CO CO - Marilee Burt, 15, Columbine Valley, 26 Feb 1970

Marilynilpa

Reaction score
Marilee Burt was a cheerleader at Goddard Middle School in Columbine Valley, Colorado. On February 26, 1970, she had finished cheerleading at a basketball game. When her ride home did not show up, she began walking the short distance to her home. Several people recall seeing Marilee walking home, and one person recalled seeing her talking to someone in a car. When Marilee never arrived home, her family began searching for her, and reported her missing to the police. The authorities began a search immediately but were unable to find her. The next morning the search continued, and Marilee's nude body was found by a road crew around noon that day. This was southwest of where she was last seen. She had been strangled and raped. No solid leads were ever developed and the case went cold until 1998, when the case was reviewed. Evidence collected in 1970 was submitted for DNA testing and a full donor profile was developed, which allowed a long list of suspects to be eliminated.

I just read about this case today and haven't done any research on it. Does anyone know about this case?

Marilee Burt was a cheerleader at Goddard Middle School in Columbine Valley, Colorado. On February 26, 1970, she had finished cheerleading at a basketball game. When her ride home did not show up, she began walking the short distance to her home. Several people recall seeing Marilee walking home, and one person recalled seeing her talking to someone in a car. When Marilee never arrived home, her family began searching for her, and reported her missing to the police. The authorities began a search immediately but were unable to find her. The next morning the search continued, and Marilee's nude body was found by a road crew around noon that day. This was southwest of where she was last seen. She had been strangled and raped. No solid leads were ever developed and the case went cold until 1998, when the case was reviewed. Evidence collected in 1970 was submitted for DNA testing and a full donor profile was developed, which allowed a long list of suspects to be eliminated.

I just read about this case today and haven't done any research on it. Does anyone know about this case?
heres a link to a chat website, where they have been chatting about case for awhile........perhaps you can gain some information from there...........i will post more links, when i find them.
http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=445&st=60

Another interesting case you've found, Marilyn. I've never heard of this one. I Googled her but didn't find out much more info. It surprises me they haven't found a match for the DNA profile. Hard to believe the perp hasn't committed other crimes and isn't in the system. Let us know if you find any more info on newspaper archives.

heres a link to a chat website, where they have been chatting about case for awhile........perhaps you can gain some information from there...........i will post more links, when i find them.

http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=445&st=60
Thanks so much for this, I will definitely look into this website. I only read about this case a couple of days ago while researching something else, so I will enjoy this chat website.

Since there is a DNA profile, we can only hope that this case will be solved eventually.

Cases like this make me even crazier than I already am. I just want to get my paws on the file!

This case is so heartbreaking. All of these years with no answers. :(

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/unsolved-the-murder-of-15-year-old-marilee-burt/402296370

She was expecting her mother, Sherry Burt, to pick her up that night after a basketball game. Somewhere along the way there was a mix-up and Marilee, still in her cheerleader’s uniform, set out on foot from Goddard Middle School...

Police found DNA on Marilee’s body, but a crime lab analysis still hasn’t come up with a match to anyone in local or federal databases.

Ramone was able to offer police a vague description of the man that Marilee stopped to talk to. He described him as a 30 to 40-year-old white man. He had dark brown hair with a receding hairline and long square sideburns.

Sherry Burt spent decades trying to help find her daughter’s killer. She died in 2013 without ever learning the truth.

“She was just tormented her whole life,” Ramone said. “I think she’s the one who really felt guilty.”

That brother's name is Raymond, not Ramone. It was even reported incorrectly on 9News. I went to school with the oldest brother... this was devastating to the family and community. We were scared to death for months.

What an awful story with no answers after all these years. I can not imagine how hard it would be on a family having no answers. It is hard to believe that this was a one time incident and the killer never struck again. Was the man she talked to ever located? Is the DNA in CODIS now?

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/unsolved-the-murder-of-15-year-old-marilee-burt/402296370
Police found DNA on Marilee’s body, but a crime lab analysis still hasn’t come up with a match to anyone in local or federal databases.
Ramone was able to offer police a vague description of the man that Marilee stopped to talk to. He described him as a 30 to 40-year-old white man. He had dark brown hair with a receding hairline and long square sideburns.
rbbm
http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcas...gh-cheerleader-disappears-on-walk-home/425/2/
She was a ballet and tap dancer. She was into swimming and diving, water skiing and gymnastics. She was a B student who was involved in student council. She dreamed of going to New York City some day to join a ballet company.

At home, Marilee had always been required to abide by strict rules that included never accepting a ride home from strangers and never walking home alone.
It is one of the reasons authorities believed at the time that she accepted a ride from someone she knew.
In 1981, authorities suspected a volunteer gymnastics instructor, who had a 30-year record of sexually assaulting girls and disabled women and who had taught Burt at her school. Marilee was to perform in a gymnastics exhibition the next week.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Still0208_00000_1486556554260_8365347_ver1.0.jpg
    Still0208_00000_1486556554260_8365347_ver1.0.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Still0208_00009_1486556554204_8365346_ver1.0.jpg
    Still0208_00009_1486556554204_8365346_ver1.0.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 80
All those links were already posted up thread. I thought you were posting new info.

There is conflicting information at the above links:

Some say that Raymond, (not Ramone) Marilee's brother did not recognize the girl that he saw walking down the dark road and talking to a man in a pickup because the girl was wearing pony-tails and also it was very dark. Marilee did not wear pony tails according to this article.

Others say that Raymond saw the girl walking in the dark and did not realize that she was his sister. Don't know which is correct.

Others say that Marilee left a phone message for her mother, but did not tell her she was no longer at school. Presumably she was at her friends house, calling from her friends house, or maybe calling from a payphone. The mix-up on the time and the location led to a horrible tragedy.

Marilee had been given strict orders by her parents never to accept rides from strangers or to walk home alone. LE believes she may have accepted a ride from someone she knew.

DNA evidence was found on her body, but LE have never been able to match it to any suspects.

Her brother was able to provide a vague description of the man in the pick up truck that he saw in his rear-view mirror.

Marilee's books and clothes, any other personal belongings have never been found.

Satch

if her books and personal belongings were never found, sounds like were kept for a souvenir. Which makes me think he probably killed again, but maybe wasn't as sloppy. I hope his info is in the system now and i hope they find him.

if her books and personal belongings were never found, sounds like were kept for a souvenir. Which makes me think he probably killed again, but maybe wasn't as sloppy. I hope his info is in the system now and i hope they find him.

The sad part is that full justice may not happen for Marilee's murderer as the killer could be dead. The only consolation is that he can't hurt or kill anyone anymore if that is the case. A lot of conflicting reports. I believe we have DNA from her from what I have read. But we need updates on testing processes.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back