Miss California - Same Sex Marriage-Perez Hilton

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Not that this is controversial or anything.

Miss California USA, Carrie Prejean, doesn’t agree with the notion of gay marriage. Now, according to some, that makes her a bad person. Asked by judge Perez Hilton about the issue at the Miss USA pageant, Prejean replied:
“We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

The response, from some quarters was swift — and angry:
More at link

Perez was so steamed that as soon as the pageant was over - Miss California lost, by the way - he went off on her on a video blog.
"She gave the worst answer in pageant history," he fumed. "She got booed. I think that was the first time in Miss USA EVER that a contestant has been booed.

http://www.kansascity.com/932/story/1151831.html

Regardless of one agrees or not I think it was brave of her to stand by her beliefs.
She knew a VERY out gay man was asking & knew her chances of winning hinged on her answers & instead of giving the answer she knew (assumed)he wanted to hear she said what she honestly felt........

I think she was very brave to answer the question in the manner she did especially since Perez Hilton had his own agenda by asking the question in the first place. MOO.

Stick to your guns Miss California. Her answer was honest and she stated she didnt want to offend. As for the gay judge, shame on you for even asking a question like that. IMO the judge asked the question to support his own agenda, knowing full well whatever the answer was, he could have more to say. The Pageant itself should be ashamed that they didnt screen the questions. They should not be ashamed that a beautiful young woman stated her opinion.

I'm "thanking" everyones posts!

Perez needs a spanking, duh, don't ask someone's opinion if you don't want to know it! It is an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. I'm proud that she held fast to her belief and didn't try to appease him.

Perez is such a loser. Just because he's gay and believes in same sex marriage doesn't mean everyone has to. The girl is entitled to her own opinion.

I agree she is entitled to voice her own opinions (I happen to believe in civil unions), and I think Perez is a -but I gotta ask-

WTF is a "marriage of opposites"?

At least she wasn't as inarticulate as Miss Teen SC a few yrs ago!

WHo the H*LL has Perez Hilton as a judge for a Miss USA pageant anyway? What is wrong with people? I think he set out to intentionally cause her to answer a controversial question and hinder her chances to win. I feel by asking such a controversial question he discriminated against her, and such a question should never have been asked in the first place. Didn't someone screen the questions in advance? I realize Donald Trump ONLY cares about controversary and selling, but what about damaging someones reputation? That question should never have been asked of any of the women.

I watched her on TV and I think it was a difficult and political question that she handled by trying to acknowledge both sides of the issue but still expressed her own beliefs and how she was raised.

I didn't find her answer offensive at all; and I think gays should be able to marry if they want to.

I noticed that every question asked was very political - good grief it's just a beauty pageant, you could ask about their favorite book or piece of literature, or their favorite figure in history.

They even asked one about the bank bailout! lol

I agree she is entitled to voice her own opinions (I happen to believe in civil unions), and I think Perez is a -but I gotta ask-

WTF is a "marriage of opposites"?

At least she wasn't as inarticulate as Miss Teen SC a few yrs ago!

My marriage, lol.

She tried, but in my opinion, no matter what her answer was, she still sounded like an idiot. Her "opposite marriage" comment and other blunders made her sound rediculous. Not to mention sound like an ignorant bigot...but that's just my opinion. If I was in her place, and IF I disagreed with gay marriage, I would say something like, "I personally do not agree with gay marriage, however, this is America, and all people should have equal rights and protections. Even though homosexuality is against my personal beliefs and convictions, I believe all people are equal." Or something other than what she said. :rolleyes:

Now, I didn't see the pagent, so I don't know anything about the other contestants or questions, but political questions seem pretty common. And with the recent developments with gay marriage, I think it was a fair question. Just because a gay man asked it doesn't make it unfair or having an agenda. Controversial and/or political questions make the contestants think on their feet. It's only fair.

It was unfair to ask that question. She stood by her beliefs and I think she should be tolerated for that as I've tolerated gay pride parades. I love the gays, but that tradition is stupid and makes them look bad. Funny how those who insist on tolerance have the least of it to give.

She tried, but in my opinion, no matter what her answer was, she still sounded like an idiot. Her "opposite marriage" comment and other blunders made her sound rediculous. Not to mention sound like an ignorant bigot...but that's just my opinion. If I was in her place, and IF I disagreed with gay marriage, I would say something like, "I personally do not agree with gay marriage, however, this is America, and all people should have equal rights and protections. Even though homosexuality is against my personal beliefs and convictions, I believe all people are equal." Or something other than what she said. :rolleyes:

Now, I didn't see the pagent, so I don't know anything about the other contestants or questions, but political questions seem pretty common. And with the recent developments with gay marriage, I think it was a fair question. Just because a gay man asked it doesn't make it unfair or having an agenda. Controversial and/or political questions make the contestants think on their feet. It's only fair.
[my bold]

Agree with Idaho4Groenes assessment on how the question should have been answered.

Am not sure who Hilton is but think he also needed to respond as Idaho4Groenes did here (re civil disagreement).

Seems both parties involved need to remember it's America. :unksam:

I love reading your posts, Lovejac. Here is a perfect example of why.

Perez needs a spanking, duh, don't ask someone's opinion if you don't want to know it! It is an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. I'm proud that she held fast to her belief and didn't try to appease him.
As for Carrie Prejean? While I agree that she stated how she felt at the time, and I certainly do not think she should have been slammed, I also hope that she considers why it isn't okay for her. That is, besides the basic, "that's how my parents believe" or "that's what the bilble says." And then if, after in depth consideration, she still feels that way, then at least it is "her" belief.

I'm so proud of her for giving an honest answer from her heart and not just an answer that she thought everyone wanted to hear. She should be rewarded for honesty if nothing else.

"She gave the worst answer in pageant history," he fumed. "She got booed. I think that was the first time in Miss USA EVER that a contestant has been booed.

Maybe from where Perez was sitting he could hear booing, but I watched the show and I heard no booing, only applause for her answer.
Isn't Perez's 15 minutes about up?

WHo the H*LL has Perez Hilton as a judge for a Miss USA pageant anyway? What is wrong with people? I think he set out to intentionally cause her to answer a controversial question and hinder her chances to win. I feel by asking such a controversial question he discriminated against her, and such a question should never have been asked in the first place. Didn't someone screen the questions in advance? I realize Donald Trump ONLY cares about controversary and selling, but what about damaging someones reputation? That question should never have been asked of any of the women.

I would have given you two "thanks" if that were possible. Why is Perez Hilton a judge? While I do look at his website, it's pure trash most of the time. Is that who we want judging Miss America?

Whether you agree with Miss California or not, you have to give her kudos for standing up for what she believes in. In my opinion that made her a winner.

I didnt see it. But I wonder if she never really thought about that question, and just stumbled alot, not wanting to offend anyone.

Perez argh . I don't go to his website but he sits there and judges people about clothes, if they gain weight ect.. Gives them horrible nicknames. Really how can anyone let him judge a show like miss usa?? Obviously if your not in his circle and dont belive in what he does or have no money, he will pick on you.

If he was a good person, he would of excepted the answer and just leave it like that. Everyone is allowed to have opinions.... HE does.

The question in and of itself was reasonable. It was about "should other states follow VTs lead in leagalizing same sex marriages." She didn't answer the question. She didin't need to get into her own views - She could have simply said something about each state's right to make their own laws. As someone who actually judges pageants, I would have marked her down, not for her opinion, but for A) her inability to answer the question that was asked and B) her inability to articulate her views clearly. That's why she lost --Miss USA is 90% PR, and she can't even answer in complete sentences!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back