Ramifications of a Not Guilty Verdict in Casey Anthony Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattymarie

Reaction score
This thread is for speculation of the possible ramifications if Casey is found Not Guilty.
What could be the reasons if she is found not guilty?
What would this say about our legal/justice system?
What would ithis imply about 24/7 news, legal TV shows (i.e. JVM, NG and the like)
What does the internet have to do with it?
What might Casey's life, the A's look like?
What might this say about Orlando's LE?
What could this imply about having a high priced legal team (though we still can't figure out who is paying for it)
What does this say about a high profile case?
Will there be justice for baby Caylee?

Your thoughts? Do you think this could be a possibility?

I think that there is a greater possibility that Casey will be found not guilty now that the DP is on the table. As much as JB makes my skin crawl, he does have a point when he states that death is an irrevocable sentence. Unless there is some solid incriminating evidence that we are yet to see, I fear that the circumstantial evidence presented thus far is insufficient for a guilty verdict.
Media sources will often rush to judgment for the sake of ratings. Many of Casey's Photobucket icons and social media-site pictures should, IMO, be inadmissible in court.
As repugnant as I find her behavior as it has been reported, her personal life is really none of my business. Her partying, peeing and puking are her own business, and I was certainly not an angel myself at her age; Nor am I now. All that is pertinent from a legal standpoint are the facts, regardless of what "my gut" tells me.
Yes, my gut tells me that she did this, or was very deeply involved. She was Caylee's mother, supposed to be her guardian and champion, and therefore is by no means innocent. Unfortunately, whether or not she is Guilty of murder remains unclear.

Good thought prevoking post. I myself have thought what would happen if she got off. I would be totally po'd and very upset. I have been so into this case. Have had dreams about Caylee that came true. I cried when they found little Caylee. I read WS everyday. I pour over the documents.

I feel most likely I would need someone to talk to if she got off.

The Anthony's would need to move. I predict if she got off, there will be protestors outside the court and outside their house.

Could I blame LE? No... Will I blame the high powered lawyers on her defense. Yes! Why? Because it just goes to show, when you have money and your cute, justice doesn't rule in the publics favor. And that angers me. If that ever happened to me, I would be thrown in jail and the key thrown away and forgotten about.

And if she is found not guilty, KC has gotten away with murder. She will never learn anything in life because all she has done is smile, lie, steal, backstab people, and she knows she can get away with it. The A's will support her with their love and their money and she will get what she wants.

I will never forget Caylee...never! May justice be served.

Hope this makes sense. Past my bedtime.

I agree with every one here. If she is found not guilty, I really feel that the family and especially KC will be in great danger from public violence. Just remembering the scene outside of the Anthony house earlier this year, I truly feel something horrible will happen. Even OJ Simpson was not as hated as she is, IMO. Because of little Caylee's age, it will be bad. Please do not think that I in any way advocate this, I just think that is the way it will be.

Unfortunately, I see it as a real possibility. No, if it happens, there will be no justice for Caylee. :banghead:

But, KC won't be the first or the last person to get away with murder.

I don't see the Anthonys welcoming her back with open arms, however.

In five years, CA and GA will be living somewhere else under new names and KC will be living on the street. My opinion, only.

I've been pondering starting a thread on this very subject since Fridays doc dump. I'm so glad you started it Pattymarie. Personally, I wonder if KC is found not guilty if she would even make it past the courthouse steps. I believe her life would be in grave danger because of the public outrage. I'm even wondering if the entire family might have to go into a witness protection type program for their own safety...as we've seen from the protesters at the Anthony home, people are more than a little angry with all of them.

My posts represent my opinion only.

I think that there is a greater possibility that Casey will be found not guilty now that the DP is on the table. As much as JB makes my skin crawl, he does have a point when he states that death is an irrevocable sentence. Unless there is some solid incriminating evidence that we are yet to see, I fear that the circumstantial evidence presented thus far is insufficient for a guilty verdict.
Snipped and bolded by me.

What we are forgetting is that although the DP is an option, most likely the SA's office will have "lesser included" charges. So not only will murder 1 be an option for a jury, so will murder 2. (as well as other charges). So if for any reason a panelist feels it wasn't premeditated...they can vote for murder 2.

In either event. The DP is part of the sentencing phase. So even if a conviction is gained on a murder 1 charge...she can still get life w/o parole and not the DP. I know...some people may be reluctant to convict on a murder 1 know the DP is a possibility. Hence, the lesser included charges as additional options.

I have thought about this possibility from time to time.
Even if Casey were to be found not guilty, there are still charges that can put her away for a long time because of the check stealing and forgeries she has done, since she was caught on camera there should be no doubt of her guilt there!
"The Beautiful Life" that Casey envisioned will never be Imo and the life of her parents will never be the same either. If she was some day able to walk our free and clear, where will she go? Can you imagine the "drama" if she is under the same roof as C&G again? There is no Caylee for them to consider to stop them from kicking her out now. What man would ever be interested in her now? Sure there might be a few who want to use her, but she'll be used and then tossed out. There will be no Happily Ever After!
We are not at the end of this saga yet, but I do picture that she'll be found guilty, every fiber of common sense screams for it, and one day the house on Hopespring will be empty. The day Caylee was murdered was also the day life as they knew it was killed for her entire family, it will haunt all of them and I'm sorry but they are just not well enough to recover.

VB

Unfortunately, I see it as a real possibility. No, if it happens, there will be no justice for Caylee. :banghead:

But, KC won't be the first or the last person to get away with murder.

I don't see the Anthonys welcoming her back with open arms, however.

In five years, CA and GA will be living somewhere else under new names and KC will be living on the street.
My opinion, only.

Bolded by me...Don't forget about the check charges. She will be sitting in jail for a while.

Let's say she hear's those words "not guilty", she won't be walking out the door right then and there. She will be brought back to her cell pending other charges. She may make it out on bail until she gets convicted of those charges but she will doing some time regardless.

I am glad to see this thread. As much as I hate to say it, I really do think there is a very good chance that she may get off. And if she is found guilty, there is an even greater possibility that she will win on her appeals. I think the public will be outraged at first, and after a while, life will go back to whatever is normal for her and the family. The only difference I would anticipate is that she may be a very wealthy lady after all is said and done. There will be book deals,movie deals,,,etc. And she will latch onto all of them. I truly hope I am wrong, but I think the worse eveidence they have on her is that she did not report her missing for 31 days.. I pray that le is holding a lot of things back, because I believe if they go to court, with only what we have seen so far, that she me be free to roam. Don't get me wrong, I think LE has done everything they could, and I believe she is guilty, but I don't think they can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

I believe if KC is found not guilty and sent back to the A's, this family will implode within a very short period. KC is not equiped to survive in society and CA will NEVER forgive her for what she has done. As I see it, KC is going to suffer no matter the outcome of this trial and CA will make sure of it.

Duh, I forgot about the check charges.

I just hope she never gets pregnant again. :(

If she is found NG, not only will the A's get the wrath of the public but so will the jurors. People have fallen in love with Caylee and are extremely emotionally involved in this case. Seeing how hated she is, how many angry protesters were at her house, and the amount of death threats her family has recieved, I would be scared to vote her NG as a juror knowing the heat I'd probably get as well..

As for the check charges, I fear she might get time served, especially if the trial doesn't begin until another year or two :(

On high priced lawyers:

Those with high-priced lawyers have a HUGE advantage, akin to playing poker with a guarantee that they will be the only one in the game with a wild card.

On justice for Caylee:

There will be justice for baby Caylee from her point of view. She doesn't want anyone hurt.

On our legal system:

Innocent until proven guilty is a good thing. It has to be balanced out though. IMO, the legal system is leaning more and more toward protecting the guilty. How many "extenuating circumstance diagnoses/reasons to withhold evidence" do we allow? Do we make it so lenient that 100 guilty people walk free to save one innocent? 1000? 10,000? That has to be balanced out against all the people who will suffer because we let the others go. How many lives will those others destroy, mentally or physically, to save the one.

Quitting now, I am starting to sound like a comic book! :wave:In my defense, Pattymarie started a very philosophical thread (awesome thread, btw).

IMO, the reasons for a Not Guilty verdict in this case would simply be that the prosecution did not present their case in a convincing enough way, were unable to get pertinent evidence admitted, or that JB and Co. lucked completely out. Based on what I have seen, right now it could be a toss-up to a jury, though I personally 100% think she's guilty as sin. It will be very hard for JB to get around the 31 days, the trunk/smell, and all the lies she told after it was discovered that Caylee was "missing."

I don't think it would say anything special about our system. Everybody gets their day in court. Some win, some lose. It's not always the correct verdict. In this case, I certainly hope Caylee wins.

What would ithis imply about 24/7 news, legal TV shows (i.e. JVM, NG and the like)
I'm not sure those shows will have a direct impact on the outcome of the case. It will definitely be a very interesting trial to watch, if it's broadcast that is. I hope I don't miss a minute. Personally, I like the JVM, NG shows, but they rarely have anything on that we haven't already heard.

IMO, nothing. Like TV, the internet is a great place for finding information--like here on WS. It's also a place where people can talk trash, like on another site that starts with a T and ends with an X, with little or no moderating. Many an unfounded rumor gets started on the internet. (duh). Surely the attorneys in this case will select a jury that is objective and honest.

My guess is KC would be up a creek without a paddle. Part of me wonders if she were to be found not guilty, would her family eventually abandon her. Like others here, though, I think they would all have to move way far away.

I think LE there has done a pretty good job, but ignoring the area back in August is practically unforgiveable. To me.

What could this imply about having a high priced legal team (though we still can't figure out who is paying for it)
To me, this is completely wrong for her to basically be indigent and have these people in her corner, experts and all. The average Joe from Miami doesn't get this kind of deal from lawyers. I've never heard of a lawyer taking a case, esp a felony case, on a "promise" of payment. (KC supposedly said she had 5 grand or close to it when she called Baez in the beginning.)Anyone I've ever heard of expects money up front. You can bet there's a ton of people all across the USA facing the DP who can only get the public defender.

Publicity pays. It's all about greed.

I hope so. I"m not sure she'l get convicted on murder 1 at this point, but I hope so. I hope she gets the max sentence for whatever charge they find her guilty of.

Do you think this could be a possibility?
Yes, yes indeed.

I've never even considered the possibility of a "not guilty" verdict, as I believe the prosecution is holding back solid evidence linking Casey to the crime. Some evidence that motivated the SA to put the DP back on the table. I can't see the SA doing this unless he has firm ground to stand on.

But, I'll give it a shot. If Casey were to be found "not guilty", she'd only be trading state prison for the prison of her own home or more likely, her parent's home. She has no friends, except for a few sad people who send money to her commissary account. She'd never be able to get a job, as her name and face are too readily identified in connection with the death of her daughter. No potential employer would risk hiring her. Casey has been exposed as a liar and a thief and I highly doubt anyone would be seriously interested in a book written by Casey telling how she didn't do the crime. The same goes for interviews. Casey would have no hope for a relationship with a man, for the same reasons - she's a liar and a thief, and in addition has established a pattern of promiscuity......not qualities a man looks for in a serious relationship.

Casey would be prosecuted for the theft charges, and whether or not she does any time for that crime, she would likely be placed on probation for a period of time, and have to comply with the terms of her probation. Since Casey has never been held responsible for her actions, I don't think she would do well under the thumb of a probation officer.

Life on the outside might prove to be more difficult than life in state prison for Casey.

On high priced lawyers:

Those with high-priced lawyers have a HUGE advantage, akin to playing poker with a guarantee that they will be the only one in the game with a wild card.

On justice for Caylee:

There will be justice for baby Caylee from her point of view. She doesn't want anyone hurt.

On our legal system:

Innocent until proven guilty is a good thing. It has to be balanced out though. IMO, the legal system is leaning more and more toward protecting the guilty. How many "extenuating circumstance diagnoses/reasons to withhold evidence" do we allow? Do we make it so lenient that 100 guilty people walk free to save one innocent? 1000? 10,000? That has to be balanced out against all the people who will suffer because we let the others go. How many lives will those others destroy, mentally or physically, to save the one.

Quitting now, I am starting to sound like a comic book! :wave:In my defense, Pattymarie started a very philosophical thread (awesome thread, btw).
(bold above by me)

This won't be strictly on topic. Sorry. You've pushed one of my 'hot buttons'.

I was going to chime in agreeing with tankgirl and spqr concerning the death penalty, because I feel very strongly on this issue. I won't bore everyone by going into detail. Short version...I'm not against the DP, but my standard of proof skyrockets when it is in play. I am personally convinced of KC's guilt, but were I on a jury, if the the DP were on the table, I would not convict on even the basis of the evidence I know through reading here and elsewhere, much less on what might be admissible in court.

My feelings on the subject can be read in my post here on this DP thread from some time ago. Please take the time to peruse.

The comment I have bolded in the quote above hits a similar sore point for me. I have great concerns about this sort of viewpoint.

I submit that the conviction and subsequent punishment of an innocent by our legal system is in itself a crime. Furthermore it is a crime which may be even more heinous because it is a crime committed in all of our names.

This isn't done in a social vacuum, and when we don't like the results we should not allow ourselves the coward's way out by pointing at some DA or judge or jury and saying that "they" did it.

WE did it.

No system is perfect. But the system we embrace, vote for, wave flags for, and worship with the mantra "it's the law" is our system. Do we move towards a more perfect system by condoning more erroneous convictions, or do we do it by striving for fewer?

In your post above you say, "IMO, the legal system is leaning more and more toward protecting the guilty."

I don't know that I agree. The media we are exposed to takes great delight in showcasing trials where a defendant has some sort of "dream team", sometimes even when such a team exists only in the medias' dreams. Most defendants have no such support, and the forces arrayed against them are stupendous by comparison to what they can marshal.

Ask yourself the question you ask above. Ask it this way though. Ask yourself, "How many innocents it is okay to punish in the effort to convict the guilty?" Answer after considering that one of those innocents might be a friend, or a family member, or even yourself.

I've heard it said that a liberal can sometimes be a conservative who's been arrested. Perhaps that may be a bit late for an epiphany about social justice and our legal system.

If such a verdict somehow or another is found, she'll join mom and dad and reap from the Caylee Foundation.
I do not think it will happen though. I believe with all the evidence she'll be found guilty of murder and sentenced to life.

<snip>
But, I'll give it a shot. If Casey were to be found "not guilty", she'd only be trading state prison for the prison of her own home or more likely, her parent's home. She has no friends, except for a few sad people who send money to her commissary account. She'd never be able to get a job, as her name and face are too readily identified in connection with the death of her daughter. No potential employer would risk hiring her. Casey has been exposed as a liar and a thief and I highly doubt anyone would be seriously interested in a book written by Casey telling how she didn't do the crime. The same goes for interviews. Casey would have no hope for a relationship with a man, for the same reasons - she's a liar and a thief, and in addition has established a pattern of promiscuity......not qualities a man looks for in a serious relationship.
<snip>
Life on the outside might prove to be more difficult than life in state prison for Casey.

I totally agree. Plus, wherever she went, she would have to watch her back. Someone, somewhere, would beat her to a pulp. I think if she goes free or if she gets put in genpop, either way she will be dead. (Sorry to be so cynical, but I live in a LE family - my poor stepkids, in addition to having a Dad who's a Captain, have 5 other cops in their family!)

This thread is for speculation of the possible ramifications if Casey is found Not Guilty.

Your thoughts? Do you think this could be a possibility?
The only reason I can think of for a possible not guilty verdict would be if the jury chose to use a standard of "beyond any iota of doubt" as opposed to "beyond reasonable doubt" - however, I would expect this to result in a hung jury as opposed to a not guilty verdict as I wouldn't expect them to have another OJ jury where all twelve change the standard.

The only things I have to say about what a not guilty verdict would say about our legal system, media, internet, LE, high profile cases, and high priced attorneys is that no system is perfect but overall I'm still a fan of ours.

As for what KC's life would look like in the event of a not guilty verdict - I agree with others who say she will spend time in jail - the question would be how much time. I don't think the theft charges would amount to much time but let's not forget the child neglect and endangerment charges. Even if KC was not convicted of murder she would be convicted of neglect which led to this precious little one's death for failing to report her missing for 31 days - I don't think she would get off with a slap on the wrist.

What can be said about the life of the Anthony's? Whether KC is convicted or not, they will some day have to come to terms with the fact that their daughter killed their granddaughter. They may continue to try to convince themselves otherwise for some time but eventually they will realize it and if KC is not convicted, they will also have to deal with their role in that as well.

What about justice for Caylee? Justice is the quality of being just or right or fair. There is nothing about what happened to Caylee that was just or right or fair and whether KC is convicted or not or sentenced to life or death or anything in between will still not bring justice for Caylee. I know we like to think it would, but it can't. Justice for Caylee would have been for her to be able to grow up in a loving nurturing family and live her life the way it was meant to be. The justice (what's right and fair) in our justice system is for society as a whole not for the individual victim. Caylee's justice must come from a higher authority and God alone will make things just and right and fair for her now.

As for whether or not I think that a not guilty verdict is possible - NO! Ok, I didn't think it was possible with OJ either. But I don't think the question here is whether or not KC is convicted of Caylee's death. I don't know whether they can get a conviction for 1st degree murder - from the evidence that I've seen so far, I'd have trouble voting for 1st degree. That isn't saying they don't have more and it isn't saying that I don't think KC did it. When they put the death penalty back on the table, many of us thought they had something really incriminating and when that didn't come out in the doc dump, many are getting nervous that there isn't enough to convict. I think there was enough to convict before - not reported missing for 31 days, lying to LE, smell of death in car, hair with deathband, laundry bag & other items from home, etc. I think she will be convicted even if there is no more evidence than what we have seen. But I also think there is more that caused them to put the DP back in the equation. We have to remember that the information we get in the doc dumps is released when they have to - not when they have it. FL laws dictate when and what LE releases and they are following those laws in the doc dumps. But I'm pretty sure that there are reports and documents that haven't yet been compiled or submitted so that they don't have to be included in the doc dumps just yet. So keep in mind that just because we don't have it yet, doesn't mean that LE doesn't have it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie