Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Woman Woken By Decomp Fluid

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,239

    Woman Woken By Decomp Fluid

    http://cbs2.com/watercooler/Decompos...2.1015167.html

    May 20, 2009 5:36 pm US/Pacific

    Woman Woken By Fluids Dripping From Corpse

    ..."I was sleeping on the couch. I was awakened by some drops that hit my face," Pena recalls. "I thought I was drooling." ...

    ...It wasn't drool or water dripping from her ceiling. It was bodily fluids from the upstairs apartment ...


    The article goes on to explain that even though her apt. was cleaned and deodorized her insurance company wouldn't cover her loss of property, they now have because of media coverage.

    I've never heard of a story such as this and thought I would share.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    488
    This is very interesting, gross and horrible, but interesting especially in light of the Casey Anthony case. Thanks for sharing!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nephers For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,029
    it's too early for this...lol

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momtective For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    Posts
    16,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    http://cbs2.com/watercooler/Decompos...2.1015167.html

    May 20, 2009 5:36 pm US/Pacific

    Woman Woken By Fluids Dripping From Corpse




    The article goes on to explain that even though her apt. was cleaned and deodorized her insurance company wouldn't cover her loss of property, they now have because of media coverage.

    I've never heard of a story such as this and thought I would share.
    What a nightmare for this woman. She is right there is no other smell like a decomposing body of a human being.

    Unfortunately I have had the sad experience to smell it twice in my life and this lady will never get that smell out of her senses or nostrils. It has been decades since I smelled this smell yet at times when I think of it the smell comes rushing back as strong as it was when it happened and I still gag when thinking about it.

    She will continue to think she smells the decomp on her clothing even if she replaces everything.

    imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oceanblueeyes For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,239
    OCB I too had an experience with it once. You're right, it becomes like a scent memory and can come flooding back to you at certain moments. It's something you never ever forget once you smell it, and it's something that you never mistake for anything else if you smell it again. Ever.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    44
    Not to blame the lady or anything, but didn't she smell it before it started dripping?

  12. #7
    Oh my goodness, that poor woman. Poor neighbor who lost his life as well Sad that he wasn't discovered sooner.

    Indeed interesting her notations about decomposition odor. Maybe she should testify in the CA case as to how it does not smell like a dead animal or rotting food.

    I'm also glad her insurance agreed to pay the costs for replacement for her items.
    Last edited by Disguiseduser0308; 05-22-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: change "that" to "the"

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disguiseduser0308 For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kansas city, mo
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Disguiseduser0308 View Post
    Indeed interesting her notations about decomposition odor. Maybe she should testify in the CA case as to how it does not smell like a dead animal or rotting food.
    I've never smelled a dead body or anything, but I used to work at this apartment complex and there was this one hallway that smelled awful. So at least once or twice a week I would mention it to the manager. Finally, it cost me a lease, so I took the manager up to the area and got the maintenance man up there. Someone had moved out and they were using that apartment as storage, but when they cleaned out the fridge they stuck the food (meat) in the sink.

    Not knowing what a dead body smelled like, I was really nervous that someone had died in there. Luckily it was less sinister.

    But if dead bodies smell worse than 3 month old rotten meat, I hope I never come in contact with it.

    ETA: Not that I would want to come in contact with a dead body if it smelled better, either. ;\
    Last edited by kittenish; 05-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittenish For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,210
    That's one of the grossest stories I've ever heard. People in apartments have it bad enough with used bathtubs and toilets, noisy obnoxious neighbors, parking problems, bugs if landlords won't spray regularly, and to add decomp leaking thru the floor is horrible. I hope this poor woman is able to now live in a house or at least a duplex.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenish View Post
    I've never smelled a dead body or anything, but I used to work at this apartment complex and there was this one hallway that smelled awful. So at least once or twice a week I would mention it to the manager. Finally, it cost me a lease, so I took the manager up to the area and got the maintenance man up there. Someone had moved out and they were using that apartment as storage, but when they cleaned out the fridge they stuck the food (meat) in the sink.

    Not knowing what a dead body smelled like, I was really nervous that someone had died in there. Luckily it was less sinister.

    But if dead bodies smell worse than 3 month old rotten meat, I hope I never come in contact with it.

    ETA: Not that I would want to come in contact with a dead body if it smelled better, either. ;\
    That must have been an awful smell. I haven't been exposed to decomp either. I really feel for people who have. It seems to be one of those things that can come and run you over like a truck all over again for no apparent reason.

  19. #11
    This story is disgusting. I do have to agree with the insurance company that the situation is sucky, but she didn't have an umbrella policy to cover something like this. Her policy was a standard renters or home owners policy that doesn't cover this. I do think that it was good of the insurance company to cut her a check for the sake of good PR, but it definately wasn't something the poor lady was entitled to based on her policy.

  20. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kansas city, mo
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    This story is disgusting. I do have to agree with the insurance company that the situation is sucky, but she didn't have an umbrella policy to cover something like this. Her policy was a standard renters or home owners policy that doesn't cover this. I do think that it was good of the insurance company to cut her a check for the sake of good PR, but it definately wasn't something the poor lady was entitled to based on her policy.
    Not being snarky, but is there really a specific policy for "in case your upstairs neighbor dies"?

    The only time I had renter's insurance it was included in my rent and I never read what it covered. I was told, basically anything that was destroyed in a natural disaster, fire, flooding etc. I didn't really think to check about dead bodies upstairs

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Posts
    4,248
    Sounds just like CSI Miami episode, but YUK!

  22. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    860
    That is, without question, the absolutely most disgusting incident I have ever read about.

Similar Threads

  1. Decomp smell **REVISIT**
    By BrandyMarie in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 11:43 AM
  2. Sniff tests, hair decomp, really so conclusive? Fence sitters thread
    By seagull65 in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 664
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •