TX - Deandre Washington, 10 mos, dies of abusive injuries, 12 March 2009

Sporky

The fork is mightier than the spoon.
Reaction score
A 12-year-old boy, who is accused of capital murder in the death of an 11-month-old baby, is sitting in a jail cell.

Investigators say the toddler suffered deadly blunt force trauma and that the sixth-grade student is responsible.

“It’s highly unusual for a 12-year-old to be charged with capital murder in Harris County, Texas,” said Assistant District Attorney Donna Hawkins.

The young suspect’s mother, Tawanna Scott, says authorities told her that her son had confessed to committing the crime. But she doesn't believe that he did.

more at link

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stor...year-old-capital-murder-toddler.f985b91d.html

Also from that link (TY sporky):

The adults were not in the room, but the baby’s 5 and 7-year-old brothers were.

They claim the 12-year-old boy threw the baby.

The mother of the baby does have a history with Children's Protective Services.

Scott said that when she arrived at the townhome to pick up her kids, hours after the baby was injured, she was the first to call 911.

Scott says that her son is ADHD, is on medication and had once been suspended, but she says he’s not a violent child. She says that he often took care of his younger siblings. There are nine of them.

Something stinks about this story. JMHO.

Did I read that right? He is 12 years old, and was often left in charge of 9 (nine!) other siblings, all of whom are younger than him???

There is not a lot of information in that story so I am darned if I can determine WHAT might have really happened. Heartbreaking

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014879816

April 22, 2009 2:07 a.m. EST

The boy under the custody of county juvenile authorities is facing 40 years in prison if convicted for the killing of Deandre Washington.

The Houston Children's Protective Services said the boy and the baby were left by their mothers in the latter's home in southeast Houston together with other children on March 12. When the boy's mother, Tawana Scott, arrived, she found the baby unconscious and called 911. The baby died at the Texas Children's Hospital from blunt force trauma on March 14.

Authorities aren't talking from what I can gather, and I still say this story is off somewhere, somehow, I just can't put my finger on it.

Unless it was an emergency, why would these mothers leave an 11 year old to watch the younger children. I think they should be charged with something.

from the OPs link.....
“My son says he never told the detective that. He said, ‘I never told him I threw no baby. Why would I throw a baby?'” she said. “They are trying to charge him with capital murder. If it was to come out that he did do it, I don’t believe he did it on purpose.”
Bold mine.....HUH ? How do you not throw a baby on purpose ? And the articles says the townhome is empty but there used to be 2 women & alot of kids there and when she "arrived"......so does this mean that the child was at the sitters ? Im confused.

Found some more info.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iscBPJrU2CD3fEmT2_e0ww8bq4xgD97NO8Q00

Authorities still are trying to determine how many children were in the house in a working class section of southeast Houston when the mothers of the two sets of siblings left them alone. They also don't yet know whether the 12-year-old, who was the oldest in the group, was specifically left in charge.

The boy was not in school that day because he had been suspended for fighting.

"It's not clear whether the mothers told the 12-year-old, 'You are in charge,' and left with the intention of coming back. He would have been the oldest so more than likely you would think he would be in charge," Olguin said.

The 12-year-old has nine siblings, and all but two live with their mother, Tawanna Scott. Deandre's mother has three other kids.

The two mothers came home after the 12-year-old boy called them to say Deandre was not breathing, calling 911 after they got home, Olguin said. She said the other children witnessed the 12-year-old throw the baby to the floor.

I am so confused! Too many conflicting stories!!

snipped

The 12-year-old’s mother, Tawanna Scott, has told authorities she was working March 12, while the baby’s mother watched Scott’s son, along with the baby and his three brothers, ages 4, 5 and 7, at her southeast Houston home. Scott, 31, arrived at the duplex after the baby already was injured, her mother, Betty Scott, said.

“She was the one who called 911,” Betty Scott said. “She was the one who gave the baby CPR and tried to administer help.”

Deandre’s mother first told investigators that she was home cooking when she heard the baby cry. Later, according to CPS, she told investigators that she and Scott had gone out to get something to eat, leaving at least five children alone at the duplex. She could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Assistant District Attorney Bill Moore said prosecutors will investigate the mothers’ roles in what happened.

Olguin said it remained unclear whether any of Scott’s other children were at the duplex. “If the mother of the deceased child normally takes care of other children, it leads me to believe there may have been children there other than the 12-year-old and the four children that live there,” she said.

Was the mom at work, or did she go out with the other mother to get something to eat?

Was the mom there to hear the baby cry or was she out getting something to eat?

I pray to God that this 12 year old is not being set up. We definitely need some more info.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Baby_Killed.html

Hinky Alert!!!

Deandre's mother first told CPS investigators she was home when she heard the baby cry and discovered he had fallen off the couch.

But later the baby's mother and the mother of the 12-year-old changed their stories, telling authorities that they had left a group of their kids alone at the house.

But both mothers have come under CPS scrutiny before. Deandre's mother was investigated in 2004 for not following through with medical care for one of her children. That probe was not completed because the mother could not be located. The 12-year-old's mother had been investigated by CPS after a report her children had been left home alone, but CPS decided she wasn't at fault.

I wonder if the 4,5, and 7 year old were questioned. The eleven year old was way too young to be having to watch babies and toddlers. Now his life is ruined and of course there is a dead baby that should have been with an adult.

A 12 year old child is in jail because of what a 4, 5 and 7 year old told police? How can they be credible witnesses? I think the mothers should be in jail instead of the boy for leaving him alone with all those kids. This is wrong.

Link: http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090422_jj_12-year-old-charged.fec2307d.html

In a juvenile court hearing Wednesday, a judge determined that a 12-year-old boy accused of killing a 10-month-old baby would remain in custody.

The boy’s hearing lasted for about two hours, but it only took minutes for supporters to speak out on the boy’s behalf.

“Even though we can’t bring a child back, we can at least get the facts to where another child can be saved,” said the boy’s attorney, Ronald Gray

If this young man was already suspended from school because of fighting, it sounds like he may have some anger issues. Possibly from being left to take care of all those other children.

Yes I would agree also with him having anger issues. The parent is either in denial or lying so that she wont be charged in this case.

When can CPS start ordering IUDs? (Inter uterine devices)

I realize we cannot sterilize these people...

I know it isn't the answer.

Poor baby, and the poor child. I pray for the best outcome possible.

ok, she has previous problems with CPS, but yet, she still has 9 children? 10 counting him? aye yi yi....

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head!! This whole story stinks to high heaven!

Seems to me there should be some ADULTS going to prison and this child should be placed in an appropriate place where he can be treated (if that's even possible) for his behavior disorders. THEN transferred to prison when he is an adult. :eek::eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches
Back