CA CA - John Floyd Thomas Jr.-30 elderly female victims

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
The first wave of slayings haunted Los Angeles in the mid-1970s. The killer slipped mostly unseen through the night, preying on older women who lived alone. He raped them and squeezed their necks until they passed out or died. On the 17 who were killed, he placed pillows or blankets over their faces.

The second wave hit a decade later in Claremont -- five older women raped and strangled, faces again covered. (more at link)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-serial-killer30-2009apr30,0,4540481.story

Wowza.
The wheels of justice spin...slowly.
I hope that some of the women's families will be offered at least some closure...and I'm glad they caught him.

BTW, I find it a little ironic that he preyed on elderly women and then gets busted at the age of 72...

What a frightening looking individual!!
He should never have been released from prison (not because of his looks, because of the kinds of crimes he committed).

Wondering about any crimes John Floyd Thomas may have committed in the 50's, also wonder if he was ever known to travel to Canada?

http://www.lapdonline.org/april_2009/news_view/41572

Thomas Cold Case 1971 001.jpg

rbbm

"During the mid-1970s, many sexually-motivated murders and sexual assaults were occurring in the city of Los Angeles (the great majority of these were reported in the Hollywood, Wilshire and Rampart Areas). The suspect in these cases was dubbed "The Westside Rapist.” Because of Thomas's criminal background, the close proximity of his homes to murder locations, similar victim descriptions (white elderly female) and other evidence that suggests the type of modus operandi (MO) used by the suspect, Detectives strongly believe Thomas is very likely the suspect in "The Westside Rapist” cases.

There are cases associated with "The Westside Rapist" investigation that also have partial DNA profiles and those partial profiles match Thomas's DNA.

Cold Case detectives will focus on connecting Thomas to additional cases during those years when he was not in custody for other crimes. Detectives will begin in the mid-1950s when his criminal history began in the Los Angeles area. The review will likely include cases occurring through the decade of the 1980s. During that approximate 35-year span, Thomas was in custody for a total of roughly twelve years."

The first wave of slayings haunted Los Angeles in the mid-1970s. The killer slipped mostly unseen through the night, preying on older women who lived alone. He raped them and squeezed their necks until they passed out or died. On the 17 who were killed, he placed pillows or blankets over their faces.

The second wave hit a decade later in Claremont -- five older women raped and strangled, faces again covered. (more at link)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-serial-killer30-2009apr30,0,4540481.story
There was another wave in the 80s that was initially thought to be the same perp - but Brandon Tholmer was convicted of some of them. So there were two "West Side Rapists" preying to elderly women.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back