Steve Thomas Update 2009

“when a chance arrow of history scores a perfect bullseye on a deserving target”

Don't think we can't read between THOSE lines!

I would have waited an eternity for this.

Does anyone know of an e-mail address for Steve Thomas or just a line somewhere you can thank him for all the hard work he did. IMO, he was the one person in the law enforcement community that really cared about justice for JonBenet. In case he reads this, many thanks for trying so hard Mr Thomas. I hope you are doing well.

Does anyone know of an e-mail address for Steve Thomas or just a line somewhere you can thank him for all the hard work he did. IMO, he was the one person in the law enforcement community that really cared about justice for JonBenet. In case he reads this, many thanks for trying so hard Mr Thomas. I hope you are doing well.

There used to be a "contact Steve" link on that website. While I have his
e-mail address, I would never give it out without his permission. It has been a while since we last corresponded. But I am sure he "visits" us here and FFJ, so we can express our thanks to him here, and hopefully he will check in and know how much we appreciate all he did and all he tried to do.

“when a chance arrow of history scores a perfect bullseye on a deserving target”

Don't think we can't read between THOSE lines!

I would have waited an eternity for this.

So would I......

You nailed it perfectly regarding reading between the lines....and I noticed that he did not say a thing about his thoughts changing any on Who Did It!
:woohoo:

I realize it would not be a good idea for people to just give out an email address.I am sorry if I seemed too pushy. I was just hoping that he reads over hear sometime.

I realize it would not be a good idea for people to just give out an email address.I am sorry if I seemed too pushy. I was just hoping that he reads over hear sometime.

Please, no need to apologize. You were not being too pushy at all. I am sure there are many people who would like to tell him how they feel. No matter how much he may have wanted, he will never fully be free of this case- it haunts him too much, as I am sure it does all who truly tried to get justice for this little girl.

Does anyone know of an e-mail address for Steve Thomas or just a line somewhere you can thank him for all the hard work he did.

i too have an email address for steve (we corresponded a while back)... not sure if it's still valid but i'd be happy to forward your remarks to him if you'd like to post them here or PM me. of course, if others do not think this is a good idea, i will quickly apologize and take back the offer.

i'm surprised the "contact steve" link has been removed. maybe he was flooded w/ mail and it was too much for him?

It's safe to assume that there is a reason why Steve shared on the Internet...... so any words of support will more than likely make their way to Steve's heart....which is a pretty big one in my opinion, so let's keep filling it for him!!! :woohoo:

Thank YOU, Steve Thomas!!!

:bow: :thumb: :U There: :bowdown:

Oooh. Lovely to be reminded that there is still some greatness in the world...

I am very disappointed. As we have seen through the years, a cop like ST with no homicide experience can leave a case very damaged to the point the truth may never be known. I know I'm in the minority here so please don't feel the need to flame. I just never believed he was credible or that his desires and personal beliefs did not influence his investigating techniques. I only want the truth. I see flaws on both sides, mind you, but bigger flaws in the BPD.

I have nothing but respect for Steve Thomas. I've always admired him for taking a stand for JonBenet, while JonBenet's parents did just the opposite.

I am very disappointed. As we have seen through the years, a cop like ST with no homicide experience can leave a case very damaged to the point the truth may never be known. I know I'm in the minority here so please don't feel the need to flame. I just never believed he was credible or that his desires and personal beliefs did not influence his investigating techniques. I only want the truth. I see flaws on both sides, mind you, but bigger flaws in the BPD.

We all know this was not a perfect investigation by any means. But Lou Smit also was influenced by his personal and religious beliefs when it came to the Rs, as was Lacy; that was damaging as well. I believe that ST was one of the few who truly started out neutral- he went where the evidence led him. Unfortunately, it led him to the parents. He had no agenda. I cannot say the same for the DA's office. Their agenda from Day One was to deflect all suspicion from the parents, even if the evidence contradicted it. The defense team also had an agenda- which JR freely admitted. Their agenda was to keep the Rs out of jail (not to prove them innocent). Big difference.

We all know this was not a perfect investigation by any means. But Lou Smit also was influenced by his personal and religious beliefs when it came to the Rs, as was Lacy; that was damaging as well. I believe that ST was one of the few who truly started out neutral- he went where the evidence led him. Unfortunately, it led him to the parents. He had no agenda. I cannot say the same for the DA's office. Their agenda from Day One was to deflect all suspicion from the parents, even if the evidence contradicted it. The defense team also had an agenda- which JR freely admitted. Their agenda was to keep the Rs out of jail (not to prove them innocent). Big difference.

Bravo! Gold Star Post here! :star2:

There is a massive sense of frustration, Ziggy, with many aspects of this case and ST himself has pointed out various errors made by the BPD - in fact, the early parts of his book pretty much catalogue the BPD's errors. However, I really think the lack of homicide experience is something of a red herring in this case. Firstly, as far as I know, people thought he was an amazing cop generally and, but for the special circumstances of the Ramsey case, that he might have gone on to be one of the great detectives. Secondly, against a backdrop of refusals to issue search warrants for really elementary things, I think Columbo himself might have struggled a tad to bring this case to court.

I don't know where others stand on this, but for me, the investigation is only part of the ST story. A normal, flawed person living a normal, flawed life putting his neck on the block and risking many of the things he holds dear for a principle is, to me`at least, the definition of heroism and gallantry.

Why Steve Thomas wasn't brought up on civil rights violations is beyond me. Regardless if the Ramseys were guilty or innocent, he had no business sneaking in the dark to meet with the Vanity Fair reporter, to smear the Ramseys in the public arena. He was part of an ongoing investigation. He had a potential contract with one of the TV news shows if the Ramseys were indicted. In my opinion, he was a Fuhrman wannabee.

He came into the investigation with baggage against the DA's office.....and he had blinders on. It's not the first time a cop gets something in his mind and nothing will change it.....he should have been pulled off the case when it was obvious he was having health problems, and couldn't be impartial.

There were red flags that he could be overzealous, on two occasions where he shot someone in trying to break up an altercation.

He wanted to be judge and jury, and didn't care about working within the system. We don't need cops like that, and the one good thing he did was resign and hopefully get out of a position of trust where he could ruin peoples lives.

I think I'll dig out his book, and the Vanity Fair article, and start a thread on his great work on the case.

I do think somewhere in his case files, he had the right tip---that was one of the hundreds that were discarded.

Lou Smit when asked about his religious beliefs when it came to the Ramseys said he's put Christians in jail. What Lou Smit did, and what is his forte, is organizing case files, and review the evidence. He went into the case believing the parents did it. Steve Thomas belittled Lou Smit, when it became obvious Lou wouldn't be part of the Ramseys did it gang. Gee, a cop with no homicide experience compared to Lou Smit's reputation of solving cold cases. Lou very methodically looked at the evidence and put together a plausible case for an intruder. Lou Smt said based on his experience most crimes are what they appear to be, and I believe that is the case in the murder of JonBenet. If it's ever solved, it won't be that sensational---a kidnapping gone bad by amateurs.

There were red flags that he could be overzealous, on two occasions where he shot someone in trying to break up an altercation.

He wanted to be judge and jury, and didn't care about working within the system. We don't need cops like that, and the one good thing he did was resign and hopefully get out of a position of trust where he could ruin peoples lives.

I think I'll dig out his book, and the Vanity Fair article, and start a thread on his great work on the case.

I do think somewhere in his case files, he had the right tip---that was one of the hundreds that were discarded.

Are you attempting to rewrite history or just play semantic games?

http://www.forstevethomas.com/stevehistory.htm

"After two officer-involved shootings, Thomas also instructed on surviving critical incidents. Prior to the Ramsey case, Thomas worked on a multi-state task force investigating racketeering and organized crime that resulted in numerous grand jury indictments."

Maikai, I know this info is available somewhere in the JBR Internet community but is it known whether Smit got his first homicide case totally correct? I know there's a list somewhere (FFJ, I think) of cases which he failed to solve. Certainly, with exactly the same info as ST had, he has come no closer to an arrest and, despite his much-vaunted experience, has allowed his name to be connected to Mills and Tracey whose documentaries have made innuendoes against dead people and at least one known-to-be-innocent living person so I think comparing him favourably to ST on ethical grounds may be a bit unfair. I will try to find these lists this evening. Someone may corrdct me, but I thought that it was known that Smit had given sensitive case information to people outside the investigation? Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, I thought ST was given some sort of silver/gold gong for one shooting and the 'victim' in the other case begged him to put him out of his misery (I'm pretty certain there's an interview on the Internet about that). I mean, you've always got to take a sideways look at police shootings but I thought ST's were pretty much text book? Again, I'll try to find the interview in a bit.

Maikai, I am rushing around a bit but I think this is the interview I meant (just Googled it and identified it from the mists of time so I'm not 100%certain it's the right one: I'll check later. Nonetheless, it's pretty hard to see anything here that is redolent of dodgy policing.....).

http://www.westword.com/2000-10-19/news/justice-boulder-style/1

(PS. Happy Weekend BTW :) )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth