1324 users online (300 members and 1024 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,073

    Man can't get stranger off his property

    This is unbelievable to me. I saw this on the TV news but can't find the video of the LE backing the woman and saying there is nothing they can do. I can't find the video but found the article. Anyone should be able to say who can stay on their property. Apparently the stepson let this woman stay there and now the stepson is in jail and the woman refuses to move.

    http://www.kxly.com/global/story.asp?s=10205456

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,372
    These people need an attorney - fast.

    Does this mean if you invite me to stay overnight at your house that I can invite a friend who doesn't have to leave? This logic is ridiculous!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    I saw this video too. Unbelievable. She's living there rent free, doesn't pay any utilities, nothing. It had to laugh when the homeowner said she looked like a hooker.

    I think the couple has sought the advice of an attorney and there's nothing legal that they can do.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    That is ridiculous. I think I would start by having all the utilities out there cut. Then I'd play my Barry Manilow CD really loud, day and night. And I would get up very early to do yard work. Maybe eventually she'd leave.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    That is ridiculous. I think I would start by having all the utilities out there cut. Then I'd play my Barry Manilow CD really loud, day and night. And I would get up very early to do yard work. Maybe eventually she'd leave.

    I like your style! I would definitely try to irritate them away! Such a strange strange story - anyone remember that movie, Pacific Heights about the renter from hell?
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I like your style! I would definitely try to irritate them away! Such a strange strange story - anyone remember that movie, Pacific Heights about the renter from hell?
    Yes! I loved that movie. Thank you for reminding me of it. Wasn't it Michael Keaton that played the renter?

    There's a comedy along with same lines with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. I can't remember the name of it though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Yes! I loved that movie. Thank you for reminding me of it. Wasn't it Michael Keaton that played the renter?

    There's a comedy along with same lines with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. I can't remember the name of it though.
    Was the movie called "Duplex"? I think I saw that one night on the comedy channel- it was good.

    Wow! I'd never thought there could be serious ramifications to letting my kids have guests over! Never again!

    I have to agree with Mr. E. I'd do whatever it took to force this person to move out.

  8. #8
    2 years or so ago, I came home from work seeing firemen throwing burnt mattresses out of my neighbors windows. It was winter and very cold outside. I considered long and hard inviting my neighbors in, getting pizza for dinner, and inviting then to spend a day or two with us until they found a place. I have to add that I had 1 or 2 little babies in the house and the house next door was essentially a frat house (alcohol bottles always all over the yard, loud music all night long, cigarette butts, bottle rockets, etc). It was no surprise that they caught their house on fire. Still, who wants to be stuck out in the cold without a place to sleep. I talked to my parents and the real deciding factor was that if I invited them in, they didn't have to leave and I could be in a situation where I legally couldn't get rid of them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    2 years or so ago, I came home from work seeing firemen throwing burnt mattresses out of my neighbors windows. It was winter and very cold outside. I considered long and hard inviting my neighbors in, getting pizza for dinner, and inviting then to spend a day or two with us until they found a place. I have to add that I had 1 or 2 little babies in the house and the house next door was essentially a frat house (alcohol bottles always all over the yard, loud music all night long, cigarette butts, bottle rockets, etc). It was no surprise that they caught their house on fire. Still, who wants to be stuck out in the cold without a place to sleep. I talked to my parents and the real deciding factor was that if I invited them in, they didn't have to leave and I could be in a situation where I legally couldn't get rid of them.

    Isn't that the most ridiculous law? You invite someone in out of the goodness of your heart and then you're not allowed to ask them to leave?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Isn't that the most ridiculous law? You invite someone in out of the goodness of your heart and then you're not allowed to ask them to leave?
    I had never heard of this until today- here. Does anyone know how to look further into this law? We have a friend who has allowed a family to move in and they keep saying they're leaving but never do. Reading about this kind of makes me worry about our friend.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    I wonder if it has to do with there not being a lease? I don't think the homeowner had a lease with his step-son. If he did the woman did not sign the lease and that might be where the legal loophole is. Step-son signs the lease and gives the woman (and seven other people at the beginning) to move in.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,360
    Why is this not as simple as going through the legal steps of an eviction?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    I wish I'd known of this law a couple of years ago. We invited an acquaintance of ours to stay at our place over the summer. She had graduated from college and had nowhere to go. Summer turned to fall, to winter. Finally, we sat down with her and told her that she had to move on, put her college degree to use (she was still working at a minimum wage job). It was upsetting for everyone. She admitted that she was scared to "grow up." But Mr. Mr. E (hubby) told her that he would tell his own children the same thing: you can't live at home forever. She moved out and away, and now she lives in another city, has a job (though oddly not with her college degree), and is seeing a young man on a steady basis.

    I see now how this could have gone very wrong. She could legally still be living in our den, I guess!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Why is this not as simple as going through the legal steps of an eviction?
    Sorry for the double post, but I don't know if you can evict someone who doesn't have a lease of some sort.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    574
    From the linked article, near the end:

    "Don Bain has served the woman with an eviction notice and she has to be out by the end of the month but for the Bains it isn't soon enough."

    Evidently they are in the process of evicting her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Bones Found on Property
    By Tom'sGirl in forum Jaycee Lee Dugard
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 01:09 AM
  2. Prescriptions on the Property
    By JBean in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM