1140 users online (244 members and 896 guests)  

Websleuths News

Exclamation Ground Beef Recall!!! E-coli contamination

Illinois Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products Due To Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination
    Recall Release CLASS I RECALL
    FSIS-RC-022-2009 HEALTH RISK: HIGH

Congressional and Public Affairs
    (202) 720-9113
    Bryn Burkard

WASHINGTON, May 21, 2009 - Valley Meats LLC, a Coal Valley, Ill., establishment is recalling approximately 95,898 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Linkage

I think I am going to become a vegetarian. I am so sick of meat recalls.

Sorry to tell you this, but veggies can have e-coli also. I swear this makes me want to become a farmer and grown our own food.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    Sorry to tell you this, but veggies can have e-coli also. I swear this makes me want to become a farmer and grown our own food.
    True. I was stunned last August when a boy at our school became severely ill with e coli and was hospitalized for several weeks. The family is vegetarian and eats mostly organic. They never were able to identify the source of the infection because no one else they knew got sick, but their best guesses were swimming or the carrots he ate.

Luckily, he recovered, but it was SCARY.

On the same note I almost bought scallions today but I hesitated seeing they were imported from Mexico.

The last couple of years have seen breakouts of eColi in domestic veggies... so if the meat don't get ya, the veggies might. It is almost getting to the point that I'm ready to start growing my own stuff. Though I have no desire to raise animals for consumption... I'd end up befriending them and seeing them as pets. LoL

O/T to the thread but on topic in a way, to everyone that is a reader a very good book that I read years ago about this type of problem is called Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Warning, he does share some of his personal political views which can be distracting ( at least to me, when I buy and read a non-fiction book, I want the facts and nuthin but the facts )

Anyway, good read and explains centralized food production and how these contaminations could become more frequent and how they happen.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

IIRC, large cuts in the FDA's budget over most of the last eight years have really handcuffed their ability to keep up with inspections.

Linky

A 19% increase for the FDA's budget has been proposed in the next budget.

Linky

Hopefully that will go a long way in helping to limit these problems. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    IIRC, large cuts in the FDA's budget over most of the last eight years have really handcuffed their ability to keep up with inspections.

Linky

A 19% increase for the FDA's budget has been proposed in the next budget.

Linky

Hopefully that will go a long way in helping to limit these problems. JMO
    I hope so too SD. The FDA needs a massive overhaul in my humble opinion. The FDA was started, in part, by public outcry over the Sinclair novel "The Jungle" (I read that one too, voluntarily not because it was on a class reading list LOL), and a lot has changed since the FDA's inception.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the FDA gets the increase in budget that it so desperately needs but also gets a major overhaul so that it's current oversights in practices can be remedied. Oversights that have come about because of the changing of the times, not necessarily negligence.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James