Sent to collections for a rape kit??

believe09

Reaction score
Women are being revictimized in TX because of ER visits associated with sexual assault-the Crime Victims Compensation fund is flush with cash, while women are receiving calls from bill collectors for expenses incurred as a result of being RAPED...some of the cases include ones with CONVICTED perps.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/19400415/detail.html

:mad::mad::mad:

Women are being revictimized in TX because of ER visits associated with sexual assault-the Crime Victims Compensation fund is flush with cash, while women are receiving calls from bill collectors for expenses incurred as a result of being RAPED...some of the cases include ones with CONVICTED perps.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/19400415/detail.html

:mad::mad::mad:

And the reason the rapist isn't held responsible is ????? :banghead::banghead:

What I found infinitely irritating about the story other than the obvious was the talking head's "not my fault, it's the law, blame the legislature" response. Not a simple, "Huh, your right-we will check it out and take care of it immediately. Please have anyone experiencing this re-submit the bills right away."

I-D-I-O-T.

What I found infinitely irritating about the story other than the obvious was the talking head's "not my fault, it's the law, blame the legislature" response. Not a simple, "Huh, your right-we will check it out and take care of it immediately. Please have anyone experiencing this re-submit the bills right away."

I-D-I-O-T.

There are some things I'm not understanding.

If the kit is necessary for evidence in a rape trial, why is the victim's name released to a collection agency?

And if the kit/processing is required in order to obtain evidence in a criminal case, why is the cost of it placed on the victim? Do they charge for materials/processing required to obtain evidence in all cases?

There are some things I'm not understanding.

If the kit is necessary for evidence in a rape trial, why is the victim's name released to a collection agency?

And if the kit/processing is required in order to obtain evidence in a criminal case, why is the cost of it placed on the victim? Do they charge for materials/processing required to obtain evidence in all cases?

If someone is a crime victim and is hospitalized/seen in the ER, there is a hierarchy when it comes to processing the bills...patient insurance is first and foremost. Most insurance companies will not pay for rape kits because local PD or crime victims comp funds will pay for the expenses associated with them...stands to reason since they are needed to prosecute the perp.

If the insurance companies wont pay and the bill is denied by the crime victim comp funds...well then off to collections you go these days-typically before two billing cycles pass.

AK has had similar press regarding the processing of rape kits-there are several juridictions that refuse to pay. One of the towns had a former GOP running mate as it's mayor.

Heartwarming....and why is rape an under reported crime you wonder???

So let me get this straight.......(god forbid)....I am in Texas, I am raped and beaten, kidnapped, held at gunpoint, but manage to escape alive but very much in a trauma state.

Then when I am rescued or escape, LE takes me to ER, where I am a victim of a crime. Then of course a rape kit is done, then ME, I amd going to be charged for the rape kit and processing. When it will bu used in court to convict the person who harmed me. Then thank goodness the person is sent away for many years. Ring, Ring, Hello this is XYZ collection agency, we are looking for payment for a bill for a "procedure" that was done on a specific date.

Oh, you mean the rape kit.....you see I am a victim of a crime, I am a rape victim and it "feels" that by phoning me, not only are you putting me into a trauma state again, but now you want me to pay.

Oh I forgot, George Bush's state, now I understand. The States need Universal Health care and then things like this will not happen.

So let me get this straight.......(god forbid)....I am in Texas, I am raped and beaten, kidnapped, held at gunpoint, but manage to escape alive but very much in a trauma state.

Then when I am rescued or escape, LE takes me to ER, where I am a victim of a crime. Then of course a rape kit is done, then ME, I amd going to be charged for the rape kit and processing. When it will bu used in court to convict the person who harmed me. Then thank goodness the person is sent away for many years. Ring, Ring, Hello this is XYZ collection agency, we are looking for payment for a bill for a "procedure" that was done on a specific date.

Oh, you mean the rape kit.....you see I am a victim of a crime, I am a rape victim and it "feels" that by phoning me, not only are you putting me into a trauma state again, but now you want me to pay.

Oh I forgot, George Bush's state, now I understand. The States need Universal Health care and then things like this will not happen.

I think I love you, lol-I lived in TX when GB2 was running it-the state ranked 48th for education and healthcare, especially for children...just the facts, not making a statement about the man...he had a lot of help to get the state there.

:couch:

FWIW, Texas isn't any different from most states, and since the rape kit fees were an issue during the election, I remember that it fizzled when it was discovered that the bill Obama himself proposed as a legislator in Illinois only gave assistance to pay for them to women who had medicaid or had no insurance - I think just like Texas does.

What went wrong in this story isn't Texas law to my understanding, but that the people who run the special fund, set aside to pay for these things as it should be, dropped the ball.

And just to defend my beloved state, Texas' numbers always reflect a struggle with things like education and health care in large part due to the huge extra burden of illegal immigrants. :sheesh:

:blowkiss:, no offense to you Jholi!!

I loved TX-my frustration with the state started with the grandfathered refineries still pumping into the atmosphere but causing the most extraordinary sunsets, as well as elevated levels of asthma and skin rashes among other things...while I get that there are issues with immigration, TX relies quite a bit on non resident workers to build homes, take entry level jobs and generally provide worker infra-structure to the state. You cannot rely heavily on the NRA population to take the jobs residents are unwilling to take and then complain when they have needs such as education and healthcare...jmo...

But we digress-the issue is not with TX alone-I would urge other Wsers to check into their state laws concerning the same issue...should crime victims be responsible for bills incurred as a result of being a victim??

FWIW, Texas isn't any different from most states, and since the rape kit fees were an issue during the election, I remember that it fizzled when it was discovered that the bill Obama himself proposed as a legislator in Illinois only gave assistance to pay for them to women who had medicaid or were in need - I think just like Texas does.

What went wrong in this story isn't Texas law to my understanding, but that the people who run the special fund, set aside to pay for these things as it should be, dropped the ball.

And just to defend my beloved state, Texas' numbers always reflect a struggle with things like education and health care in large part due to the huge extra burden of illegal immigrants. :sheesh:

:blowkiss:, no offense to you Jholi!!

I loved TX-my frustration with the state started with the grandfathered refineries still pumping into the atmosphere but causing the most extraordinary sunsets, as well as elevated levels of asthma and skin rashes among other things...while I get that there are issues with immigration, TX relies quite a bit on non resident workers to build homes, take entry level jobs and generally provide worker infra-structure to the state. You cannot rely heavily on the NRA population to take the jobs residents are unwilling to take and then complain when they have needs such as education and healthcare...jmo...

But we digress-the issue is not with TX alone-I would urge other Wsers to check into their state laws concerning the same issue...should crime victims be responsible for bills incurred as a result of being a victim??

LOL I can't help it, I love my state. :blowkiss:

I live in Plano, so haven't noticed problems from refineries, but we have more than enough asthma and rashes from all the pollen. I agree with you that we are paying the price for our illegal immigrants, and no, no one should ever bill a rape victim for gathering of evidence. Reprehensible. :cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back