Boom in bedbugs

Yuck. They do not address WHY they are back. What caused this?

I would not be able to handle that. I would sleep on an air mattress! Gross, gross, gross. I hate bugs.

This is why I can't be a Buddist. I've tried but I can't help but kill disgusting little bugs.

Oh not again,doesn't this outbreak occur every two years or so.:waitasec:

It has been a huge problem in Cincinnati for a few years now. I have nightmares about these things. There is absolutely no way I could ever sleep in my place again if I ever found one!!!

Holy Cow!!! I thought they were an old wives tale- like the sandman!:eek:

I checked tripadvisor.com before making a reservation at a hotel. I'm glad I did because someone reported beg bugs in the hotel. Needless to say I stayed elsewhere. People can write anything in their ratings but I didn't want to take the chance.

I live in NYC and there is a bed bug epidemic. They are in the subways, luxury apts, hotels, everywhere.

I have had my apartment sprayed 6 times and we still have them. After treatment I won't see or feel one for months but then they start again. I woke up this morning with bites on my arm for the first time since January. It is not a pleasant thought to think about little bugs living around your mattress and sucking your blood in your sleep. I have mattress covers over the box spring and matress pad which is suppose to keep them out but apparently that is not working.
It doesn't help that according to the exterminator most of the people in my building are not complying with preparations for treatment. You are supposed to wash everything i.e. all clothes, bedding, curtains, etc and take everything off your walls, off shelves so basically pack up like you are moving. Admittedly it is pretty impossible to do everything but at least make an effort.

After dealing with this for 3 years I think really the only solution is to throw everything you own away and move.

I live in NYC and there is a bed bug epidemic. They are in the subways, luxury apts, hotels, everywhere.

I have had my apartment sprayed 6 times and we still have them. After treatment I won't see or feel one for months but then they start again. I woke up this morning with bites on my arm for the first time since January. It is not a pleasant thought to think about little bugs living around your mattress and sucking your blood in your sleep. I have mattress covers over the box spring and matress pad which is suppose to keep them out but apparently that is not working.
It doesn't help that according to the exterminator most of the people in my building are not complying with preparations for treatment. You are supposed to wash everything i.e. all clothes, bedding, curtains, etc and take everything off your walls, off shelves so basically pack up like you are moving. Admittedly it is pretty impossible to do everything but at least make an effort.

After dealing with this for 3 years I think really the only solution is to throw everything you own away and move.

You are the second person I've heard talk about the epidemic in NYC. I was in a book store a couple years ago and an employee asked if she could help. I said no, I'm just looking for a good travel book for NYC. She told me she used to live in NYC and warned me about the bed bugs. I asked for recommendations on hotels and she said it didn't matter if it was a 5 star or 2 star...you're taking your chances. Not long after that, a woman was on the news suing a hotel in West Virginia (I believe) because she had been bitten so badly by bed bugs. The pictures were really bad---red welts all over her body.

What I don't understand is bed bugs supposedly don't carry diseases but they suck your blood. If a mosquito can carry diseases, I don't understand why bed bugs can't. :waitasec:

Yeah, they are really bad. There doesn't seem to be much of a solution as far as eradicating them. They can live for up to two years without eating which means when you have your apt sprayed those that are way, way back in the walls where the poison is not penetrating can stay back there for up to 2 yrs.

It is pretty frustrating because the mgmt company lets all the tenants schedule their own appt and there is not a window to have it done by. So if I get my apt done but the people next to me don't get theirs done until 2 wks later I am re-infested. They have to have a day where every single apt is done on the same day. It is so stupid and inefficient. It is also extrememly expensive because I have 4 cats which means i have to pay for 4 cats to board overnight someplace. It cost around $2-300 each time for me to do that.

They don't carry diseases but I don't know why. I looked it up but didn't really find an explanation.

This is a pretty good website. Everything you have ever wanted to know about bedbugs. If you visit the forum it becomes evident just how many people are affected.

http://bedbugger.com/

I am so sorry gaia and anyone else who is experiencing the bed bug epidemic. No one is exempt from this and is sadly mistaken if they think they are.

College campuses are experiencing a huge problem and the finest hotels in the states as well. I will not bring any used furniture or anything into my home used because of fear of bringing in the bb’s. They like to hide and come out at night.

It has nothing to do with being clean. Be careful because if you visit someone that has them, you can bring them back to your home without even knowing it. They can get in your car, handbag, a grocery bag, etc.

Fortunately, I think government is starting to pay some attention to this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back