1133 users online (195 members and 938 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,071

    CO - Marilee Burt, 15, Columbine Valley, 26 Feb 1970

    Marilee Burt was a cheerleader at Goddard Middle School in Columbine Valley, Colorado. On February 26, 1970, she had finished cheerleading at a basketball game. When her ride home did not show up, she began walking the short distance to her home. Several people recall seeing Marilee walking home, and one person recalled seeing her talking to someone in a car. When Marilee never arrived home, her family began searching for her, and reported her missing to the police. The authorities began a search immediately but were unable to find her. The next morning the search continued, and Marilee's nude body was found by a road crew around noon that day. This was southwest of where she was last seen. She had been strangled and raped. No solid leads were ever developed and the case went cold until 1998, when the case was reviewed. Evidence collected in 1970 was submitted for DNA testing and a full donor profile was developed, which allowed a long list of suspects to be eliminated.

    I just read about this case today and haven't done any research on it. Does anyone know about this case?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    Marilee Burt was a cheerleader at Goddard Middle School in Columbine Valley, Colorado. On February 26, 1970, she had finished cheerleading at a basketball game. When her ride home did not show up, she began walking the short distance to her home. Several people recall seeing Marilee walking home, and one person recalled seeing her talking to someone in a car. When Marilee never arrived home, her family began searching for her, and reported her missing to the police. The authorities began a search immediately but were unable to find her. The next morning the search continued, and Marilee's nude body was found by a road crew around noon that day. This was southwest of where she was last seen. She had been strangled and raped. No solid leads were ever developed and the case went cold until 1998, when the case was reviewed. Evidence collected in 1970 was submitted for DNA testing and a full donor profile was developed, which allowed a long list of suspects to be eliminated.

    I just read about this case today and haven't done any research on it. Does anyone know about this case?
    heres a link to a chat website, where they have been chatting about case for awhile........perhaps you can gain some information from there...........i will post more links, when i find them.
    http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums...opic=445&st=60

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    Marilee Burt was a cheerleader at Goddard Middle School in Columbine Valley, Colorado. On February 26, 1970, she had finished cheerleading at a basketball game. When her ride home did not show up, she began walking the short distance to her home. Several people recall seeing Marilee walking home, and one person recalled seeing her talking to someone in a car. When Marilee never arrived home, her family began searching for her, and reported her missing to the police. The authorities began a search immediately but were unable to find her. The next morning the search continued, and Marilee's nude body was found by a road crew around noon that day. This was southwest of where she was last seen. She had been strangled and raped. No solid leads were ever developed and the case went cold until 1998, when the case was reviewed. Evidence collected in 1970 was submitted for DNA testing and a full donor profile was developed, which allowed a long list of suspects to be eliminated.

    I just read about this case today and haven't done any research on it. Does anyone know about this case?
    Another interesting case you've found, Marilyn. I've never heard of this one. I Googled her but didn't find out much more info. It surprises me they haven't found a match for the DNA profile. Hard to believe the perp hasn't committed other crimes and isn't in the system. Let us know if you find any more info on newspaper archives.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,071
    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    heres a link to a chat website, where they have been chatting about case for awhile........perhaps you can gain some information from there...........i will post more links, when i find them.

    http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums...opic=445&st=60
    Thanks so much for this, I will definitely look into this website. I only read about this case a couple of days ago while researching something else, so I will enjoy this chat website.

    Since there is a DNA profile, we can only hope that this case will be solved eventually.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    Thanks so much for this, I will definitely look into this website. I only read about this case a couple of days ago while researching something else, so I will enjoy this chat website.

    Since there is a DNA profile, we can only hope that this case will be solved eventually.
    You are welcomed.

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Posts
    199
    Cases like this make me even crazier than I already am. I just want to get my paws on the file!
    John 3:16

    Everyday it is my fervent prayer that these cases are solved

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,517
    Here is a link to a blog that talks more about Marilee's case:
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcase...walk-home/425/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    140
    This case is so heartbreaking. All of these years with no answers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,517
    It is heartbreaking. I wonder if there were any interesting rumors in high school about this case.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,189
    http://www.9news.com/news/crime/unso...burt/402296370

    She was expecting her mother, Sherry Burt, to pick her up that night after a basketball game. Somewhere along the way there was a mix-up and Marilee, still in her cheerleader’s uniform, set out on foot from Goddard Middle School...

    Police found DNA on Marilee’s body, but a crime lab analysis still hasn’t come up with a match to anyone in local or federal databases.

    Ramone was able to offer police a vague description of the man that Marilee stopped to talk to. He described him as a 30 to 40-year-old white man. He had dark brown hair with a receding hairline and long square sideburns.

    Sherry Burt spent decades trying to help find her daughter’s killer. She died in 2013 without ever learning the truth.

    “She was just tormented her whole life,” Ramone said. “I think she’s the one who really felt guilty.”


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    That brother's name is Raymond, not Ramone. It was even reported incorrectly on 9News. I went to school with the oldest brother... this was devastating to the family and community. We were scared to death for months.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    50
    What an awful story with no answers after all these years. I can not imagine how hard it would be on a family having no answers. It is hard to believe that this was a one time incident and the killer never struck again. Was the man she talked to ever located? Is the DNA in CODIS now?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    18,836
    http://www.9news.com/news/crime/unso...burt/402296370
    Police found DNA on Marilee’s body, but a crime lab analysis still hasn’t come up with a match to anyone in local or federal databases.
    Ramone was able to offer police a vague description of the man that Marilee stopped to talk to. He described him as a 30 to 40-year-old white man. He had dark brown hair with a receding hairline and long square sideburns.
    rbbm
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcase...lk-home/425/2/
    She was a ballet and tap dancer. She was into swimming and diving, water skiing and gymnastics. She was a B student who was involved in student council. She dreamed of going to New York City some day to join a ballet company.

    At home, Marilee had always been required to abide by strict rules that included never accepting a ride home from strangers and never walking home alone.
    It is one of the reasons authorities believed at the time that she accepted a ride from someone she knew.
    In 1981, authorities suspected a volunteer gymnastics instructor, who had a 30-year record of sexually assaulting girls and disabled women and who had taught Burt at her school. Marilee was to perform in a gymnastics exhibition the next week.
    http://www.9news.com/news/crime/unso...burt/402296370


    Last edited by dotr; 09-02-2017 at 07:42 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,517
    All those links were already posted up thread. I thought you were posting new info.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
    All those links were already posted up thread. I thought you were posting new info.
    Sorry about that - just wanted to post the pics and also reiterate information that, imo, seemed important and interesting.
    Hoping that soon there will be fresh links to post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. The Problem with Marilee Bruszer and Other Unidentified
    By Earth in forum Unidentified "How To" & Reference Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2016, 12:02 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 11:46 PM
  3. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-28-2016, 05:44 AM
  4. Burt's Bees
    By tired.old.hag in forum WS-BAY!
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:52 AM

Tags for this Thread