Thread: 14 Children die of abuse and neglect while being investigated by CPS

14 Children die of abuse and neglect while being investigated by CPS

Fourteen children died of abuse and neglect in Los Angeles County last year despite coming from families that had been under the scrutiny of child welfare officials, records released Monday show.

The family of a boy who died of multiple skull fractures had been reported 25 times to the Department of Children and Family Services and the mother had a known history of methamphetamine use. In other families, children died within months or even one day after a social worker's last visit

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3948277.story

The stories in this article are heartbreaking.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

This is so tragically disturbing and not at all unique to L.A. I will never understand how the very people who are charged with protecting at-risk children fail so much of the time. How can they possibly live with themselves knowing they were in a position to save these babies and didn't? Maybe they should start bringing charges against these useless CPS workers. Something definitely needs to change. The system is clearly broken.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

This dont suprise me at all. I saw a program about a New Orleans hospital and a little girl in Pre-K had untreated burns so her teacher called the cops. The doctors checked her out and turns out she was covered with scars from being beaten and she even told them her mom beat her with sticks and belts so they called CPS and CPS told them that they never had a complaint before so they had to return her to her mother and they did. I was so angry.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AmandaBrown23 For This Useful Post:

Happens all to often in every city no matter what size.
    And this is only the ones we know about.
    Still many never reported or dead children never found.
    The children just go back to the abusers til it is to late.
    Allot of abusers are on drugs.
    Stiffer laws, enforcement and jail time needs to be enforced!
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    This dont suprise me at all. I saw a program about a New Orleans hospital and a little girl in Pre-K had untreated burns so her teacher called the cops. The doctors checked her out and turns out she was covered with scars from being beaten and she even told them her mom beat her with sticks and belts so they called CPS and CPS told them that they never had a complaint before so they had to return her to her mother and they did. I was so angry.
    That is horrible! I wonder how these CPS people live with themselves....

CPS can scream that they have a shortage of funds and personnel but someone needs to rescue these children. It is just sickening what is happening to the children. I am hopeful that our new President's administration will begin to make some changes in this area. However, it needs to happen NOW! Child abuse reaches much higher numbers during economic downturns. At any rate, we as a nation must protect our children.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to travelgal For This Useful Post:

I retired in January from 25+ years with my state department of Social Services. I did not work in CPS but made many referrals over the years. I cannot recall one single case in which anything of substance was done. In one case I found out that a convicted sex offender was given custody of his five year old daughter by the bio mom, I interviewed him, clearly he was in it for what he could get and was abusive to the child in the interview. A CPS worker actually told me that 'he has a right to his child' and 'maybe having the child will make him more responsible.' I replied I sure hoped he didn't put her up for stakes in a card game. My supervisor got a complaint on that comment but I sure as hell didn't care. Adult protective services was even worse. Both would not return calls or reply to complaints.
    Yes they are underfunded and overworked. I also think there is a real issue in that after being around this stuff all day you just get numb to it. Then you just don't care. What's the answer, don't know.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

I have worked directly with CPS for over 20 years. This absolutely does not surprise me. There are any number of excuses, ranging from overloaded caseworkers to just pain neglect by the very entity put in place to protect our children. Far too many caseworkers do the very minimum required to maintain their employment and the remainder can only work within the legal guidelines they are given. I know caseworkers who have gone above and beyond to get children removed from at risk situations and I know others who simply turn a deaf ear and a blind eye for no other reason than the paperwork involved to get a child into a safe environment.
    My own granddaughters are living with a drug addicted, alcoholic mother who has exposed them to more men in her life (and her bed) over the last 3 years than you could ever imagine. She does not have a drivers license, yet drives the children all over town (never in car seats or belted in), she does not work and actually lived with the children in a pop-up camper for 3 months in the dead of winter in Montana. She manages to survive off of Social Security death benefits from my son. Police reports have been filed with CPS stating there was no food, running water or electricity in the home. The home was filthy and the police felt the children were at risk. So what did CPS do...nothing! They did give her a hair follicle drug test after giving her 30 days to prepare for it.
    So am I surprised by the above story...not at all. But I am so very sorry for the children who must endure such conditions and often times give their lives because adults fail to step up to the plate and do the right thing. The children who do survive will one day be adults who will either perpetuate the cycle of neglect and abuse or scream from the top of their lungs for change in our social services system. God bless them all.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    I have worked directly with CPS for over 20 years. This absolutely does not surprise me. There are any number of excuses, ranging from overloaded caseworkers to just pain neglect by the very entity put in place to protect our children. Far too many caseworkers do the very minimum required to maintain their employment and the remainder can only work within the legal guidelines they are given. I know caseworkers who have gone above and beyond to get children removed from at risk situations and I know others who simply turn a deaf ear and a blind eye for no other reason than the paperwork involved to get a child into a safe environment.
    My own granddaughters are living with a drug addicted, alcoholic mother who has exposed them to more men in her life (and her bed) over the last 3 years than you could ever imagine. She does not have a drivers license, yet drives the children all over town (never in car seats or belted in), she does not work and actually lived with the children in a pop-up camper for 3 months in the dead of winter in Montana. She manages to survive off of Social Security death benefits from my son. Police reports have been filed with CPS stating there was no food, running water or electricity in the home. The home was filthy and the police felt the children were at risk. So what did CPS do...nothing! They did give her a hair follicle drug test after giving her 30 days to prepare for it.
    So am I surprised by the above story...not at all. But I am so very sorry for the children who must endure such conditions and often times give their lives because adults fail to step up to the plate and do the right thing. The children who do survive will one day be adults who will either perpetuate the cycle of neglect and abuse or scream from the top of their lungs for change in our social services system. God bless them all.
    (((((momtective)))))) I am so sorry! I'm sure you are praying your heart out for your grandchildren. I will pray with you!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:

These stories just break my heart. I am so sorry for your grandchildren's situation momtective.

I'm so so so sorry for what your grandchildren are going through. I wish there was something I could do
    #PrayForMH370

Does not surprise me at all. Our 4 we are adopting ( my sisters kids) had MANY MANY calls of abuse before they removed them only because I DEMANDED something be done. They DEBATED removing them even though we had got a call that our nephew had a knife held to his neck and his bio moms bf told him he was coming back the next day to fight him knife to knife. he was 14 years old!!! THEY STILL debated removing them. I am so glad he called me. We went and got them and marched up to Dhs that Monday and demanded something be done. I really dont know if he would be alive today if he had not called. I am so very glad they are all 4 with us now.

the remainder can only work within the legal guidelines they are given.
    Respectfully snipped. Many people do not understand the legal guidelines. People do not understand that a worker can have a bad feeling, or even "just know" after years of experience, but can do nothing because LEGALLY, there is no proof. You can tell me about a situation until you're blue in the face, but if I have a parent contradicting it, and no outside proof (such as a police report or other witnesses), it will NOT hold up in court! Also, does anyone who hasn't worked in the system know how many referrals come in EACH DAY. If you look at the percentages of something going wrong compared to how many referrals there are, it is probably a low percentage. Now, I would love to see there be no mistakes, in a perfect world, that would happen. In a perfect world, parents wouldn't do this to their kids! Yes, there are bad social workers. Yes, they are overworked. Yes, mistakes are made. But no one ever does stories on the ones who make it. If they do, it only makes the local news, not national.

I'm sorry, this is a really sore topic with me.