1306 users online (170 members and 1136 guests)  

Websleuths News

India - Slumdog Millionaire Kid Star Reportedly Put Up for Sale by Father

In an attempt to escape the real-life slums of Mumbai, the father of Slumdog Millionaire sweetie Rubina Ali is reportedly trying to illegally sell his 9-year-old daughter for about $300,000.
    Rafiq Qureshi unknowingly spoke to the British tabloid News of the World and offered several shocking allegations as to why cashing in on his daughter's fame is acceptable

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b119...ar_put_up.html

Father of 'Slumdog Millionaire' star Rubina Ali tries to sell his daughter!

According to News of the World, the father offered the shocking deal to an undercover fake sheik this week, explaining, "I have to consider what's best for me, my family and Rubina's future."
    As he tried to arrange the illegal adoption deal, her real-life slum dweller dad also slammed the filmmakers, "We've got nothing out of this film."

I put this in the crimes section because if true, it would be an illegal adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I put this in the crimes section because if true, it would be an illegal adoption.
    Or even Human Trafficking.

(The 'Googled' definition: A criminal activity in which a person is recruited, harbored, transported, bought / sold, or kidnapped to
    serve an exploitative purpose, such as sexual, forced labor or servitude).
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

Is this the same father that beat one of the kids and demanded money for the family from the producers? The father was upset because the producers had made sure that the children's money was protected from the families looting it, I think...

Here it is... the story is heartbreaking, but please be warned that the pictures show the child in pain and crying from being beat by his father. The father wanted more out of the child, money wise, when the producers had already started giving them loads of stuff... but the producers were trying to do right by the child about the money. It's horrible that these parents would see their children for only one thing: to get money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-father.html#

This is why we have laws on child labor. I believe the producers did the right thing by putting most of the money away for the kids. To beat your child... to try to sell your child... all these parents think about is the money that they could have and not the child's welfare.
    Last edited by MagicRose99; 04-20-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

I'm sure the producers thought they were doing something admirable by setting aside money for these children. What a shame. I wish someone would legally adopt both of them and given them a good, loving home. If I had the money to raise two more kids I would take them in a heartbeat.

What barbaric parents.

http://www.people.com/people/article...ines-yahoobuzz From this article they say it isn't true. . reference to the News of the World story, which has been picked up around the world, an angry Meena told PEOPLE: "We are poor, yes, but not so poor that we have to sell our children. The whole thing is a lie."

Rubina backed up her father's statement, calling the News of the World report untrue. "I trust my father. He loves me. He has never said that he wants to give me up," she said. "I did meet an uncle and auntie in a big hotel but it was not about adoption. I will never give any foreign journalist an interview again

Word is that Indian officials are probing this and the father has been arrested! His ex wife filed a complaint... seems an older child confirms that the father was trying to broker the younger child star out to a Dubai sheikh! Officials are trying to get their hands on the recordings where the father incriminates himself.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fa...rested/449467/

Ahhh, arent' third world countries fun??? How sad. I refused to see that movie for that very reason - glorifying poverty etc. I just won't do it.

don't miss the video

http://www.tmz.com/2009/04/21/slumdo...er-of-a-fight/

'Slumdog' Brawl -- One Mother of a Fight
    Posted Apr 21st 2009 9:20AM
    The mother and step mother of Rubina Ali -- the little girl featured in "Slumdog Millionaire" -- went toe-to-toe yesterday in the streets of Mumbai, amid reports Rubina's father was angling to in by selling the child.