CT - Johanna Justin-Jinich, 21, slain at Wesleyan bookstore, 6 May 2009 *Insanity*

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Middletown Police are investigating a 1 p.m. shooting at Broad Street Books, the Wesleyan University Bookstore and Café at 45 Broad Street.

The female victim had multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to Middlesex Hospital, according to Middletown Police Lt. Margaret Liseo. It is not known whether she is an employee or customer. No motive has been determined yet for the shooting.

Liseo said police are searching for one suspect, described as a tall white male with a lanky build. A wig and a handgun were recovered at the scene, she said, though it is not known whether the handgun was the weapon used in the shooting.

Much of the area around the bookstore has been blocked off, and police anticipate it will be blocked for several hours.

Working with the Board of Education and Police locked down all the neighboring schools and Wesleyan University, said Liseo, “as an absolute precaution.”

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2009/05/06/announcements/doc4a01db78636c5259635443.txt

I just heard on CNN Headline News that the woman has died. Police are bringing in K9 dogs and crime scene techs, as well as a Street Crimes Unit.

How awful. When will this kind of thing end?

Prayer's to the family of this woman. Before she passed away, news reports say she didn't recognize the gunman.

Since LE says they weren't sure if the woman was an employee or customer, I'm guessing a customer could also be a young student on campus. Either way I wonder if she was targeted or if it was a random shooting.

These stories frighten me, as I have two away in college. Hope they capture the murderer soon.

HLN news update just now:

Victim was employee at bookstore and boyfriend is considered a suspect. Still watching it....

Prayer's to the family of this woman. Before she passed away, news reports say she didn't recognize the gunman.

Since LE says they weren't sure if the woman was an employee or customer, I'm guessing a customer could also be a young student on campus. Either way I wonder if she was targeted or if it was a random shooting.

These stories frighten me, as I have two away in college. Hope they capture the murderer soon.

Bolded by me.

I'm thinking she may not have recognized the gunman because he was wearing a wig and maybe disguising his appearance in other ways. It was reported there was a wig found at the scene.

Bolded by me.

I'm thinking she may not have recognized the gunman because he was wearing a wig and maybe disguising his appearance in other ways. It was reported there was a wig found at the scene.

Right the wig would disquise the man. I'll bet first thing detectives looked into was whether or not this victim had a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. Could be they solved this pretty quickly. We'll see I guess on the evening news.

Right the wig would disquise the man. I'll bet first thing detectives looked into was whether or not this victim had a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. Could be they solved this pretty quickly. We'll see I guess on the evening news.

To me, the fact that a wig was found makes it sound premeditated. I don't know why someone like a boyfriend wouldn't wait to just kill her at home, if he really wanted her dead. It seems weird that he would wait until she was at a bookstore to walk in and open fire. But, I agree..the police will always look into the boyfriends and exboyfriends first.

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (CBS) News

Clipped:

A Wesleyan University student was shot and killed at a book store and cafe near the school's Middletown campus on Wednesday, school officials confirmed. The campus has been locked down as a result.

An emergency e-mail was sent to students notifying them of the incident, which took place at the Red and Black Café inside the Broad Street Book Store at 45 Broad Street. Officials say a handgun was recovered at the scene, though the suspect was still at large.

The victim has been identified as Johanna Justin-Jinich.

A police source told a CBS affiliate that police know the identity of the gunman. He's said to be Justin-Jinich's ex-boyfriend, who came into the bookstore wearing a wig and shot her point-blank.

Clipped from yahoo news:

Wesleyan suspect targeting school, Jews

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Police urged students at Wesleyan University to stay locked in their dorms, and city's only synagogue was shut down, as authorities said a man wanted in the bookstore shooting death of a Wesleyan student had threatened the woman years before, and may now be targeting the school and Jews.

Police urged university students and local Jewish leaders to be "extra vigilant" while they sought 29-year-old Stephen Morgan. Investigators believe that Morgan disguised himself with a wig and shot 21-year-old Johanna Justin-Jinich, a junior from Timnath, Colo., at her job at a cafe inside Broad Street Books, a popular bookstore.

Justin-Jinich was Jewish. Evidence "suggests that Mr. Morgan may be focused on the Wesleyan University campus as well as the Jewish community," Middletown Police Chief Lynn Baldoni Baldoni said at a news conference Thursday. "Investigators have been in contact with Wesleyan University and leaders of the Jewish community, urging both to be extra vigilant."

Here is a picture of Stephen Morgan.
According to the police press conference this morning, he has ties to New York, Colorado, and Massachusetts. An APB has been issued for him.

Attachments

• stephen_morgan.jpg
    stephen_morgan.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 12
From the Wesleyan Campus Security Updates page:

http://www.wesleyan.edu/newsrel/security/

May. 7, 2009 by David Pesci
Update 10:00 a.m. 5-7-09

We have been informed by Middletown Police of new evidence about the suspect in yesterday’s shooting. Although he apparently had a direct link to the victim but no other connection to the Wesleyan community, we have now been made aware that he expressed threats in his personal journals toward Wesleyan and/or its Jewish students. All students are urged to remain vigilant and to stay indoors. Additional security has been deployed accordingly.

We will continue to work with authorities to ensure the safety of students on campus, and there will be increased patrols by Wesleyan Public Safety Officers and Middletown Police. At this time we continue to believe that the safest place for students is in their residences and we will provide additional information as it becomes available.

Video of a press conference held this morning can be seen here: http://www.courant.com/video/?slug=hc-wesleyan-shooting-video-wn

This victim was from the town I live in (Fort Collins, Colorado). The news report said she was from Timnath (a tiny little place at the edge of Fort Collins). She was the daughter of two physicians. The local Fort Collins newspaper can be found at www.coloradoan.com. This is so sad.

Justin-Jinich and Morgan were both enrolled in a six-week summer course at New York University in 2007, said NYU spokesman John Beckman.

Both were residents in student housing during the program, but were not in the same residence hall, Beckman said.

While at NYU, Justin-Jinich filed a harassment complaint with the university’s Public Safety Department, saying she had been receiving harassing phone calls and emails from Morgan.

"The Public Safety Department brought in the NYPD, and initial conversations were conducted with each person by the police," Beckman said. "Ultimately, after attempts to follow-up with Ms. Justin-Jinich about pursuing the matter, she declined to pursue the case."

A 2007 New York City police report obtained by the Associated Press says Morgan told Justin-Jinich in an e-mail that she was "going to have a lot more problems down the road."

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2009/05/07/news/doc4a02ec99db43b052055516.txt

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back