722 users online (107 members and 615 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

J.A.B. & Florida Board's Response (full text)

More complete details from the Fla. Board of Examiners, regarding J.A.B.:

http://vlex.com/vid/florida-board-ba...e-j-b-20848525

I thought it deserved a thread of it's own, as it's very telling in the boards assesment of "J.A.B.", and his lack of respect for his child, his ex-wife, and the courts.

Mods feel free to move or delete if needed.

I think it's unfair to bring up JB's personal life in a career issue. Firstly, the child support system is very biased towards men. Alot of men pay cash for their kids and the system does not take that into consideration and alot of men pay child support and the spouse will not let them see the children.

Secondly, what does filing a pesonal bankruptcy and falling behind on your student loans have to do with being an attorney?

Our 42nd president did his job quite well although he received bj's from his intern.
    "She will be mutha of the year" Rick Anthony's response to Cindy

Phumi is offline Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL and Mulch Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchvixen View Post
    I think it's unfair to bring up JB's personal life in a career issue. Firstly, the child support system is very biased towards men. Alot of men pay cash for their kids and the system does not take that into consideration and alot of men pay child support and the spouse will not let them see the children.

Secondly, what does filing a pesonal bankruptcy and falling behind on your student loans have to do with being an attorney?

Our 42nd president did his job quite well although he received bj's from his intern.
    While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to be (then) and is now an officer of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumi View Post
    While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to (then) and is now an officer of the court.
    Thank you. You took the words right out of my fingers.

JEFF ASHTON AND LINDA DRANE-BURDICK ARE MY HEROES!!

Quote Originally Posted by debbie0604 View Post
    Thank you. You took the words right out of my fingers.
    LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phumi View Post
    While I understand your P.O.V, I think the relevance is his failure to comply with court orders and the finding that he was untruthful or less than candid in his official hearing. These are serious findings for someone who was seeking to (then) and is now an officer of the court.
    To me the relevance is whether his character is such that he is likely to, for example, give improper instructions to a P.I. about what to do if he finds a body.

Examination of a prospective lawyer's "personal life" is a normal part of the process of getting admitted. In Arizona and I think in most states, you are supposed to show that you have "good moral character" in order to get admitted. I personally tossed out my certificate of "good moral character" when we started seriously debating whether to let a confessed double murderer have a law license, but it sounds like Florida's State Bar would prefer that you not only refrain from murdering people but also act in a generally honorable way toward your family and the community.

Of course everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I do think the board's determination is significant, though b/c of the bolded part below.

<<We agree with the Board's recommendation and find that the proven instances of J.A.B.'s misconduct are sufficient in the aggregate to support denial of admission to the bar at this time. J.A.B.'s violation of the child support order, not only by failing to fully pay the child support owed but also by failing to obtain the required insurance coverage, shows a lack of respect for the rights of his daughter, the rights of his ex- wife, and a further lack of respect for the law and for the court order itself. Cf. Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re M.A.R., 755 So. 2d 89 (Fla. 2000); Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re E.R.M., 630 So. 2d 1046 (Fla. 1994).

Quote Originally Posted by AZlawyer View Post
    To me the relevance is whether his character is such that he is likely to, for example, give improper instructions to a P.I. about what to do if he finds a body.

Examination of a prospective lawyer's "personal life" is a normal part of the process of getting admitted. In Arizona and I think in most states, you are supposed to show that you have "good moral character" in order to get admitted. I personally tossed out my certificate of "good moral character" when we started seriously debating whether to let a confessed double murderer have a law license, but it sounds like Florida's State Bar would prefer that you not only refrain from murdering people but also act in a generally honorable way toward your family and the community.
    I agree. I think in general the findings of the board showed that he had a disregard for the law and the authority of the court.

Wow, Now we know why he thought Casey stealing from Amy was a pointless charge and how little respect he truly has for the legal system.
    I guess all of the "compelling reasons" he will show for Casey failing to report her daughter missing are similar to his " compelling" reasons for not paying child support, writing worthless checks, assault and defaulting on bills!
    These people on this case are truly a bunch of Lunatics!

Quote Originally Posted by Capri View Post
    Of course everybody's entitled to their own opinion. I do think the board's determination is significant, though b/c of the bolded part below.

<<We agree with the Board's recommendation and find that the proven instances of J.A.B.'s misconduct are sufficient in the aggregate to support denial of admission to the bar at this time. J.A.B.'s violation of the child support order, not only by failing to fully pay the child support owed but also by failing to obtain the required insurance coverage, shows a lack of respect for the rights of his daughter, the rights of his ex- wife, and a further lack of respect for the law and for the court order itself. Cf. Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re M.A.R., 755 So. 2d 89 (Fla. 2000); Florida Bd. of Bar Examiners re E.R.M., 630 So. 2d 1046 (Fla. 1994).
    That little quote says it all ..

Quote Originally Posted by twomanywords View Post
    Wow, Now we know why he thought Casey stealing from Amy was a pointless charge and how little respect he truly has for the legal system.
    I guess all of the "compelling reasons" he will show for Casey failing to report her daughter missing are similar to his " compelling" reasons for not paying child support, writing worthless checks, assault and defaulting on bills!
    These people on this case are truly a bunch of Lunatics!

They sure are

His character has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT!

If you are not repulsed by what Clinton did.... I don't think I will convince you. For your edification, his trustworthiness and respect for the law are bare minimum requirements, to be an Officer of the Court which entails doing much on your honor. You have a poor understanding of the seriousness of paying child support and meeting your court ordered responsibilities. One doesn't get to claim they paid in cash, with no documentation. He knew to do it correctly and have proof. If you research the statistics, you will find that you are way off base here. Someone not being paid their child support does not allow them by law to refuse visitation, and they can be held in contempt of court for doing so. Believe me Baez understands all of these matters well. If you cannot run your own check book, how are you going to run a defense of someone whose freedom is on the line? It is ludicrous, of course he should have been denied.

When a lawyer's ethics can be suspect, it is easier for people to later claim that he was paid secretly in a media deal (and had motive to not plea the case out, but let it go to a protracted trial), and so many other things. The lawyer is supposed to be the epitome of law and order and lead a life that is beyond reproach. PS. Divorces are public record, filing a bankruptcy is public, and certainly defaulting on student loans in public. He absolutely knew the day he entered college that everything he did from that day forward would remain with him, and he would be judged on it by the bar, so this in itself shows a random disregard that is baffling, since it is self sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by Capri View Post

This certainly explains to me even more why the SA's office is so concerned about where JB's payments for KC's defense are coming from. Their concern is very well founded, even more so than I previously thought.

capri I really appreciate the chance to read the entire finding...thanks so much for posting.
    I do think this situation is similar to LE and other law related individuals in that we hold those people to a higher standard. Or we should anyhow...
    I think this Board Reponse proves some of JAB's moral fortitude. I would not want him for my lawyer, but I think that birds of a feather flock together. He has his dream client, and she has her perfect match for an attorney. IMO

Failing to maintain health insurance for his daughter Writing one worthless check & then 2 more after he was gainfully employed

"A leopard doesn't change it's spots"

"There are two kinds of fools: those who can't change their opinions, and those who won't" ..... Josh Billings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast