1016 users online (179 members and 837 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Oldest Man-Made Sculpture Found in Germany

The known oldest man-made figurine has been found in a cave in Germany. It is being dated back to 35,000 yrs ago. It is similar to Venus figurines that have been found all over Europe but this one is much older. Pretty amazing this little thing has sat in that cave for 35,000 years. I love stuff like this. I love thinking about a human, who 35,000 yrs ago was physical no different than we are today sitting there carving this figurine. He or she dies, maybe the figurine was given to another member of their clan, the clan moved on and the figurine was left behind and 35,000 yrs later it is recovered.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/...dest_sculpture
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Way cool! Thanks for the link.

I absolutely love the links you bring to us Gaia! Thank you
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting find. Both you finding the article and the statue itself.

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

It is so freaking cool when things that go way, way, way, way, way, way back are found.

Unfortunately, my mind is whacked... at first glance I thought the scientist was holding poo in their hand.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Very interesting find. Both you finding the article and the statue itself.

I get an 'Archaelogy Today' e-mail newsletter. There is really cool stuff being found all the time out there - some is just a little cooler than the rest
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    It is so freaking cool when things that go way, way, way, way, way, way back are found.

Unfortunately, my mind is whacked... at first glance I thought the scientist was holding poo in their hand.

LOL! When I saw the pic I thought it sure looked a hell of a lot like something I scooped out of the cat pan last night......

Here is a better picture of her:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...nders.html#ph0
    --Ghandi

Its a pre historic statue of Rosie O Donnel... the Rosie of Willendorf?
    Lashelle

"Remember, They will never buy the cow if they can get the eggs for free! " ... Kelly Bundy

Loved the link!

I am a tad miffed .....how does anyone know a woman didn't carve it?

Like maybe it was some type of self portrait while she was in the last stages of pregnancy? Or maybe the father of the expected baby carved it for her?

The dude that claimed they were obsessed with sex....seems rather ignorant to me. It could have been carved for any one of a thousand reasons!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

To me it looks like many a Pagan goddess sculptures I have seen. The wide hips, enlarged breast and bulging belly is a common theme in Pagan statuary... they represent "Mother Earth" as well as fertility rights. I could easily see this sculpted by a woman... that is for sure.

Thanks Gaia! How cool. I too also enjoy reading about prehistoric humans. I particularly love the Clan of the Cave Bear books. Have any of you read them? The movie was ridiculous though. Jean Auel puts tremendous research into her books. Its incredible that after reading her books, I would see new finds and updated information that I first read about in her books. In particular, she based one of her characters, Mo-gur on a real person whose remains were found buried in a cave (in Russia? I want to say). She also mentions and provides drawings of some of the famous Venus figurines. To me that was just fantastic.

Here are some pics of other Venus figurines that have been found all over Europe dating from 35,000 upto as early as 8-10,000yrs ago. They are all very similar in appearence. There are of course lots of theories as to their origins. Probably the most prevailing one being they are a representation of a goddess, the earth mother representing the bearer of life hence the large breasts and belly. There are some issues with that theory because some Venus figurines that have been found are not robust.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_figurines
    Last edited by KateB; 05-30-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by BeavisMom62 View Post
    Thanks Gaia! How cool. I too also enjoy reading about prehistoric humans. I particularly love the Clan of the Cave Bear books. Have any of you read them? The movie was ridiculous though. Jean Auel puts tremendous research into her books. Its incredible that after reading her books, I would see new finds and updated information that I first read about in her books. In particular, she based one of her characters, Mo-gur on a real person whose remains were found buried in a cave (in Russia? I want to say). She also mentions and provides drawings of some of the famous Venus figurines. To me that was just fantastic.

I sent you a PM about Clan of the Cave Bear series
    --Ghandi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/...dest_sculpture

I'm sticking with my opinion that the sculpture was meant to be laying down as displayed in this picture and that it is actually an intertwined couple.

I saw that too RAG when I first looked at it. Here is another picture of it standing up. It looks more like the figure of a person in this one.

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...EnoughNews#a=1

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...54D3QS20090514

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...EnoughNews#a=2
    --Ghandi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast