Quarries in the area.

JustJax

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I know we have been kicking it around for some time now but SS sugested a thread for listing the quarry locations.

Here is an example of just one that I used to frequent as a teen. These waters are deep folks and the area is very isolated from what I remember.

Got bit by a water snake while swimming and jumping off the rocks here and that ended my desire to do anthing other than fishing there since then.

http://www.township.com/lemont/historical/PixPages/Quarries/Quarry1.htm

Quarries or storage unit???
IMO, he would go to watch over allot,
the criminal always returns to the crime!
Like Scott P......he would watch to see if any action.
Where did he go allot.
How long was he gone?
15 min? 7 min over 7 back and 1 to look..........LOL

I hope he kept a journel!
DP seems to like trophies!

There are also some lakes (Whalon Lake ) (old quarries) over off of Royce Road in Naperville off of Naperville road. This turns into Weber as you get into Bbrook. This is only a couple of miles from DP's house. There is a park and also a dog park that was being built probably about the time Stacy went missing. There are hardly any houses on this side of Royce Rd.

http://www.fpdwc.org/whalon.cfm

Just Jax -

Is it possible to even dredge quarries? They're so deep - how could they ever find a body/barrel?

I know Lemont is about 10 or 15 minutes away for him and Romeoville is close too. I am at work, haven't had time to take a good look at the list yet, but will get back to it later. Lockport Canal is where they did an extensive search last fall, I went past a few times while they were out there.

Just Jax -

Is it possible to even dredge quarries? They're so deep - how could they ever find a body/barrel?

I would think not, they are so damn deep, plus the currents and undertows are so dangerous that I think they would be impossible to dive there.
We take our fishing boat out on the waters of some flooded strip mines near the Kankakee river and I could let my line drop to the bottom till the reel is empty, that's how deep some of these flooded quarries and mines are.

There are also gravel quarries as you go northwest from the area. Not as deep as limestone quarries, but the walls have a tendency to subside. And as you go past Ottawa, there are sandstone quarries.

Interestingly there are dive teams listed for scuba diving in NE Illinois. Haigh Quarry in Kankakee and Brandon Quarry in Joliet. I'd eliminate those two for sure..(unless Drew dives?) Not sure if any other are active dive sites, but would be worth looking into.

(who'd have thought there was scuba diving in NE IL... news to me. )

There is a breaking news story on the local news that a woman's body has been found off of Arsenal Road in Channahon - there's ponds and small lakes out there, I'll keep listening. I didn't think there were too many quarries though in Channahon.

ETA - it's at a marina off of the Des Plaines River, no quarry on this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back