1946 users online (338 members and 1608 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

All things swine flu (H1N1)

per CNN newsconference. waiting for a link to show up.
    OCCAM'S RAZOR : "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

Swine Flu from Mexico Spreads to New York High School

April 25, 2009 by
    Marissa Kao

Possible Pandemic of the a (H1N1) Swine Flu

A lack of appetite, a little fever, and some coughing. All these symptoms point to a flu but for people in Mexico and the students of St. Francis Preparatory in New York. These symptoms could all mean something much more dangerous.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...new.html?cat=5
    Last edited by JBean; 04-25-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: removed text copyright infringement
    OCCAM'S RAZOR : "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."

Please if you or anyone you know gets sick with flulike symptoms please go get tested so that they can have a better idea of how this is spreading!

I think I have it. Syumptoms coming on strong as day goes on, fever, aches, fatigue, chills, nausea, etc. I hope it is a 24 hour bug and all, and not swine flu.

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

Very scarey!
    Happy New Years

Everybody take care-- stay vigilant, alert, and wash your hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    Everybody take care-- stay vigilant, alert, and wash your hands!!
    Good advice, all.

One more thing...

DON'T PANIC!!!

I predict the most massive wave of Sophomore Syndrome in recent history.

But still be vigilant, and sensible.

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of the 1918 flu pandemic. There will be.

My Uhh Ohh moment was when they mentioned that the patient demographics were including more healthy young adults than normal. Check out this graph from this Wiki article.
    "It MUST be true. I saw it on NANCY."

FOR SALE: Knives, set of six, dinner and/or stainless. Move fast on this one, people. Only three of the set left.

The GOOD news is the US cases do not seem to have been as severe as the Mexico cases.

2) It seems to respond to antivirals such as tamiflu

Web MD gives tips to stay healthy:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ne...tbreak-serious

My advice is to stock up on foods, stay home if you can, and shop when you expect the least amount of people present.

Not too far fetched, but if you're more suseptible to respiratory infections than most, and have to be out, wear a face mask in public, and do not touch your hands to your face until you've washed them. If you have to go to a doctor's office, same deal. You don't have any idea why others are there. Job #1 protect yourself & your families.

Firsthand accounts from Mexico:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

Some reports have over 200 people now dead. Schools, theaters, shops closed.
    Read the first comment from the doctor, who saw two interns at his hospital come down with it and die, even though they had gotten the flu vaccine.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    This is starting to hit home and freak me out. I live in NYC and take mass transit. The thing that scares me the most if it something really did start to spread the city would quarantine NYC, shutting off bridges, ferries, etc and those of us here would not be able to leave if we wanted to. It is good news that people are responding to the meds. I think perhaps there have been statistically so many more deaths in Mexico is because they are an impoverished nation with limited access to the proper anti-biotics they need to take.

Be safe!!
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    This is SERIOUS you all! Do NOT mess with this. If you even think you have it get in to see your Dr, ASAP!!!! This is spreading like wildfire, and is NOTHING to mess with! The sooner you get diagnosed the better chance you have at getting it cured before it causes anymore damage. Also if it is not in your state yet, don't think that you don't have it. They don't know how it is spreading, as of yet, so you could very well have it, and it be the first in your state. If you do have it, please let us know so we can track it here at Webseluths. That way we may be able to come up with a potentioal way of how it is spreading!!!
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    BTW New York has 9 potential cases of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I think I have it. Syumptoms coming on strong as day goes on, fever, aches, fatigue, chills, nausea, etc. I hope it is a 24 hour bug and all, and not swine flu.

Please go get checked out at your Dr, and let us know. Watch for other family memebers that may contract it from you. Best of luck!

For all everyone that loves to read as I do, here is a book (which I consider the best I've read on the topic) about the 1918 pandemic.

America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby.

Amazing read.

I'm not in a panic. I am just following closely. I had the unfortunate experience to contract the Flu once in my lifetime. I had it in Jan 2000, my oldest daughter caught it too. Within two days after being infected with that particular strain I was hospitalized with pnuemonia, a woman that lived on the next street over came down with it and died, my oldest daughter was also hospitalized. It wasn't a particularily virulent strain of Flu from what I gather, we were just prone to become more ill from it I guess.

It's good news that all of the cases so far reported in the US are milder than in Mexico. Hopefully, this can be contained and burn out quickly.

I'm watching the WHO website and I trust them to alert us if it becomes too out of control, some of the headlines I'm reading in the media seem a bit alarmist.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast