1312 users online (216 members and 1096 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

First US patient gets face transplant

Surgeons have replaced 80% of a woman's face, transplanting bone, teeth, muscle and nerve in the first such operation in the United States.

They said the woman suffered severe trauma that cost her an eye, much of her nose and her upper jaw and left her unable to breathe, smell, taste or smile properly.

"You need a face to face the world," Dr Maria Siemionow, director of plastic surgery research at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, where the operation was performed, told a news conferenc

Picture at link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090506/...ace_transplant

I was just reading about this on yahoo! It's so wonderful that surgeons are so skilled to perform a face transplant successfully! A miracle for people to be able to leave their homes and not be ridiculed.
    "The cure for crime is not the electric chair, but the high chair."

-J. Edgar Hoover

This is a true advancement for the medical world. What a miracle for the patient. I'm so happy to read about this. She now has another chance at a life. This is just amazing.

Thanks for the post

Always
    Gozgals

Omg! That is amazing & wonderful! Thank you for posting. Hope her recovery goes well- she's been thru SO much already.

Her nose is perfect! The surgeons did an incredible job. I can't imagine not having a nose to breathe and smell with. How wonderful to get that back. I wish her all the best!

Such a wonderful thing to see! Can you imagine what's in store for others over the next few years as this surgery advances? Absolutely incredible.

It IS amazing. Who would have ever thought, even five years ago, that this would be possible. I'm so glad the surgeons were able to help this lady. It looks like they've really done a good job too if the picture is only two weeks after the surgery. I'm sure she still has some swelling.

I wonder though, how it affects the patient when they look in the mirror. Sure, they're happy they no longer have to hide, but does it bother them that they no longer look like themselves; that they possibly look just like someone else?

It is amazing. I hope with this case, doctors are able to go forward and utilize the knowledge to help in other cases where people are disfigured (burns, accidents, etc...)

I am praying this lady has happy years ahead of her, she's an inspiration.

truly amazing what they can do these days medically and surgically. I have to wonder why the animal husband of hers only got seven years - doesn't seem right at all.
    This too shall pass

What she originally looked like:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoo...7511337&page=2

It looks so strange to me. Amazing medical feat although far from perfected. I have a hard time when I see what she looked like originally - to her new face.

But happy for her that she can have more of a life now with this surgery. Congrats to the docs.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyCake View Post
    What she originally looked like:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoo...7511337&page=2

It looks so strange to me. Amazing medical feat although far from perfected. I have a hard time when I see what she looked like originally - to her new face.

But happy for her that she can have more of a life now with this surgery. Congrats to the docs.
    I agree with you. She saw and heard her on one of the morning news shows. She said, "I am not a monster". How sad!

Quote Originally Posted by cinsbythesea View Post
    truly amazing what they can do these days medically and surgically. I have to wonder why the animal husband of hers only got seven years - doesn't seem right at all.
    I have to wonder too why his sentence was so short. He really is a monster this man.

I read she forgave him. I hope she did not take him back. What a tough lady and to forgive a monster takes a lot of guts. I admire her.

Always
    Gozgals

Sadly I did hear a report on the Tele. that she was considering taking him back! Can't verify that, just heard it and thought, what????

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Sadly I did hear a report on the Tele. that she was considering taking him back! Can't verify that, just heard it and thought, what????

I hope that's a rumor. Someone shoots you in the face with a shotgun, destroying your face and putting you through years of pain, and you take him back. Say it ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

I caught the tale end of an old interview with her before her new face...she said she will always love him and didn't want to answer questions about what will happen when he is released from prison.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast