2 Year Old Joins Mensa Society

Okay, I know that you are not supposed to be jealous of a toddler but...Come On, a Mensa member at two? I don't think that I had even figured out not to eat my cat's food by that age...(I guess it is no wonder why I turned out to be a vegetarian!) I have not read the article yet, I'm off to do that now, but I hope this young child will have a well rounded life. Sometimes the hyper-intelligent children seem to miss out when too many expectations are placed on them, hopefully this will not be the case here.
ETA: I couldn't even get the spelling of Mensa right! Thank goodness for spellcheck and the recognition of proper nouns!

I've wondered about child genius. Unsolved Mysteries had a couple of children featured and I wish we'd know today if the IQ scores are still in the genius range as the children have grown up.

Sometimes I'm skeptical of the stories but I guess it's because there isn't often a lot of follow up?

What do all of you think? :blowkiss:

Boyz_Mum. I really don't put a lot of faith in IQ tests. I think, personally, that drive-ambition-focus and discipline have a lot more to do with success in life than IQ scores. I can say that because I have seen it in my own family with my brother. He scored very high as a child in grade school...long story. Higher IQ test results do not insure success in life. My Brother has never been able to connect much to others. He's personable but when it comes to finding a life partner he hasn't been able to make a connection on an intellectual level that so many of us do.

Now about the 2 yr olds of the world that score very high. We see them from time to time over the years and we never really do get followups, I agree. I've always been curious.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dpgo_youngest_mensa_society_member_lwf_0501092457435

Elise Tan Roberts from Edmonton, North London in Britain has an IQ of 156. Albert Einstein was believed to have an IQ of 160. The average IQ is 100. Elise can name 35 capital cities, identify the three types of triangle and recite the alphabet, according to the Times of London .

Well,I need to speak to Elise,because I had no idea there were three types of triangle. Or maybe I should speak to my nephew;when he was two or three years old we would quickly run down a column of fifteen numbers just at the top of our heads,and ask him to give us the total. He would give us the total almost instantly.We would all quickly run it through our calculators to see if he was correct. He always was.

Wow. I gotta say, though, that she might be some kind of savant. Seems a bit early in life to be able to tell. Anybody remember that guy in Great Britain, I think, who recited the number pi to something like 10000 decimal points? Amazing.

My opinion is that the child was taught certain concepts. Any kid can learn triangle names if you teach them. It is just like learning circle and square. The capitals is tough, but that is what the parents chose to teach. Of course, many kids at 2 can't learn all of those things, but I think a lot of kids could if that was their purpose in life. The parents are training them for Mensa...

And I thought MY son was a genius because he could read and was doing kindergarten workbooks at the age of 3, lol.

I hope and pray this little girl is given the opportunity to have a "balanced" life, and not an exploitative one. :blowkiss:

The big question I have is---How are her social skills? Does she have somewhat age-appropriate peers (not just adult 'peers')? Is there opportunity for her to just playplayplay and have fun like a typical child? Does she have balance?

JMO...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dpgo_youngest_mensa_society_member_lwf_0501092457435

Elise Tan Roberts from Edmonton, North London in Britain has an IQ of 156. Albert Einstein was believed to have an IQ of 160. The average IQ is 100. Elise can name 35 capital cities, identify the three types of triangle and recite the alphabet, according to the Times of London .

I don't hold much creedence in being a member of "mensa". My son at age 2 could tell you the diff between a triangle/square/circle/rectangle/star and a pentagon<---yes...a pentagon; recite his abc's and knew his primary colors.

My son also at age 2 was caught trying to sit (with clothes and shoes on) in the toilet to be like "Flushed Away".

Kids love to keep you guessing don't they?

Too many parents push their kids to be so blessed smart...
Generally speaking, those are the children that end up being scared of their own shadow or on top of a McDonald's with a 38 caliber. JMO :)

Parents need to teach their children they are loved and to be respectable, polite, loving, honest and sociable.

And I thought MY son was a genius because he could read and was doing kindergarten workbooks at the age of 3, lol.

Does your son still do well in his studies now that he's older? I would think my kids were geniuses too if they could read at 3! :) The earliest reader we have started at 4. I'm kind of embarrased to admit he taught himself to read. I was there with him, don't get me wrong, but for whatever reason, he picked up the reading part all by himself.

Does your son still do well in his studies now that he's older? I would think my kids were geniuses too if they could read at 3! :) The earliest reader we have started at 4. I'm kind of embarrased to admit he taught himself to read. I was there with him, don't get me wrong, but for whatever reason, he picked up the reading part all by himself.

I am proud to say that he does! :) He has been in the AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) program since 1st grade. When they tested him in 3rd grade, his grade equivalent for reading was 9.7. My 10 year old is also in the AIG program and does exceptionally well. My mom said that I pushed them to hard because I would only buy educational toys and I would ask them to spell cup when they wanted something to drink. But hey, I was proud that they could do it and I loved to show off.

I don't understand why you would put a 2-year-old in Mensa. What does Mensa offer this child - certainly not a place to play (which is what a child her age should be doing) with other like-minded 2-year-olds.....

This sounds like something the parents want, of course, but am I missing something - can this benefit the child in some way I am failing to see?

I just skipped ahead after the first two posts after the OP.

Pfffffttttt
on "gifted classes."

Emotional Intelligence is what matters. Kid's scroooed.

I am proud to say that he does! :) He has been in the AIG (academically and intellectually gifted) program since 1st grade. When they tested him in 3rd grade, his grade equivalent for reading was 9.7. My 10 year old is also in the AIG program and does exceptionally well. My mom said that I pushed them to hard because I would only buy educational toys and I would ask them to spell cup when they wanted something to drink. But hey, I was proud that they could do it and I loved to show off.

That is so wonderful! Our 3rd grader (the reader) is in waiting for the talented and gifted program- they have to set up his testing. We are all for the testing and the challenging programs because he really does well when he's challenged, if he's bored, he gets antsy.

How do you feel about the "advanced" program? Were there any drawbacks that you "felt"?

I don't think it's too pushy to ask them to spell words when asking for something, as you did. There are kids who enjoy the mind exercise, don't you think?:)

I just skipped ahead after the first two posts after the OP.

Pfffffttttt on "gifted classes."

Emotional Intelligence is what matters. Kid's scroooed.

Do you think gifted classes are bad for children? (I'm not into the Mensa gig for a 2 year old, just curious about what you feel about older children being tested for their intelligence.)

:blowkiss:

That is so wonderful! Our 3rd grader (the reader) is in waiting for the talented and gifted program- they have to set up his testing. We are all for the testing and the challenging programs because he really does well when he's challenged, if he's bored, he gets antsy.

How do you feel about the "advanced" program? Were there any drawbacks that you "felt"?

I don't think it's too pushy to ask them to spell words when asking for something, as you did. There are kids who enjoy the mind exercise, don't you think?:)

I love it! My kids are proud that they are a part of this program. They get to do so many interesting things. Like last year they went to an event where they got to be crime scene investigators. There were 3 crime scenes set up and they got to go through them and collect clues and analyze DNA and fingerprint suspects. They had a blast. And last week my oldest sons class did a career event where they went to see demonstrations at a local college and got to do a lot of hands on things. After attending my son came home all excited saying that he wanted to attend the Early College High School (a 5 yr hs where you also do college courses) so that he can graduate with an Associates Degree in Science and study biotechnology.

My son is like yours, he gets bored with just regular class work because he goes through it so quickly and then has nothing to do, so being pulled out of class for the AIG helps him a lot. I haven't really found any drawbacks yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back