Identified! NH - Grafton Co., Female 671UFNH, May'04 - Madeline Gutkowski

future criminologist

Reaction score
arrrghh, this one should be easy, guys - there's a PHOTO of the victim for crying out loud! :)

so here goes - she's got a license from Oregon and a passport from Illinois. that's where I'm starting. she could have gone missing decades ago for all we know.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/671ufnh.html

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on May 1, 2004 in Lincoln, Grafton County, New Hampshire
Estimated Date of Death: From April 16, 2004
Cause of Death: From a neck wound.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 57 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 240 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair. Pierced ears; upper right central incisor is medically chipped.
Clothing: Neutral color long sleeve "Great Northwest" brand henley top with jeweled pin on collar; brown corduroy pants; bright blue "Gallery Woman" brand zippered coat; white "Saucony" brand athletic shoes; white "Nike" socks; white knit cap.
Jewelry: Elaborate metal earrings; cloth necklace with metal amulet; "Anne Klein" wristwatch; three white metal rings with black stones; one white metal ring with blue stone.
Fingerprints: Available; matches the name of Madeline Gutkowski.
Dentals: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
AKA: Dalaina Terra Garren; Madeline Gutkowski

Case History
The victim was found in the Franconia Forest in Lincoln, New Hampshire on May 1, 2004.
She was found with her boyfriend. Although it is believed they both planned their deaths, it could not be determined if their wounds were self-inflicted. There was an Oregon Drivers License with a Portland, OR address and the name Dalaina Terra Garren in her possession. There was also a passport listing Illinois as her birthplace. Fingerprints matched the name of Madeline Gutkowski. Her vehicle was found nearby with a note addressed to the boyfriend's family. His family has claimed his body but her family has not been found.

I did an ancestry check and there was a Madeline Gutowski that married a Douglas Atwater in Nevada sometime between 1956-2005. I do not have a full account with ancestry.com, so I cannot see details, but if someone else does, could they check this out. I wonder which is her correct name? I also wonder why the boyfriends family does not know who she is, or where the boyfriend is from....

Genealogists are usually very good at coming up with family history facts where others fail. There was a woman who was born in Illinois. She died in 2004 in New Hampshire. The medical examiner is searching for family members and have not been able as of yet to find any.
Madeline has lived in Chicago, Norridge, and Elmwood Park, Illinois, time period unknown. She has also lived in California.
I have tried calling several Gutkowski residents in those locations, but they had not heard of her. I am unsure if Gutkowski is a married name or a birth name.
Here is the link.
http://tinyurl.com/3g7mvh
I have tried newspaper archives. I have a subscription, but found nothing on her.
I don't have a subscription at present to ancestry and I saw there are only 2 links, one the federal census from 1930 - not her as she was born 9/9/1946. The other is a link to Nevada marriage index from 1956-2005 which could very well be her, I just don't know.
I'm posting here because all 3 Illinois cities she has lived in were in Cook County. I'm hoping someone out there can help.
will have to post where I found this later

Dorky question-and the reason they do not believe she is actually Madeline is what?? Clearly her boyfriend has been ID'd? And they know it was a boyfriend and not husband why???

My guess as to why they do not believe this woman is necessarily Madeline Gutkowski is that they have have the evidence of the drivers license in which she used the name of Delaina Terra Garren. This is suggestive that the woman had at least two operating aliases. I would love to know what her fingerprints were on file for.

I did an ancestry check and there was a Madeline Gutowski that married a Douglas Atwater in Nevada sometime between 1956-2005. I do not have a full account with ancestry.com, so I cannot see details, but if someone else does, could they check this out. I wonder which is her correct name? I also wonder why the boyfriends family does not know who she is, or where the boyfriend is from....

Found this on the ancestry boards, someone found a free website and came up with the date 11/27/1978 in Clark County, Nevada.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.illinois.counties.cook/26627.1/mb.ashx

so if her fingerprints have been matched, then she HAS been ID'd, she's just unclaimed, correct?

so if her fingerprints have been matched, then she HAS been ID'd, she's just unclaimed, correct?

thank you for summing up my confusion....:blowkiss: It seemed to me like the police had an ID on her and seemed to have some kind of backstory since they knew the man she was found with was not her husband.

I think the confusion is--who is she? Is she Madeline or is she the other person. Fingerprints may not mean anything, she could have given a false name, and must have a criminal record, in order to have fingerprints on file. I think that is why police are searching--maybe the boyfriends family knew her as some other name, not Madeline or Dalaina.

I think what intrigues me is the presumption that she may not be who she comes back as with the prints. She also had a passport,correct-so she either bought it illegally or she presented a BC and obtained it. I would think that this would be fairly easy to check out....passports are numbered IIRC.

An observation: The names Madeline and Dalaina are very similar in spelling. Likely alias pair....

I wish we knew more about her criminal background and how her fingerprints matched to that name.

i looked into madeline atwater, too, but to no avail. i might check in the local libr. this week (in portland, or). anyone have any other suggestions (as i am local to her registered address)?

nope, didn't know who was taking the LE helm on this one....i thought maybe future crim. might want to take it since she brought this case to the boards.

i did some additional research, and there is no current address for this Madeline since 2001...i think that is interesting. i don't have any of the background check subscriptions, but i have been tempted...does anyone have access to run a check on her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back