feel both, with equal amounts of pain in my heart. As this case runs its course, information may come out to make me change my mind about her, but from what we know at this point, these are my feelings.

Thank you for reading.

There is nothing wrong with showing compassion for those who are suffering. Especially for those whom you may despise. It is the mark of a very wise and advanced soul.

Luke 6:35 "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

There is nothing wrong with showing compassion for those who are suffering. Especially for those whom you may despise. It is the mark of a very wise and advanced soul.

Luke 6:35 "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Thank you for quoting this verse. I myself have struggled with feeling of feeling compassion for those who have done wrong, as well as anger to what they have done...it is a very strange mix of emotions...

Please understand that I don't think MH should be "pampered" either. I think she should be punished to the full extent of the law. I just think that she still has some humanity. I distinguish her from the likes of Casey Anthony who shows absolutely no remorse or human emotion. I don't think anything in MH's past, or the state of her mental health, should soften her sentence, but I do hope that she finds some spiritual peace while she spends her life paying for her crimes--that she is released from some of what has tormented her while she comes to terms with the horror she has cast.

People with Borderline Personality Disorder are usually the cutters. It is often a release of their pain to cut. Some say that it feels good and they know when they cut that they are still alive. Basically it is a release of some type for a cutter.

I have no doubt that Melissa has some deep seated problems or she couldn't have done what she did. I can also feel sad that she didn't receive help when she really needed it when she was still in school or right afterward. Regardless, it doesn't change what she did. I want to know WHY she did it.

She very well could have been raped by a cop when she was 18 yrs. There are many people who were raped and never turned the rapist in but just tried to live with it. I get the feeling that some of the things Melissa did were a cry for help but no one seemed to catch on which is to bad.

Please understand that I don't think MH should be "pampered" either. I think she should be punished to the full extent of the law. I just think that she still has some humanity. I distinguish her from the likes of Casey Anthony who shows absolutely no remorse or human emotion. I don't think anything in MH's past, or the state of her mental health, should soften her sentence, but I do hope that she finds some spiritual peace while she spends her life paying for her crimes--that she is released from some of what has tormented her while she comes to terms with the horror she has cast.

At least in theory, she will get help in prison. She'll get stability, medication and psychiatric help.

well usually everyone is a suspect until the police have some type of solid evidence to charge that individual for the crimes allegedly commited... she either confessed, or there is significant evidence..and to add a rape with a foreign object??? nope...no pity here...sorry

I like to think of myself as an old and advanced soul. The bigger picture that we don’t all agree on…I too can agree with compassion and forgiveness, but I’m just not there yet. I know that my vision of a precious child Sandra was happily playing and not bothering anyone; doing what a child is suppose to do…and then came a monster. Sorry, but I’m not there yet…if ever. Thankfully, it really doesn’t matter how I feel, as long as justice is served for Sandra.

I know what I'm about to say will make me very unpopular here, but I feel I need to express it anyway. And please read this entire post, if you read it at all--before you write me off.

I do have some compassion for Melissa Huckaby. I think she is a very deeply troubled and lost soul. Though I believe she was most likely abused in one or more fashions during her youth, it really doesn't matter if she wasn't because either way, she's clearly messed up. If she didn't suffer any "real" trauma, than she likely has a genetic chemical imbalance. I mean--no one chooses to be depressed or mentally unstable. When I saw her sob in the courtroom, I felt that a life time of pain was surfacing, and I do believe she is remorseful for what she did.

Now, having said that--I do not in any way mean to suggest that she is excused. She committed heinous crimes, for which she should be punished. But, in my opinion, unlike Casey Anthony, I do think she deserves some psyche help when she's in prison. I think CA is beyond help or redemption, but I think MH still has a soul that can be saved. (I'm not Christian per se, but I do believe in many of the tenets of the religion.)

My compassion toward MH does not preclude my anger toward her. I feel both, with equal amounts of pain in my heart. As this case runs its course, information may come out to make me change my mind about her, but from what we know at this point, these are my feelings.

Thank you for reading.
I have bolded your post, that I do not understand. I would put MH and CA in the same hellhole. You are entitled to your thoughts and no problem that you have posted them. But, how can you possibly think that MH should get help, but not CA? Because MH was crying? I think she was crying for herself. I think we may hear of intents and other times that she has harmed Sandra and others.

I have bolded your post, that I do not understand. I would put MH and CA in the same hellhole. You are entitled to your thoughts and no problem that you have posted them. But, how can you possibly think that MH should get help, but not CA? Because MH was crying? I think she was crying for herself. I think we may hear of intents and other times that she has harmed Sandra and others.

I am stating feelings, not facts. Feelings can not always be defended in a rational way. I interpreted MH's tears as sincere, and loaded with existential pain (maybe I'm seeing truth, maybe it's PMS--who knows--they're simply "feelings"). In contrast, CA has barely squeezed out a tear, and her attempts at conveying any emotion other than self-righteousness, seem very contrived to me. Again, these are not provable facts--they are admittedly, just my subjective "feelings".

Her statement may be a half truth.............just the rape.........
maybe molested/raped and easier to blame an enemy (cop now)
than a family or friend level.............

well usually everyone is a suspect until the police have some type of solid evidence to charge that individual for the crimes allegedly commited... she either confessed, or there is significant evidence..and to add a rape with a foreign object??? nope...no pity here...sorry

We haven't been privy to the meat of the evidence yet and even then it is not infallible.

Here are some excerps from The Innocence Project on the subject of wrongful convictions:

"...Huff, Rattner, and Sagarin, authors of the 1995 book "Convicted but Innocent", spent more than a decade studying the persistence of wrongful convictions, gathering evidence and assessments from police administrators, sheriffs, prosecutors, public defenders, and judges. The three scholars concluded that about 0.5 percent of persons convicted of felonies are estimated to be innocent of the crimes convicted of. This rate amounted to 10,000 innocents per year in 1995 when there were only one million people behind bars

But DNA has blown the lid off of even the extravagant assessment of Huff, Rattner, and Sagarin. DNA analysis has suggested that all of the experts-wise judges like Learned Hand, dedicated police officers, liberal academics, and hard-working lawyers on both sides of the bar-have all underestimated the rate of wrongful conviction. Last year’s best-seller "Actual Innocence" by Barry Scheck, Peter Neufeld and Jim Dwyer suggested the true rate of wrongful convictions may be closer to ten percent than to one-half of one percent. DNA tests used before trial have exonerated at least 5000 prime suspects out of the first 18,000 DNA suspect samples at the FBI and other crime labs-suggesting a pre-trial error rate of more than 25 percent. Since 1977, some 553 people have been executed in the United States while another eighty death row inmates have been released after they were found innocent. For every seven executed, one innocent person is freed-an “error rate” of more than twelve (12) percent. In the State of Illinois, 12 people have been executed since 1977 while 13 have been released after proving their innocence-an error rate of 52 percent. Last year the Governor of Illinois-who supports the death penalty-finally called a moratorium on the use of the death penalty until all of the quirks in the process are ironed out. ..."

-Roger Roots
Providence, Rhode Island

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah