1230 users online (265 members and 965 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    260

    Talking Rep Jim Moran hopes to get Viagra Cialis and other ED commercials off regular TV

    Erectile dysfunction ads too hot for TV?

    Rep Jim Moran D-VA hopes to get Viagra Cialis and other ED commercials off regular TV
    http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/0...oo-hot-for-tv/



    It is awkward when your kids ask what Erectile Dysfunction is while they are watching Cartoon Network.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Oh, good. 'Cause it's not like the country has any real problems that need to be addressed.

    I think there is an age-appropriate answer for any kid who asks about ED, and parents may as well get the practice: there are far more embarrassing questions coming.

    (ETA: Welcome to WS, Raelon! I'm sorry. I would have used a less confrontational tone if I'd realized you're a new poster.

    I do understand your point and I don't blame you for not wanting to turn every TV program into a sex ed discussion. But I'm not a fan of government censorship, because I don't trust Moran or anyone else to decide what I should see.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Oh, good. 'Cause it's not like the country has any real problems that need to be addressed.

    I think there is an age-appropriate answer for any kid who asks about ED, and parents may as well get the practice: there are far more embarrassing questions coming.

    (ETA: Welcome to WS, Raelon! I'm sorry. I would have used a less confrontational tone if I'd realized you're a new poster.

    I do understand your point and I don't blame you for not wanting to turn every TV program into a sex ed discussion. But I'm not a fan of government censorship, because I don't trust Moran or anyone else to decide what I should see.)
    No problem. I totally agree. I am not for censorship either and there are greater issues to deal with.

    But it would be nice to not have too see these commercials in the rare instances I have time to watch TV, it seems they dominate every channel.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL- hope you like drugs and guns.
    Posts
    1,047
    Are the tampon and Vagisil commercials next?

    My husband hopes so.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Loves Lurking View Post
    Are the tampon and Vagisil commercials next?

    My husband hopes so.
    Hopefully it will be the Valtrex Genital Herpes one :bananapowerslide:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by RAELON View Post
    No problem. I totally agree. I am not for censorship either and there are greater issues to deal with.

    But it would be nice to not have too see these commercials in the rare instances I have time to watch TV, it seems they dominate every channel.
    And it only gets worse if you stay up and channel flip in the middle of the night.

    Do we have a law against being repetitive and boring? Maybe we should...

    (ETA: Oops! Never mind. I'd probably be the first one arrested, just for my WS posts!)


  7. #7
    gaia227's Avatar
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,742
    I think instead of getting rid of them all together they should be put in a more appropriate time slot during adult tv shows.
    I know they show them during Adult Swim on Cartoon Network but Adult Swim is targeting an adult audience and it doesn't start until ten. I don't know if they are on other time on CTV cuz the only time I watch is during Adult Swim. But yeah, I can see getting rid of them in certain time slots like if they are showing them during SpongeBob Squarepants or the like.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    I'm glad. There used to be a time where adult material was confined to late night TV, but with cable everything is spread out for anyone to see any time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    883
    Maybe it should be a more uniform law, such as all Rx medication advertisements *period* are not allowed on air. I'm sick of all of them and I'm not sure they do potential patients any good. It would be more of a public safety law than a censorship law.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    BuzzieCat, I have thought this as well. I consider myself sort of an average person, and most of the time I have no clue what the meds are for. I imagine that if I am sick and need meds, my doctor will point me in the right direction.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    I don't think this is something the government needs to waste their time on, but damn I wish the networks would self-police this crap.

    I love watching West Wing and L&O reruns while I fold laundry or sew. For the most part they are pretty tame and would be fine for my older kids to watch. Unfortunately since they are on late at night (I TiVo them) the commercials are CRAP! Everything from Girls Gone Wild to the "personal massager" to phone sex hotlines. Even fast forwarding through them is not sufficient censorship for their age.

    And then watching sports with my kids has become a challenge in channel changing, between the ED commercials and the rapidly deteriorating content of beer ads.

    Is that the only thing that sells these days? Grow up people!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,687
    Tampon commercials are something that every woman may use as part of a natural body function. Tampons, although having to do with a certain body part, are not sexual. There is a vast difference between tampons and ED medication. IMO. I do think the penis enlargement pill commericals are the most obnoxious, at least some of the ED commericials are somewhat comical. BTW--I love your doggie and baby avatar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Loves Lurking View Post
    Are the tampon and Vagisil commercials next?

    My husband hopes so.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    On a serious note, this drives me crazy - I have to watch TV with the remote in my hand, ready to channel jump at any second to spare unwelcome questions from my dd.

    But, I have long maintained that the millions of dollars spent on ED drug ads and "male enhancement product" commercials are being wasted unnecessarily. I mean, come on, let's be honest. Wouldn't most men you know, if faced with ... uh ...erm... performance issues?... spend every free moment they had searching high and low for products to improve their performance? Come on, drug companies and all - buy a clue! This stuff sells itself!!!
    Last edited by Cynical Suz; 05-07-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Saving the world one act of random destruction at a time

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Loves Lurking View Post
    Are the tampon and Vagisil commercials next?

    My husband hopes so.
    And add "The pads with wings". God, I used to die of embarrasement everytime one of those commercials came on and you'd be sitting watching TV with the opposite sex. Especially if you were hanging out with a new guy.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    BuzzieCat, I have thought this as well. I consider myself sort of an average person, and most of the time I have no clue what the meds are for. I imagine that if I am sick and need meds, my doctor will point me in the right direction.
    Well heck, after hearing the obligatory disclaimer about the side effects and warnings, I vow to never take the medication they are advertising.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast