1235 users online (230 members and 1005 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    117

    TX - Mark Nelson, 38, shot to death, Katy, 29 April 2009

    Harris County prosecutors said Thursday they will ask a juvenile judge to continue the detention of a 12-year-old Katy girl charged with murder in the shooting death of her father.

    Mark A. Nelson, 38, died Wednesday evening after being shot in the back of his head as he lay in bed. Police recovered a .38-caliber revolver at the home

    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6399995.html
    Welcome to the world Bridget!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    884


    What's up with all these kids shooting their parents??
    Why do parents even let their kids know where their guns are?
    Or did she get the gun herself from somewhere?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas at the moment :)
    Posts
    1,933
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6399995.html

    OH MY, this is just down the road from us. We live in Katy, Tx. How very shocking. I have a child the same age, cannot imagine a 'little girl' being capable of that kind of rage or whatever went on.

    I think it was a gun from the house. No idea if it was locked up or not.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Reading the "comments" section after the article--assuming it is true, check the first comment...the person says :
    "next door neighbor said that she often came over with bruises around her neck. wouldn't that raise a flag to find out what was going on??????"

  5. #5
    jnTexas's Avatar
    jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Splendora, Texas
    Posts
    3,420
    I live near this area. There have been many people saying this girl was abused.

    My kids know where our guns are. Of course they are all locked up in the gun safe. Our 10 yr old and 12 yr old both have deer hunting rifles and they are excellent shooters. If you teach your kids gun safety and keep your guns locked up they know to respect the danger. The people you have to worry about are the ones who don't teach their kids and have guns sitting in closets. JMO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by jnTexas View Post
    I live near this area. There have been many people saying this girl was abused.

    My kids know where our guns are. Of course they are all locked up in the gun safe. Our 10 yr old and 12 yr old both have deer hunting rifles and they are excellent shooters. If you teach your kids gun safety and keep your guns locked up they know to respect the danger. The people you have to worry about are the ones who don't teach their kids and have guns sitting in closets. JMO
    Thank's jnTexas, I was wondering about that, but didn't want to offend anyone.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kansas city, mo
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by jnTexas View Post
    I live near this area. There have been many people saying this girl was abused.
    i don't know specifically about this girl, but my Criminal Justice (or maybe my Social Psych?) book has some interesting statistics about parenticide. Almost all are not accidental, and almost all are because of abuse, physical or emotional. When people outside of the family don't notice what's going on, they feel that they have no other choice.

    Certainly I believe this girl should be tried (and given major counseling away from society - she obviously has some major emotional issues), but it's hard to imagine sentencing some of these kids as adults and locking them away for life.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas at the moment :)
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenish View Post
    i don't know specifically about this girl, but my Criminal Justice (or maybe my Social Psych?) book has some interesting statistics about parenticide. Almost all are not accidental, and almost all are because of abuse, physical or emotional. When people outside of the family don't notice what's going on, they feel that they have no other choice.

    Certainly I believe this girl should be tried (and given major counseling away from society - she obviously has some major emotional issues), but it's hard to imagine sentencing some of these kids as adults and locking them away for life.
    Welcome to Websleuths kittenish & ty for your insight. I live a mile or so from this and did not hear about it until today. It is very sad and I cannot imagine what this girl may have gone through to decide to shot her father. I hope prosecution will not fail her if she was abused.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    104
    Hi
    I'm new around here, but am rather familiar with the site (okay, I've been lurking since the Shawn Hornbeck case broke!).

    I just wanted to add my .02 to the discussion. Reading this article gave me chills, it reminded me so much of my own experience as a girl. I grew up with a physically abusive father, and I remember one night (when I was 12 years old, actually) things got particularly bad. I have never in my life wanted to kill someone like I wanted to that night. It was like an explosion of emotion. I wanted to shoot him and kill him in his sleep--I remember thinking that I wanted to get him in the kneecaps first, play with him for a while. (I know, I know! Sounds terrible!) I knew he had guns--a military guy into hunting and such. What saved my father's life (and my own, I guess) is the fact that I simply didn't know where the guns were stashed.
    I was a very shy, very quiet girl then, and I grew up to be a non-violent person, a primary school teacher, and a devoted parent and wife. And even today, I don't have the greatest relationship with my father, and I probably never will, but I have to say that he has softened so much with age. IOW, I'm glad I didn't kill him. lol

    I guess my point is that an abusive situation creates such emotional upheaval in a child that she will consider choices that are not in keeping with her personality at all. Abuse evokes a fight or flight mentality. As an adult, it's best to get out and be done with it. But as a child, where can you go? You are captive to your abuser. She probably thought, "It's either him or me."

    I really hope that the authorities approach this case with sensitivity to the fact that she is a child and that she was abused. I don't want to see her life ruined for what comes down to self-defense. I know that she wasn't being attacked at the time, as she shot him in his sleep, but when you know for sure that tomorrow is going to be just like today and yesterday, and all the yesterdays before that, then you take your advantage when you can get it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    If it's true that this girl frequently had bruises around her neck, then I feel it should be self defense. No one should have to be abused and live with being choked and no telling what else. If she truly was abused then she probably now feels safe for the first time in her life.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Hi
    I'm new around here, but am rather familiar with the site (okay, I've been lurking since the Shawn Hornbeck case broke!).

    I just wanted to add my .02 to the discussion. Reading this article gave me chills, it reminded me so much of my own experience as a girl. I grew up with a physically abusive father, and I remember one night (when I was 12 years old, actually) things got particularly bad. I have never in my life wanted to kill someone like I wanted to that night. It was like an explosion of emotion. I wanted to shoot him and kill him in his sleep--I remember thinking that I wanted to get him in the kneecaps first, play with him for a while. (I know, I know! Sounds terrible!) I knew he had guns--a military guy into hunting and such. What saved my father's life (and my own, I guess) is the fact that I simply didn't know where the guns were stashed.
    I was a very shy, very quiet girl then, and I grew up to be a non-violent person, a primary school teacher, and a devoted parent and wife. And even today, I don't have the greatest relationship with my father, and I probably never will, but I have to say that he has softened so much with age. IOW, I'm glad I didn't kill him. lol

    I guess my point is that an abusive situation creates such emotional upheaval in a child that she will consider choices that are not in keeping with her personality at all. Abuse evokes a fight or flight mentality. As an adult, it's best to get out and be done with it. But as a child, where can you go? You are captive to your abuser. She probably thought, "It's either him or me."

    I really hope that the authorities approach this case with sensitivity to the fact that she is a child and that she was abused. I don't want to see her life ruined for what comes down to self-defense. I know that she wasn't being attacked at the time, as she shot him in his sleep, but when you know for sure that tomorrow is going to be just like today and yesterday, and all the yesterdays before that, then you take your advantage when you can get it.

    ((((((((((celeste)))))))) :bighug: So sorry about your abuse. Thank you for giving your insight and sharing your story. I'm glad that you survived.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    104
    Thanks, Lovejac!

    But perhaps I jumped the gun with my response. I had not seen this article: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6785280

    LE has been unable to find markings on the girl to prove that she was abused, and the victim's best friend is alleging that the girl made up the claims of abuse because she didn't get her way:

    Lollies says the girl made up the assault after her father took away her cell phone and Internet privileges.

    "He found out about the MySpace page and took it down and took back her cell phone and stopped letting her use the Internet, " said Lollies. "That's when she said, well, 'He choked me',"


    Please don't tell me that this is about suspended cell phone privileges!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kansas city, mo
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Thanks, Lovejac!

    But perhaps I jumped the gun with my response. I had not seen this article: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6785280

    LE has been unable to find markings on the girl to prove that she was abused, and the victim's best friend is alleging that the girl made up the claims of abuse because she didn't get her way:

    Lollies says the girl made up the assault after her father took away her cell phone and Internet privileges.

    "He found out about the MySpace page and took it down and took back her cell phone and stopped letting her use the Internet, " said Lollies. "That's when she said, well, 'He choked me',"


    Please don't tell me that this is about suspended cell phone privileges!
    wow! i thought someone had seen the marks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Thanks, Lovejac!

    But perhaps I jumped the gun with my response. I had not seen this article: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6785280

    LE has been unable to find markings on the girl to prove that she was abused, and the victim's best friend is alleging that the girl made up the claims of abuse because she didn't get her way:

    Lollies says the girl made up the assault after her father took away her cell phone and Internet privileges.

    "He found out about the MySpace page and took it down and took back her cell phone and stopped letting her use the Internet, " said Lollies. "That's when she said, well, 'He choked me',"



    Please don't tell me that this is about suspended cell phone privileges!
    Thank's for that article. I am very interested in the CPS report. I'm with you, we definitely need to get more information.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori...t.c170d48.html

    Her stepmother said that she loves her stepdaughter and is coming to terms with the loss of her husband.

    Katy police arrived at the home in the 3300 block of Jan Court shortly after 11 a.m. on Wednesday and found Mark A. Nelson, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

    Neighbors said Nelson and his daughter were often seen playing basketball outside of their home.

    “They seemed like they were getting along,” said neighbor Jeremy Lorino.” Nothing [appeared] out of the ordinary.”
    interesting comment at the bottom of the article, FWIW

    Duck22 5 hours ago wrote:
    I am the brother of the gunshot victim.My brother loved my niece with all of his heart. Alot of people are talking about how she was abused and mistreated. This is an outright "LIE". Most people making these comments don't know anything about my family. The reason their is no evidence of abuse, is because there was no abuse of ANY KIND.And to the uncle on the mother's side who made the comment about you all calling CPS to get my niece removed from her father and step mother... If her biological mother was not "UNFIT" as found by CPS her biological mother would not have lost her. She was having problems taking care of the kids she already had, and my niece was being mistreated by her own mother. So my brother fought his A** off to get his daughter removed from her UNFIT A** biological mother. To people trying to question my brother's parenting skills and integrety, if you didn't know my brother, you really have no grounds to judge him or anyone else you don't know.What i speak is the truth.For those that offer simpathy and keeps me and my family in their prayers; THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY GA - Heather Strube, 25, shot to death, Snellville, 26 April 2009
    By EGirl in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 11:34 PM
  2. GUILTY FL - Nikki McCormick, 21, shot to death, Wahneta, 28 April 2009
    By Indianagirl in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2015, 02:29 AM
  3. GUILTY TX - Dr. Rick Lohstroh, 41, shot to death, Katy, 27 Aug 2004
    By blueclouds in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 06:51 PM
  4. GUILTY FL - Jay Beckman, 52, shot to death, Miami, 12 April 2009
    By Reader in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM
  5. GUILTY TX - Bridgett Frisbie, 17, shot to death, Katy, 3 April 2011
    By cluciano63 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Tags for this Thread