GUILTY TX - Five kids drown as drunk man drives into high water, Houston, 19 April 2009

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517075,00.html
HOUSTON — Five Houston children were feared dead after the car they were riding in was swept away by high water Saturday evening, a fire official said.

Rescue workers found the car about 7:30 p.m., about 100 feet from where the driver lost control 2 1/2 hours earlier, Houston Fire Assistant Chief Omero Longoria told the Houston Chronicle for its online edition.

The car came to rest in a drainage ditch filled with about 9 feet of water. Two men and a 10-year-old girl managed to escape the car, but a strong storm current initially prevented rescuers from getting to it, Longoria

What is wrong with people we have had alot of rain and it floods easily in the houston area. Why did they try to drive through this??

oh it gets better the driver lost control while answering a cell phone. GRRRR!
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6768471
There were eight people in the car when it fell into the creek off of Greens Road just south of Bush Intercontinental Airport. Police now say the passenger tells them the driver lost control while answering his cell phone
At the scene, police say the driver showed signs of intoxication and failed a field sobriety test. He was taken into custody to get a blood sample, but has not been charged with a crime.
The children were a 1-year-old girl, a 3-year-old girl and three boys age 4, 6 and 7, according to police. Authorities say some are related, but it's unclear what their relationships are. Their identities have not been released.

This guy is going to spend a lot of time in jail!!

[B said:
snipped[/B]

This guy is going to spend a lot of time in jail!!

I hope so, but he should be punished more than that. What those poor babies must have gone through. I wonder if any of the "men" even tried to help them out of the car?

How on earth do you fit 8 people in a Lincoln Continental? At least 3 of those children should have been in car seats or boosters. Of course, if your value system allows you to drive drunk with your 6 children in the car, I suppose craming 6 children & 2 adults in a car meant for 5 or 6 is nothing to you. I feel terrible for those babies.
CNN said the uncle of the children rescued a 10 year old girl from the car.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/090418_kids_missing_houston_flood
The driver, identified as Chanton Jenkins, is expected to be charged with at least one count of intoxication manslaughter after failing a sobriety test says Houston Police Department Spokesperson Kese Smith

Smith says that an HPD dive team assisted in pulling the vehicle from the bayou last night. Inside the vehicle were the bodies of three male children; a 4-year old, 7-year old and 11-year old, says Smith.

I'm sure hoping they increase it to 5 accounts of intoxication manslaughter!
The 1 yr old, and 3 yr old have not been found. They think the water swept them away. That makes me think neither one was in a car seat.
In my opinion the passenger should be charged with at least 6 counts of child endangerment. For letting his brother drive drunk with 6 kids in the car!!

How on earth do you fit 8 people in a Lincoln Continental? At least 3 of those children should have been in car seats or boosters. Of course, if your value system allows you to drive drunk with your 6 children in the car, I suppose craming 6 children & 2 adults in a car meant for 5 or 6 is nothing to you. I feel terrible for those babies.
CNN said the uncle of the children rescued a 10 year old girl from the car.

This is going to sound bad, but when I first read the article and it stated 8 people in a car. The first thought throught my mind was illegals, which turns out they were not. In our area it's not unusual to see people pile out of cars like a cirus clown car.

I'm praying for this family. I hope they get help for the 10 yr old. Three of the other children were her siblings, and the other two are cousins.

I read this story last night and just now came across it here. When I read it last night there were few details.

Two years ago or so, we had a drought breaker here in Central Texas. No less than 7 ppl were drowned by driving during the deluge. O/T but locally a woman drove her SUV across the road that went above a creek. The creek had submerged the road, yet she chose to drive through and her SUV was swept away with two of her children while she scrambled to safety. I have to be honest, I have a hard time being sympathic to that woman. It's a fault of mine, I have yet to overcome.

Now for this particular incident, I'm left shaking my head again, two men and one child were able to get to safety and five were left to succumb. How do you make that choice? As an adult (or parent) how do you choose to save yourself before you save your child? I know myself very well, and given previous experiences of me and my children threatened with potential harm or death, if it had been me~ I would be one of the deceased too.

Bless the hearts of those children and their families. I hope that the other two children are located soon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8463055

Monday April 20 2009

A body believed to be that of a 1-year-old girl swept away from the car was found Sunday.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6769764

April 20, 2009 | 8:28 AM

...Divers and Texas Equusearch spent Sunday recovering the bodies of four of the children, but a fifth child, four-year-old Hallie Jenkins, is still missing. Recovery teams will resume their search at 8am and will search deeper waters by boat today...

Video coverage at second link.

I'm :furious:

God bless those poor babies, they must have been so scared. I hope that gets a real sentence and not some slap on the wrist.

texas equisearch is searching for the last child in the bayou. they also helped in the search over the weekend. Go Tim & company!!

The car was a lincoln LS sports sedan. I have one this car is a five seater. the back is not even big enough for three kids car seats. these kids must have been piled on top of each other.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6771774

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 | 7:11 AM

Texas Equusearch volunteers will re-launch their boats today to try to find the one missing victim of the crash. They believe 4 year old body was carried downstream after she drowned on Saturday.

Along with Hallie, killed in the accident were Dreton Thompson, 11, and his brother, Malik Barlow, 7; Devin Jenkins, 4; and Karrinton Jenkins, 1.

Tim and his volunteers will bring you home soon Hallie~ look at this face :(

Attachments

• hallie.jpg
    hallie.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 15
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6383423.html

April 21, 2009, 2:12PM

Searchers early this afternoon found what appears to be the body of Hallie Jenkins, the 4-year-old girl who has been missing since her father's car plunged into a north Houston drainage ditch on Saturday, killing her and four other children, Houston police said.

The discovery was reported around 1:30 p.m. today along Greens Bayou near Beltway 8.

None of the children in the car was buckled in, according to prosecutors.

Child Protective Services caseworkers will investigate the deaths of all five children, as well as the home life of Barnes, the only surviving child, who is recovering from minor scrapes and bruises

Jenkins told the judge in court Monday that he would hire his own attorney. He could face 80 years in prison if convicted on all charges. Each carries a two- to 20-year sentence and a fine of up to $10,000.

Man Pleads Guilty To 5 Kids' Deaths

Chanton Jenkins Admits To Being Drunk During Crash
POSTED: Monday, May 3, 2010
UPDATED: 10:34 am CDT May 3, 2010

23433164_640X360.jpg

Chanton Jenkins

HOUSTON -- A man has pleaded guilty in a car crash that killed five children, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.

Chanton Jenkins pleaded guilty to five counts of intoxication manslaughter.

Houston police said Jenkins was drunk when his car careened off Greens Road into a rain-swollen ditch on April 18, 2009. Prosecutors said he failed field sobriety tests and his breath tests showed levels of 0.079 and 0.082 more than two hours after the crash. He may also have been under the influence of narcotics, officials said.

The crash killed three of Jenkins' children: Carrington Jenkins, 1, Hallie Jenkins, 4, and Devin Jenkins, 4. Malik Barlow, 7, and his brother, Dreton Thompson, 11, also died.

None of the children was wearing a seat belt, police said.

Jenkins, his brother and an 11-year-old girl escaped from the wreckage.

Jenkins will be sentenced in a few months. He faces up to life in prison for each count.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/23433047/detail.html#

From August 2010:

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/080610/tex_691484571.shtml#.VjPDjLT8FWY

A Houston father was sentenced Thursday to 30 years in prison for the drunken driving deaths of five children, including three of his own, who drowned after he lost control of his car and veered into a rain-swollen ditch...

Keel sentenced Jenkins to 30 years for each of the counts, which he will serve concurrently. He will be eligible for parole in 15 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back