Fire in Santa Barbara (again)

Thanks for this information, shana. I received an email from a cousin who probably just lost her house in that fire. The last report that she has was that her neighbor's house was gone and that her back fence was on fire. That was yesterday. She and her husband, new baby and dog all got out safely, though, so that is something to be thankful about.

You're most welcome, Cypros. I'm sorry to read about your cousin and her family, but certainly glad to know they were able to evacuate in time.

Fire officials are not putting a number on the houses destroyed so far but local reporters say 16, primarily in the Mission Canyon area including Tunnel Rd/Spyglass.

You're most welcome, Cypros. I'm sorry to read about your cousin and her family, but certainly glad to know they were able to evacuate in time.

Fire officials are not putting a number on the houses destroyed so far but local reporters say 16, primarily in the Mission Canyon area including Tunnel Rd/Spyglass.

Shana, I just received word that the news about my cousin's house was mistaken. Their neighbor was there and saved their house along with his own by watering them down. They were very lucky.

My thoughts for those who have not been so lucky....

Dozens of homes lost last night (all they will say, "not hundreds")...

but now, the later-arriving sundowners have pushed the fire to the west, towards Goleta...fast-moving and very frightening.

More updates later (as long as my power stays-on...iffy).

Cypros, so happy to read your good news!

Thanks to all for your thoughts & prayers.

The weather change contributed greatly to the firefighters' efforts over the weekend. The Jesusita Fire was 55% contained as of Sunday morning and is expected to be fully contained by Wednesday. Further stats here:

Indy link

Also, this news on the fire's cause:

[From County JIC release] Fire investigators have confirmed the Jesusita fire origin is adjacent to the Jesusita Trail, commonly accessed from the San Roque or Tunnel Road areas.

The fire cause appears related to the use of power tool equipment involved in vegetation clearance. Fire investigators are requesting public assistance with identification of the person or persons engaged in vegetation clearance on Monday, May 4th, and Tuesday, May 5th, 2009. The unidentified persons are known to have been on the trail between 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on both days.

:furious:

Let's see...who would NOT want to call 911 if they were clearing vegetation from a wild area when a power tool sparked? jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back