1233 users online (210 members and 1023 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do pets grieve? The question hits home after loss of Rufus.

Do pets grieve? The question hits home after loss of Rufus

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...M_Exclude=Juno

Read 'mzfitz' comment also.

There are two famous examples of pets grieving--one is Seaman, the dog belonging to Merriweather Lewis (of Lewis and Clark expedition fame) and the other is Hachiko, a dog belonging to a Japanese owner. You can google both names for books written about the dogs.

Absolutely. We lost my old dog Molly in September, and the younger one did nothing but lay on the couch where she used to sleep and act miserable for a week. It was very obvious she was grieving the loss of her friend.

They do grieve. My three old dogs are so sad since Rudy went outside and never came back. They have hardly eaten since 04/29 of this year. They are constantly looking for him and if his name is spoken they get excited.

I believe that our animal companions are an extension of ourselves. They do understand love and loss, tragedy and grief.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

My brothers dog still checks the car for my beloved Rufus whenever we visit-she spends at least an hour leading us back to the car as if to say, "OK, where is he???" They were such close, close buddies even though Rufus passed in February last year.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

My experience has been that yes, absolutely, they do.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I don't think any of us who are observers of behavior by profession, and dog lovers by nature, could ever question whether dogs feel and express loss.

They grieve over the loss of a bonded companion pet ( which may be a hamster, cat, turtle or other dog- companion is companion), as well as their humans.

I volunteer with a breed rescue group. The breed is known for its extreme bonding to both people and other animals. On Petfinder.com, there are many bonded pairs of dogs for adoption, some dog/ cat bonded pairs, and I was told of a rabbit/ dog bonded pair.
    Bonded pair means that the two are as close as a mother dog/ puppy and are extremely distressed when separated for even short periods of time.

We also take in dogs whose owners have died. Some of them never stop looking out the window, or listening at the door.

I remember reading about " Greyfriars Bobby" when I was a little girl. Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye Terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh, Scotland, after reportedly spending fourteen years guarding his owner's grave, until his own death on 14 January 1872.

Here's the Wikipedia entry about him. It is extremely touching and I have always believed that G.B. did spend most of his time at his master's grave.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby
    Last edited by KateB; 05-30-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

i completely agree that they do! at least dogs anyway...

friends of ours lost one of their dogs recently and the other one was a mess...until they got her a puppy to mommy over. she sprang back to life.

they named the pup ouzo because he was the "best cure"

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Without a doubt!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I think so. When the dog I'd had the longest died in 2001, the younger one knew something was wrong. He howled for at least two weeks every night and started sleeping in her dog house. He never slept in his own dog house ever again.

I believe they do.

Anyone remember Where the Red Fern Grows??? Big tear jerker from when I was a kid & based on a true story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Red_Fern_Grows
    Last edited by KateB; 05-30-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Oh, I know absolutely pets grieve. I saw it with my own dogs after one died.

I also remember seeing a pack of stray dogs on a rural road. One of them had been hit by a car & killed, and the others, 4 of them, were all lying nearby with the saddest looks on their faces.

Another time, I lost one of my two Aussie Shepherds to cancer, and the remaining one went into a depression afterwards. She just couldn't get over it, and we were so attached to the dog we lost, it took some time before we could settle on getting another. But it was getting another dog that finally brought our girl Aussie up from her depths of despair.

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    When our beloved Boxer Bo died, my little terrier mix made these noises that sounded like crying for several weeks...it was so sad.

She also dragged his collar around with her for several days and took to sleeping in his bed.

Yes, I believe that animals grieve.

ETA: I think that I once read somewhere that there is scientific evidence that elephants grieve.
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

Quote Originally Posted by EmMomma View Post
    When our beloved Boxer Bo died, my little terrier mix made these noises that sounded like crying for several weeks...it was so sad.

She also dragged his collar around with her for several days and took to sleeping in his bed.

Yes, I believe that animals grieve.

ETA: I think that I once read somewhere that there is scientific evidence that elephants grieve.
    Yes, elephants do grieve. It's so touching and heart wrenching at the same time.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5RiHTSXK2A"]YouTube - Elephants grieving - BBC wildlife[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    My experience has been that yes, absolutely, they do.
    Of course, they grieve. Whether they experience grief exactly as we do is hard to measure, but since no two humans grieve in exactly the same way, what does it matter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast