1071 users online (236 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Travis Co., LIVING Baby Girl, 2 mos, left at fire station, Apr'09

I didn't see a thread for this little one. If there is one, hopefully the mods will merge or delete this one.

---

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin

Unidentified Person's Details

Date Picture Updated: 4/27/2009

Case Number: U0904001
    Agency: Travis County Sheriff's Office
    Date Found: 4/18/2009
    Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
    Cause of Death: N/A (Living)
    Race: Unknown
    Sex: Female
    Height: 1' 11" - 1' 11"
    Weight: 10 lbs. - 10 lbs.
    Eye Color: Brown
    Hair Color: Brown
    State Found: Texas
    Country Found: USA
    Clothing: Unknown
    Miscellaneous: Baby approximately 2 months old was left at a fire station in western Travis county . The child's possible first name is Monica. The baby has a Mongolian spot on her tailbone.

You can contact the Missing Persons Clearinghouse at :
    Missing Persons Clearinghouse
    Texas Department of Public Safety
    P O Box 4087
    Austin, Texas 78773-0422
    Phone: (512) 424-5074
    Helpline: (800) 346-3243

Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-14-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Thank God they left her at the Fire Station. She is so beautiful. I hope mommy is not dead somewhere.

I thought there was some kind of child abandonment law that stated that a parent could abandon a child at police and fire stations, without fear of legal trouble.

Would actively trying to find this childs mother be defeating this purpose?

First of all, I would question whether the baby was handed to a person at the fire department or was the baby just left there? Also, the laws for being able to abandon your child at a hospital or fire station, etc. states the child must be under 30 days old. They are estimating the baby found was 2 months at the time she was left at the station.

One idea: soften laws prosecuting mothers for child abandonment, as long as they take the child to a designated safe place. This is what the Texas State Legislature did in September 1999, after 13 abandoned babies were found in the Houston area in a 10-month period. While baby abandonment is still prosecutable in the state, the new law offers an affirmative defense to the woman who goes to a hospital or fire station and hands her baby to an emergency medical services provider, as long as the baby has not been abused and is less than 30 days old.
    Quote Originally Posted by amandab View Post
    I thought there was some kind of child abandonment law that stated that a parent could abandon a child at police and fire stations, without fear of legal trouble.

Would actively trying to find this childs mother be defeating this purpose?

bless her sweet little heart.

maybe they are looking for family to take her to avoid foster care.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

If she has a mongolian spot on her tailbone, she is most likely biracial...what a beautiful baby. I hope they find someone to adopt her who will love her and treat her right.
    Happy New Years

This child is no longer listed in the Texas DPS Unidentified Persons Bulletin
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/unidentified.htm

Has this beautiful baby been identified? Shes adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    If she has a mongolian spot on her tailbone, she is most likely biracial...what a beautiful baby. I hope they find someone to adopt her who will love her and treat her right.
    Not so - I'm Scandanavian and the hubs is Irish- and our daughter had one the size of an adult hand on her hip/ leg.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Mongolian spots are much more common in certain populations such as Asians but they do affect people from a lot of races. Wikipedia says that 5-10% of Caucasians have Mongolian spots for example. I knew of their existence because a know people who have adopted children from Korea where they have been warned about these spots and that they are not a sign of abuse but I actually didn't know that they exist among white babies as well.

I honestly think whoever left the baby at the station did the right thing. They apparently knew they couldn't take care of the little girl. But at least now not only is she still alive, she's being cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by elliha View Post
    Mongolian spots are much more common in certain populations such as Asians but they do affect people from a lot of races. Wikipedia says that 5-10% of Caucasians have Mongolian spots for example. I knew of their existence because a know people who have adopted children from Korea where they have been warned about these spots and that they are not a sign of abuse but I actually didn't know that they exist among white babies as well.
    My daughter's was right in the spot where, if you yanked her up by the arm and swatted her bottom, a bruise would appear. And they look for all the world like bruises. I finally got a note from the doctor stating it was a Mongolian spot because Sunday school teachers, babysitters etc would be mandated to report abuse (rightfully so) and I didn't want to have to explain it every time. That daughter is 34 now, and still has a faint trace of it on her hip.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill